397 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 20
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E4OD For Dad’s Truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, the Mustang EEC-IV's are SEFI?  And could be re-sequenced for the 460.  That's a possibility.  That way I wouldn't have to find another harness, and could just move everything over from the '90.

But, what are your thoughts about EFI heads on the block/piston combo I already have?  Can I use my short block with the stuff from the '90?  Meaning heads, intake, exhaust, dizzy, harness, etc.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And.... What pistons do you have?

Sure you can put everything from a 90 top end on an earlier block.

It will fit.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Exactly.  And I don't know what pistons I have.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
There is nothing in all the documentation that came with Big Blue? All you need is a manufacturer and PN.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Unfortunately, no. Vernon had a major falling out with the guy that built the engine. Might have had something to do with the massive oil leaks, which may have had something to do with there being no gaskets on the valve covers as well as many other problems. But I’m sure that the 4 years he waited on the engine didn’t help.

He ended up taking the truck to another shop to have the leaks fixed, or maybe I should say most of them fixed, and that cost another $2k as they had to pull the engine to fix some of the problems. He finally paid the original guy but got no documentation. 😩

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Whatever.
As long as the cam doesn't cause the valves to hit because of the dish, there's no way for a stock head to cause too much compression.

Edit: unless early C8, C9, or D0VE heads on an early short deck block.
11:1 is not happening on today's pump gas.
Except if you have E85 where you live.
Then, look out!  That is a whole different animal.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, I could install a head with a lump of clay on the pistons, turn it over slowly, and then check the thickness of the clay. Or, install the head without a gasket and if there’s no binding know there’s at least .039 of clearance?

But, that brings me back to the question of why. The engine runs well now with the carb, and I do have a few other irons in the fire. 🙈

Guess I’ll put the complete 460 and it’s associated “stuff” back and maybe do it when I run out of projects. But thanks for talking me through the options.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You, run out of projects?????

ROTFL

I like to use soft solder.
Then you can measure with calipers.
Trying to stick a rule through the plasticine without disturbing it and then reading the rule is iffy at best.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Should I try to sell these F3 heads?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
“Plasticine”?  Are you a Brit or at least a Beatles fan?  Last time I heard that word used they were talking about Lucy. 😉  But, I do take your point about trying to measure it, and soft solder would be much better.

Sell the F3 heads?  Were you thinking I wanted them, or?  Sorry, I’m a bit slow.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I worked in an art store when I was a kid.
That's what it's called.

I don't think you're slow.
I'm just wondering if you think they're worth anything.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh!  Dawn. Marblehead. Got it. Yes, I’d list them, on here as well as Craigslist and eBay. Won’t cost anything and someone might need one, or both, as I hear those things sometimes crack.

As for plasticine, I’m not very artsy and had only heard the Beatles use the word until I got to the UK. And early on I assumed, incorrectly, that it is something like celluloid.

Anyway, I’ll check back later. Gotta get busy making sure Big Blue’s trailer brake controller actually works, meaning I’m gonna hook up the trailer and test. Then check trailer tire pressures, lights, etc. The ‘90 donor truck, with its E4OD, awaits!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
*Half* a donor truck awaits.....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As Chris is wont to say, "Depends".  In length, yes about 1/2 of a truck.  In weight, I'm gonna guess 2/3's of a truck since not only will it have the 460, E405, & t-case, but it'll include both driveshafts and both gas tanks plus the fuel lines.

In value, normally I'd not pay anywhere near the $800 I'm paying for a truck that I can't drive.  But, in doing a bit of research the tranny rebuilders get about that for an E4OD core.    And I'll get the running 460 with all of its harnesses, injectors, sensors, manifolds, etc.  And that will let me know more about what goes where.  Then there's the driveshafts that may work on Dad's truck.  And the E4OD crossmember.  And, and, and.......  

But, you are right, it'll look like half a truck.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I wish you were closer.
Got rid of a 4x4 460 E4OD with the dump truck less than two weeks ago.

It was a brand new rebuild and torque converter.
Plow trucks live a hard life.
That one had under 500 miles on it before the cab fell off the truck and they junked it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Yes, that would have been a great find.  

But, I'll take here rather than there.  Granted it is 38 F right now, but it'll go right on up to 54 today with not a cloud in the sky.  My experience in Wilmington, DE is that we get twice as much sun as the East Coast.  And the older I get the more I like SUN!

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I picked up a neat little Wi-Fi borescope, it will easily fit through a 14mm spark plug hole and can be viewed with a smart phone. I believe I posted something on FTE in the Tools thread about it. It would give you a good look at the piston head shape and maybe with a coat hanger wire to the top and recess get a rough idea how deep it is.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - That's a good idea.  And a neat tool to have.  Do you have a link or a brand for the one you have?  And, are you doing it to an iPhone or Android?

I just hooked up Big Blue to the trailer to pull it out of the hidey hole behind the shop, and in doing so I was listening to the idle.  It was dropping one at idle when I first got it, and I think it may still be, although it may be less obvious.  Anyway, when the engine comes out for leak fixing I'm going to run a leak-down test.  And, from the results of that I sorta expect to have to pull the heads as there may be a burned valve.  If so, I'll obviously be able to see the heads and will post a pic or two of them so you'uns can help me ID them.

But, that tool would be handy to have anyway, so let me know what you have and how you like it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, it is an EE6000 from the Tech Garage, it was an ad on Facebook. Here is the email they sent after I ordered it:

Hi William,

Below you will find instructions on using your EE6000 Borescope as well as the apps you can use for operation.

The MOQO is no longer available for Android instead look for "HD SEE" in the play store.

Please continue to use MOQO for the Iphone!

To summarize we like these FREE Apps...

1. For Android Use = "HD SEE" in the app store.
2. For Iphone Use = "MOQO" in the app store.

Operation Instructions:

Turn the unit on with one click and open your phones wifi networks.

Select the network that is YPC-XXXX and type in the password 12345678

Once the unit is connected to your phones wifi, open the app and your good to go!

To turn off click the button twice, and to adjust the light turn the knob/dial on the cable.

Sincerely,

The Tech Garage

PS - Any questions hit us up here..

support@thetechgarage.info
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to  know, Bill.  I'll probably get one of those.  However, after today's experience with Big Blue pinging, I'm not sure I want to increase the compression.

Anyway, I got the donor truck with the E4OD on the lift.  Here's a pic - boy is the body battered:

Here's a shot of the BW1356, which is surprisingly clean:

And, here's the engine compartment, with Jim's wiper motor peeking out at you:

What are these things on the passenger's fender?

And what is this on the hood?

Last, is this the TFI module?

1 ... 567891011 ... 20