1 ... 567891011 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
He still has it.
There's got to be a pn stamped on there somewhere.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
All I have to go on is the mechanics word that the flexplate was the correct one. What I want to know is why was the original flexplate cracked warranting this whole deboggle. The guys at my FiL's shop definitely messed up by putting the wrong plate in with a spacer, but something had to be off prior to that. My guess is the torque converter was starting to go internally. Time will tell I guess.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim,
I've asked the transmission shop to put the 2nd broken plate in the toolbox. I'll check the number when I get Rusty home this afternoon.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Well guys it's been a hard fight battle but Rusty is home! I'm going to wait until it's not the heat of the day to go and crawl around

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!!  

Glad he's found a new home - and that he made it there in one piece.  How'd he drive?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ClayJ
So glad Rusty has a home where he can be productive now!

I have to guess the torque converter was the cause?
Who will ever know what happened in those intervening years?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Brought him down the highway 70mph the whole way. Seems to stumble just a bit between 15-20 mph. Wonder if the "timing advance" by ear the shop did was the cause. Other than that all is well at the moment!
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Jim, I'm guessing between the torque converter and a new harmonic balancer that did the trick but I guess time will tell. I would like to add a steering stabilizer to help with feedback and bump steer. So many options!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the timing was set around 12 degrees BTDC.  Obviously with the vacuum advance disconnected.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
So I had a few parts sitting around waiting for Rusty to finally make it home. Tbh I'm very excited to start making upgrades and just making my mark on Rusty. Insert flexplate comments here.........

So I'm starting off by making Rusty ready to pass the state inspection. First off the windshield has to be replaced.

Also, I thought the side markers looked very faded and could use a fresh set with the Sylvania 194 LED'S that Daniel Stern recommended.

Before:

After:

I will eventually replace the other bulbs with the recommended LED'S as well as the JW speaker LED headlights.

Tomorrow's project looks a bit different as I'll be adding a steering stabilizer ordered from Amazon. Anyone used this specific kit?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wow! NO border on that windshield.  

I haven't had a steering damper on my truck.
Do you find the steering jerky, or difficult to control off road?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The side marker light looks good!  And with the LED's I'm sure you'll be seen much easier at night.  Maybe you could do a before and after on the incandescent bulb vs LED?

If you replace the stop/turn signal and the front turn signal bulbs with LED's you'll have to have the right flasher.  However, I think I put a special flasher in there 'cause when I was pulling a trailer it was blinking much too quickly.  So replace the bulbs with LED's and see.  It may work w/o changing out the flasher.

Looking through the windshield I can see where the dash cover ends and the pad shows.  I'd forgotten that I put a dash cover on.

As for the steering damper, I've not installed one, but am curious what difference you see/feel.

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
There's quite a bit of feedback on highway and driving over our rough road. I've heard nothing but good things about steering stabilizers. Someone else may have experienced different.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I admit to not having used one on my truck, so I've got no experience to compare.

I was just wondering what you felt, and the reason you wanted one.

I've been driving this rig for so long it feels entirely normal.
The only time the steering feels wonky is when I get stuck in the center lane truck ruts.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Gary, I can definitely do a before and after LED vs incandescent. Will give an update on the steering stabilizer install as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you a photographer?  If so, you understand that to do a comparison you'll need to take one pic, say the "before" on automatic, then find the aperture and shutter speed that the camera used and dial those settings into the camera on Manual.

Otherwise the camera will automagically adjust the shutter and/or aperture in both cases to get about the same brilliance.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The underhood to led thread really showed how much more light was in the foreground!

It's amazing what happens when you don't waste power making heat.
4W v/s 0.010W and 37% more light?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I have had one converter that failed and ballooned and took out a flex plate. It was on a '85 F150 that I used to have. Mine started knocking only when hot - apparently the converter would shrink a bit when it cooled. I replaced them together so I never experienced multiple failures, but that can certainly do it. I hope that was it and Rusty is good for a long while!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My truck had a steering damper on it when I bought it. I took it off and didn’t notice anything.

Im holding on to it, just in case. Could have been for towing or hauling a truck camper.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
This post was updated on .
Gary, I am by no means a photographer so i feel like i would disappoint. Quick question though, does Rusty have a traditional points setup in the distributor or was he upgraded to digital? Also, wondering if the ignition coil could be starting to fail with the sudden stumble under light load as well as the tach no longer working. I took some of the vacuum advance out and did get a slight change but not much. Engine idles great, just seems to stumble under light load until you push through.
1 ... 567891011 ... 19