233 messages Options
1234567 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My timing chain adventure begins..

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, you've got no slop in the timing chain, fuel in the carb, 150# compression on all cylinders, and no vacuum leaks.

What do you get for a vacuum reading now?

You've been good about keeping the oil full and clean, so I'm assuming you didn't wipe the cam.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Vac is same as before @15 inches at 10 degrees, will increase to 18" @ 20 degrees BTDC.

Oil is changed every year, (seasonal truck with maybe 700mi/year), and have beed adding ZDDP at changes...
Eddy Carb was re-built and calibrated 3 years ago by National Carb in Florida, It has a lifetime warranty, Just called them, will be not problem to ship and rebuild again...
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Like I said before: with a stock cam set straight up and ignition timing at 10 or 12° (whatever it calls for) you should have 20" or more of vacuum.

I'm dumbfounded, but I'm not there looking for clues...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Have you tried adjusting the carb's idle mix?  It is remotely possible that with the retarded cam timing the mix needed to be different.

Then, if that doesn't help, do you have a piston stop?  I'd check TDC to see if the damper is correct.   If it likes to idle at 20 BTDC that is unusual to me.

But, if it likes to idle there try driving it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's a new -keyed- damper.
There's no way it can be initial ignition timing.... still.

I still think the advance is fubar, if anything.

You only need compression, fuel and spark for it to run.

I don't understand the noise it's making, or why it won't pull in higher gears.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I Checked the stamped marks on the new damper and they relate to the marks on the old damper with the keyway cut together.

Standing by my first statement, Jasper would have been cleaner..
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I ran a tank dry on the way home.

I think your fuel pump isn't up to snuff.
Or the in tank screen is clogged.
The carb is not getting the volume it needs.

i don't have a lot of objective observation to go with.
So just my opinion..... given what I've been able to telegraph.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ron - You did install the cam as directed, with the dots aligned?

Jim - You may have something.  A pump delivering too little fuel can cause problems similar to this.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, i asked about volume, not pressure VERY early in the other thread.

Given the evidence inside the timing case I don't think this was a bad move.
Just not the answer to Ron's problem.

But because of his 'confidence' in the fuel delivery I didn't persue it.
Bill or I would have probably had our culprit within an hour if we were 'hands on'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Never touched the Cam, Just did the timing chain.
Cam dot to Crank Key/dot,

I held the carb very close to WOT with hood open and watched the new clear-plastic fuel filter 2" from the carb, it never lost any volume (gas almost to the top) the whole time it was at WOT. Held it WOT for over 30 seconds, Screamed fine.

But step on it with a load, and nothing hits the road, Got to be a carb thing, brand new Autolite plugs, black carbon on #1 plug today.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, but under NO load.
You don't think the secondaries or power valve being open has any effect????

I don't trust Autolite in a lawnmower ,
personally...
I swear by NGK, until I see their screwups too.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by reamer
Sounds like base ignition timing (including the distributor being a tooth off or plug wire routing) to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
So today I pulled the #1 plug to check TDC and Rotor location.
On the compression stroke, Rotor lines up nicely on #1

But the plug (with about 2 hours service on it) was full of black powdery carbon.
Pulled all the plugs,- all Carbonized....

Pulled Eddy carb, inside the intake is wet with gas.

So it has a lifetime warranty on it from National Carbs in Florida, so I'll send it out Monday but I fear I'll lose most of the rest of the driving season..
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I had an AFB from a Buick 300 V8 that as near as I could tell had a hairline crack in one float bowl, ran good, but would leak gas on the intake overnight.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Perhaps one float is sinking?  Or, as Bill suggested, there's a crack or hole in the casting.  In any event, a very rich condition can cause those symptoms.  Let's hope that is it.

But, you do have a fuel pressure regulator on, right?  Too much pressure can overpower the floats and cause a rich condition.  However, that usually only happens at idle unless you have a really strong fuel pump.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Stock mechanical fuel pump, and regulated to 7psi (at least that's what the regulator shows)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You might crank it down to 5 or lower to test.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've never had problems with my mechanical fuel pump overpowering the floats in my AVS, the stock 4180, the 0-80457 S, or the 4160's in 600 & 750 cfm.

A blown power valve would clear up under acceleration and pop on trailing throttle.

A sunk float would flood at idle and clear up too.

I don't understand how it could be running rich -and- bogging on open throttle, unless the secondaries are delivering way too much fuel.

That is the only carburetor issue I could see doing this.

Are you sure the coil is giving good spark under load and higher rpm's?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Not sure how to test a coil...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You can feel if it gets very hot when running.
If you were getting NO spark I would test primary and secondary windings for their resistance and continuity.

I see the coil as a wear item (like points were) and replace it every decade or so, even if It appears fine.

A good coil is around $30.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-fd476
 Jim,
1234567 ... 12