classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
378 messages Options
1234567 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

Ray Cecil
I dont even remember my handle over there. Ill see if I can find that thread.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
https://advrider.com/f/threads/and-so-it-begins-1957-chevrolet-meet-1994-dodge.900040/

Sort of a Napco restomod:

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't post anymore since I sold the Ducatis and gave my BMW to my friends son.
But I'm still lurking.
Jim, if you have any other "old" motorcycles you want to give to an "old" friend [me], just let me know! I rode motorcyles beginning in the '60s and would love to relive my youth!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
1986F150Six wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't post anymore since I sold the Ducatis and gave my BMW to my friends son.
But I'm still lurking.
Jim, if you have any other "old" motorcycles you want to give to an "old" friend [me], just let me know! I rode motorcyles beginning in the '60s and would love to relive my youth!
What are you waiting for Dave?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ray Cecil wrote
1986F150Six wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
But I'm still lurking.
What are you waiting for Dave?

A push?
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Throw caution to the wind. No risk, no reward

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by ClayJ
So I was browsing through a few pictures I had taken of Rusty on the first attempt to bring him home and noticed something peculiar. I'll post the picture and see if anyone can point it out...
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The trailer brake controller?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Twenty miles on a half tank of gas?
Or that the gauge hasn't cooled off yet?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
100 RPM idle speed?
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Take a look at the fuel gauge, ammeter. Then notice that there is no key in the ignition. Shouldn't both those gauges be dead with key off?
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by myrl883
You are right on the tach being off, should show 0 when it's not running, but even with the engine running it's still showing 100. I'm wondering if that could be connected to the fuel and ammeter gauges being live with key off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As Jim pointed out, the oil pressure, fuel level, and water temp gauges are actually thermometers.  There's a heating element in them and the current from the sender heats that up and the gauges slowly climb.  So you could pull the key out and the gauges will slowly fall.  Takes maybe 2 minutes to completely cool off.

But the tach never did sit at 0 when the key was off.  However, it was fairly accurate when the engine was running.  I don't know why.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Clay,
The three gauges are powered by a tiny oscillator known as the Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator.
This creates a square wave that averages about 5 1/2V.

Gary has done a great write-up about using a solid state Swad-j (?) Buck converter to replace the old fashioned contact point unit.

But the cluster shouldn't be seeing any power with the key off.
Those instruments are adjustable, but they shouldn't be reading like that (unless someone was messing with them)

For sure everything was right when Gary sold the truck.
And you say it's been sitting in storage since.    
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I can say that this picture was taken when the truck hadn't run for over 12 hours. Also, shouldn't the ammeter be in full deflection to discharge until the ignition switch is placed in acc on?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
 the tach never did sit at 0 when the key was off.  However, it was fairly accurate when the engine was running.  I don't know why.
Its probably disconnected Gary.

Somewhere, that green wire from the coil is open.
I don't know why.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Jim,
I've seen the write up on the IVCR and wondered if that could be the common link. Yes, Rusty has been sitting in my FiL's shop since buying from Gary. I have no doubt everything was working when sold, for example the tach just stopped working a few days before I went to pick it up when the mechanic was test driving for the flexplate.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Those gauges can't read like that with no power.

My only explanation is that somehow the cluster received a full 12V, the springs inside lost their temper and took a set.

But that doesn't happen from momentary abuse.
You have to leave power connected for a minute or more to turn the gauges into light bulbs.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The 1981 EVTM is here on the site.
You know how to read a schematic.

I'm going to tell you that manual is more of a graphic representation, and that when looking at a circuit you may see a connector (C304) that only shows the wires associated with that one circuit, while the reality may be that the connector carries multiple circuits shown in multiple chapters.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
It doesn't appear that they are set in a fixed position. When driving both the fuel and ammeter gauges worked as advertised. I just happened to notice it when looking at the pictures I snapped of the cluster. Here's a picture under Rusty's hood that shows the firewall near the driver side. The connectors circled appear to be disconnected, any of those the culprit?

1234567 ... 19