378 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When I HAD a garage, the "Wall of Shame" was a huge part of the atmosphere.

Bent rods, holed pistons, broken cranks and yokes, molten carburetors, all kinds of carnage.
And a great story to go with every one.

I miss that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ClayJ
At least you havent broken your sense of humor.

If I were you, Id locate a different transmission if the runout on the crank is in spec, or try a new converter.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I drove Rusty to see my father many times, and that was a 200 mile round trip.  And I think that tranny and torque converter was in it during those trips, and the combo is from Dad's truck.

But I'd have to go back and look at all my posts to see when I did what.  I know my memory isn't what it was, or at least I think it used to be better.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
What happened to the original flex plate that was on the truck when Gary had it, and why was it replaced? My thought is when that happened it damaged some part of the transmission input and that's why it keeps chewing flywheels.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
You better believe at least one of these flexplates are going up on the garage wall. If the crank runout is within spec, the correct flexplate is used with correct torque, the correct dowel pins are installed it would have to be either the converter or something in the transmission. Idk I'm just spit-balling at this point, I've also heard a bad harmonic balancer can cause these to break.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Just had a thought. What are the chances the flexplates are all cheap chinese pieces of cow doodie? Where have you been getting your flexplates?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by salans7
Shaun,
Once I decided that I was going to buy Rusty my FiL had his guys start going through him just to make sure everything would be safe for my trip home. You can see the list of everything they did on page 1. Well, the lead mechanic heard a ticking at idle and diagnosed it as a cracked flexplate. So they dropped the transmission and the flexplate was indeed cracked. Now enter the incorrect flexplate from the parts store. The incorrect plate was for a 351 Windsor, not a modified, so I'm order to align the starter with the flexplate, they cut the center section out of the original flexplate to use as a spacer. That flexplate lasted approximately 100 miles. Here's a picture of the original flexplate with the center section removed, I didn't have the opportunity to see the "spacer".

Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray,

That's a good question I don't have an answer to at the moment.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
ClayJ wrote
.... enter the incorrect flexplate from the parts store. The incorrect plate was for a 351 Windsor, not a modified, so in order to align the starter with the flexplate, they cut the center section out of the original flexplate to use as a spacer.
I'm thinking that extra depth crushed the pump, causing the leak and the bad run-out.

Your FIL'S name isn't Hennessy, is it?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
No sir it is not.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, I certainly hope you get all this sorted soon, so you can start enjoying a beat up old truck with such an epic history and huge fan base!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
ClayJ wrote
.... enter the incorrect flexplate from the parts store. The incorrect plate was for a 351 Windsor, not a modified, so in order to align the starter with the flexplate, they cut the center section out of the original flexplate to use as a spacer.
I'm thinking that extra depth crushed the pump, causing the leak and the bad run-out.
That makes sense, Jim.  There are at least two distances critical with a flexplate - the ring gear/starter alignment and the transmission's input shaft to the pump.  I know if you don't get the converter up on the 2nd step and mash things together with the tranny/engine bolts you'll tear things up because there's so much pressure on the pump.

In this case they put a spacer on to align the starter, but it surely had to put pressure on the pump.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Gary,
If that is the case and the pump is damaged does that warrant a tear down and rebuild of the transmission?  Or is this a case where it has to be replaced as an entire assy? If I remember correctly the transmission has 140,xxx plus miles on it from it's life in your Dad's truck. Had it been rebuilt at some point?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think it has ever been rebuilt.

As for the other question, you've taken it to a transmission shop and I'd rely on their determination, not mine.  However, I'll bet they say they'll pull it apart and replace what is needed.

Glad your FiL's "people" said they'd back it.  If Jim's right, it may be just the pump that's damaged, which is what they should pay for, as well as the tows - both of them.  But not a total rebuild.

However, you may be asking "While they are in there should they go ahead and rebuild it?"  And that's a good question.  I'd ask them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Thanks again for the advice, I'll share what the transmission shop finds as soon as I know something. Btw I'm a firm believer in if we have to take it apart why not upgrade what's inside?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What are your intentions for Rusty?

If you just want to get familiar with him and make a decision on what needs MOAR, then I'd think you would replace the pump (converter if it needs it) and have your way with him for a bit.

At least that's what I would do.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Didn't you take Rusty out east with a load of furniture?
Or was that Dad's Truck?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Honestly Rusty will fill a need. I don't race or do burnouts. What I'll use him for is hauling cargo, lumber, rock, dirt for home use as well as pulling my small 6x12' utility trailer. We live in an old pecan orchard so I'm constantly picking up tree limbs. We also have land out in West Texas where I deer hunt, so light offroading is also in Rusty's future. I just need dependability, ruggednesd and simplicity, all of which Rusty can offer.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh man!

Now my mouth is watering thinking about some venison jerky smoked over pecan.  ðŸ˜‹
Why do you have to do this????         

A C6 is a stout and reliable transmission even in stock form.
You want to keep the fluid 175-195*

If the transmission shop thinks is good don't mess with it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Hahahaha that does sound great. I don't think trans temp will be an issue with the huge cooler Gary installed. Maybe a slight upgrade with a shift kit then?
1 ... 3456789 ... 19