378 messages Options
12345678 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If the ammeter is off too, perhaps the alternator went full field or someone jumped the battery with 24V and the key on?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ClayJ
The single green wire is for the optional underhood light.

Not sure of the harness plug on a '81 truck.
But I'm sure it's shown in the EVTM.
Probably for a different engine.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think anything is wrong with the ammeter as it sets in the center when there's no current, and swings to the left when current is flowing out of the battery and to the right when it is flowing in.

As far as the three amigos, fuel/oil/coolant, I don't know.  That's strange.  Let's see what you find out today, Clay.

On the tach, I've seen several of them stop and start at odd times.  Not sure that one did, but if it is then it may need cleaned as they are pretty sensitive to the stuff left over on the printed circuit from soldering.  Or, as Jim said, maybe the wire has a break.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Just thought you gents would like to see the failed flexplate removed from Rusty.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That broke it out right at the bend, which would be expected.  And it really does look like the wrong flex plate.

So, did you get Rusty home?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Not yet, drove him 15 miles from the shop to the in laws home as We're using this as an opportunity to visit. Will be making the big trip home tomorrow morning and prepare for new windshield glass on Tuesday and hopefully a state inspection Wednesday.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Just going over Rusty and cleaning everything in preparation for the state inspection and found the hazard lights weren't working. Turn signals and brake lights were working just fine though. Thanks to Gary's impeccable documentation and publishing of manuals and diagrams I chased the issue down to the hazard relay on the back of the fuse panel. One new relay later, hazards are working just fine! I did notice that fuse 1 has a 30 amp fuse instead of the 20 amp the manual calls for. Also removing the fuse block makes installing the new hazard relay much easier.

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Wow! I've never seen a flex plate break that cleanly. It's usually a very jagged break, and the engine will continue to run, but have a  knock at idle that sounds like bearings, but goes away when you put the trans in gear.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you found it and got it fixed, easily.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Looks like it was flexing enough to get really really hot where it was hanging in on the left hand side!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I bet it was glowing when it let go with such a clean break and the heat discoloration.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Well guys something is definitely wrong with the drive line on Rusty. Today he left me on the side of the road... Again! This time I made it 107 miles down I20 before the exact same vibration and shudder occurred and I instantly had no power to the wheels. Fortunately I was able to get into a shell gas station parking lot and call for a tow. I know the flexplate is broken again, there is no way it's still intact. This time there were a few drops of transmission fluid underneath as I waited for the tow. So, I'm thinking back into Rusty's history and trying to think what could be causing the truck to eat flexplates. The mechanic at my FiL's shop guaranteed this is the correct flexplate and he did not reuse that spacer that was incorrectly installed last time. The engine has approximately 8k miles on it since rebuild according to Gary, so that should rule out a bent crankshaft. Possibly a bad torque converter or shaft? I had Rusty taken to a transmission shop closer to my home so no more long hauls across the state and get a fresh perspective on the problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Is the torque converter properly engaged onto the input shaft?

Dude, this sucks for you. Im sorry to see this.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I wish i could tell you for sure but Idk. Had no issues all weekend and then here we go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Well, if the correct flywheel, torque convertor and starter are all bolted together and aligned correctly, it has to be either the crank or transmission input shaft. I mean....what else is there?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, I'm so sorry!  I really can't fathom what the problem could be.  Sure hope the transmission company can figure it out.  This stinks!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
How much did Gary drive Rusty before selling him down the river?

You'd think if the torque converter were bent or not seated right the starter would be making weird noise when it engaged the ring gear on the flex plate.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Something has to be seriously wrong within the transmission for this to keep happening so quickly. Sorry this has become a repeat issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I'm really wanting to get this figured out. I can already tell I'll be breaking flexplates in my sleep tonight.

Jim, the starter engagement sounded just fine. Once the truck was warm just a bump of the starter would get Rusty going.

Shaun, at this rate I'm going to need to update my signature with MPF, miles per flexplate ratings or get into the custom garage clock business.
12345678 ... 19