1234 ... 29
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dad's Truck Build

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
EDIT: I've added in a document that I'm writing to bring together all of the various threads and posts about this truck:

Apparently I don't have a thread/topic about the whole of Dad's truck, just ones for EFI & E4OD. But there are lots of little details that will get lost if I don't have a place to capture them, so here's a thread about those.

Having said that, there is a question if this ought to be in the Dad's Truck project topic, so let me know what you think as I can move it easily.

Anyway, today I got a bit done toward the front suspension/driveline. I cleaned and media-blasted the two stub axles. That isn't as easy as I'd expected since there are things that need to be protected from the blasting, and there are lots of cracks and crevices in which grease hide. And if the grease isn't gotten out before the part goes in the powder coating oven it'll melt and run out from its hiding place and ruin the finish. So, I may have to bake the parts in the oven for an hour prior to coating them with powder just to bake the grease off.

Then, once they come out of the pre-bake I have to wash them again with brake cleaner and then put high-temp tape on the not-to-be-coated places, including the bearing race, splines, and the u-joint cup bores. So these things are fiddly!

Anyway, here's a before/after on the two shafts. I'm going to be coating them with Eastwood's Silver Lining instead of the Blasted Aluminum I've been using as the Silver Lining has a smoother finish and may not hold dirt/grease as easily as Blasted Aluminum.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dad's Truck Build

85lebaront2
Administrator
You could just copy the entire 200 page micro-analysis from FTE
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't think I haven't thought of that.  

But it ain't that easy as each post needs to be copied.  Which means you could edit out some of the rabbit-chasing.  But, there's usually a reference to said rabbit some place later, and then the thread is broken.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the front axle shafts ready for powder coating today, but didn't actually get them coated.  Tomorrow.

And I did have to bake them in the oven at 400 for an hour to get rid of the grease.  And scrub the grease out of the splines.  And polish some bearing races.  And then mask off the splines and bearing races to prevent them from getting coated.

And last, mask the u-joint cup bores.  Man, that was the hard one.  I first tried to put tape inside them, but that didn't work at all.  Finally I found some aluminum tubing that slips in the bores nicely, and that looks like it'll solve the problem.

So now they are hanging in the booth waiting to be coated.  And I hope all of the grease is out of the cracks and recesses.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
I can confirm that the blasted aluminum finish holds oil & grease quite well. Had I known this, I probably would have chosen something else for the valve covers on my Cummins.
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Paul - Your cover is just blasted?  We didn't powder coat it?  Or did we?

As for Dad's truck, I got the axle shafts PC'd today with the Silver Lining powder, which is smooth.  Here's a shot of the parts hanging in the oven and you can see the pieces of tubing that I used to mask the u-joint bores as well as the tape on the splines and races:

And here are the parts with the masking removed:

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Paul - Your cover is just blasted?  We didn't powder coat it?  Or did we?
I think they looked like this before departing The Garagemahal...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-wp_20140913_001_2ad3095817af1ba8cccaa89bb8eabc388044e6b6.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Now I remember!  Yes, we did PC them - Blasted Aluminum.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Replying mostly to sub this thread.

Is it possible to clearcoat over the 'blasted aluminum' PC?
Would it flow out and bond in the oven?
Giving the valve covers less tooth and a chance to be cleaned.

I can see how that finish might not be the best choice for a diesel engine that gets work done.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't see a 'subscribe to this thread' option here.....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - At the very top under Options - Subscribe via email.

Yes, I could clear-coat truly blasted aluminum, if that's what you mean.  The confusion here is that the powder I've been using is Blasted Aluminum, so I don't know if you meant the powder or the aluminum with a blasted finish.

But, it isn't always easy to put a coat of clear on a previously-coated finish.  That's because the finish cuts down on the electrostatic attraction of the next layer.

Given that, I like to use a powder that has the color but not the texture, and I think this Silver Lining is "it".

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Where are your engine dyno sheets for Dad's truck located?

I am about to post a link here to a FB page called "302, 351W and 460 parts". So get ready for some traffic.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know that I have the dyno sheets posts here.  But I'll look.

Traffic to the site or the forum - or both?  Bring it on!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Perfect!  How'd you find that, David?  I'm curious to know how you search for things or if you just remembered where it is.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
I remembered, Gary... a gift, remember?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I remember.  Well done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, at long last it is time for an update on Dad's truck.  

Today I got a little bit done.  First, I didn't like the look of the frame where the bushing goes:

So I wire-brushed it and flap-wheeled it and then finally used sandpaper on it.  I think it is now smooth enough that it won't hurt the new bushing.  And I'll paint it with POR-15 in a day or two.

Then I set to work on some parts that hadn't gotten media-blasted.  The springs aren't perfectly clean, but I think they are good enough to also take a coat of POR-15, although I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to get to every nook and cranny with a brush.

Anyway, the bolts came out of the blast cabinet in great shape, so they'll get powder coated in a few days.  And the rear transmission mount will also get POR-15'd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got a bit done today, albeit not all that I was hoping for.  Basically, "all" I got done was to touch up the frame in four places, and painting the front springs and the transmission mount.

Here are the springs, although the second coat of paint is still wet in this pic:

And, the other day I bolted the shock mounts onto the radius arms.  But, I did it a bit different than Ford did it.  That's because the shock mounts usually just bolt on with no washers.  However, as the bolt or nut heads turn while you are tightening them that will take the powder coating off.  I had the right washers and discovered there was more then enough length on the bolts, so here's a pic of one:

And here's a closeup, showing no scrapes or scratches.  But my question is - what do you think about having plated washers showing?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think it looks great Gary!

Amazing, the amount of time and care you put into this.
Do you have plastic lined sockets or something?

I'd like to know how many pounds of powder you go through when you're finally finished.
 Jim,
1234 ... 29