378 messages Options
123456 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
By using LED's you're actually reducing consumed power.

IF you use an electronic flasher instead of putting load resistors in each corner.

There may be a time in the future you'll want the peace of mind having an alternator that actually charges at idle brings.
But these trucks certainly didn't come with a lot of power hungry options from the factory.
Electric windows are a very short load and the blower motor isn't nearly as bad as the electric cooling fans the 130A 3G was meant to support
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Jim,
Do you have a part number for the electronic flasher? Where does the flasher get installed and is it necessary for each LED or does it take care of everything? Not really sure what will be needed to change over from conventional bulbs to LED.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll let Jim answer that side of things, but on the headlights you might want to read this thread: Lighting Upgrades.  And don't miss the link in the first post to the update post toward the end.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ClayJ
There's one on the front of the fuse panel for turn signals and one on the back for the four-way flashers.

I think I would only worry about the turn signals 'hyperflashing'

Give me a few minutes and ill figure a link for an adjustable electronic flasher that fits.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
https://www.amazon.com/CEC-Industries-EF32-Electronic-Flasher/dp/B0031GYS6W
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks for the info Gents. I have a lot to learn about these old trucks. The majority of trucks I've worked on were 2000 and up. I do however have experience with older machines like these big mama's...

Is there a shop manual you would recommend?
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not too well versed in a line going back to 1971, but this one looks pretty comprehensive.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In all seriousness the Factory Service Manual is the most accurate and comprehensive.

I would always want the correct Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual for my year, but Gary has a few up on this site.

The Master Parts Catalog is good to have too.

You can get quite a few of these catalogs on optical disc from HiPo Parts.
Actual paper copies (published by Helm) turn up on eBay all the time.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Hahaha, Jim I wasn't talking about the TM's for the Chinook. I meant shop maintenance manual for Rusty. I don't wrench on 47's anymore, I retired in April. We did have airframes that were originally made by Boeing in the late 50's and then converted to Delta models in the late 80's and early 90's.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Awesome, I'll start my search there. Always prefer to do maintenance by the book.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To me the factory shop manual is the first priority, even though many of the sections are on the site.

The EVTM would be second, but we have the '81, '85, and '86 on the site, and they are a really good sampling.

The Master Parts Catalog might be helpful as well, as Jim said.  But there are two of the digital ones being sold: HiPo & Forel Publishing.  If you get interested we can talk about the differences.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ClayJ
A friend of mine flew Chinooks in Viet Nam!

I wrenched on 53’s in the Marine Corps.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
We still had a few Vietnam era pilots when we deployed in 2003. Extremely skilled guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
So it's official, the incorrect flexplate was installed in Rusty leading to the breakdown. The mechanic says the portion of the flexplate that mounts to the crankshaft sheared off with almost a laser like cut. So we now have the correct flexplate, new starter installed and Rusty is ready to roll. I'll be headed East this weekend to pick him up and bring him home. Also, have a glass company coming out next Tuesday to replace the cracked windshield so I can get him inspected, registered and tagged. Was getting dirty looks with that Oklahoma tag on the back 😂... just kidding guys. Our sister unit was based in Lexington, OK and we always had a great rivalry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!  Glad Rusty is now operable!  

On the windshield, be aware that the VIN was moved on later trucks, and most glass companies want to install the later glass, which obscures the VIN.  That caused me no end of grief when I sold one truck, so if it was my truck I'd make sure they know that you require the correct glass be installed.

Lex?  Used to live across the river in Purcell.  They were are nemesis in football.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Thanks for the reminder on the VIN, I recall seeing that in another thread. I'm having Deep Ellum Auto Glass do the replacement. They come highly recommended for custom, classic, obsolete glass replacement and they do mobile service to boot. Which is great because I particularly don't like driving to or near Dallas.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll bet they know about the Bullnose VIN, but it won't hurt to remind them.  And coming to you is a great service!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've been following the build of a 'Chevy' pickup from Purcell.

Guys name is Joe Santameyer. He's a police officer there.
Took 'Ethyl' and put it on a '90's Dodge Ram chassis but kept it (outwardly) looking very close.

He has a tiny YouTube channel.
But his build is over 100 pages long on Adventure Rider forum.
'50's Chevy meet '90's Dodge.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, you are on ADVRider? Whats your handle there? I was when I lived in Tulsa. Havent been on in 6 years.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bucket O' Bolts

I don't post anymore since I sold the Ducatis and gave my BMW to my friends son.
But I'm still lurking.

Joe's build is really good.
You should check it out.
 Jim,
123456 ... 19