233 messages Options
123456 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My timing chain adventure begins..

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Why would you leave the donuts and not eat them?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Don't like the taste of rubber and asphalt!
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
What were they thinking (other than "this plate is rotted through, and I'm not waiting til tomorrow to put it back together")?
There's just no way a centrifugal pump can work efficiently with THAT much side clearance, and 0.080" of RTV isn't winning any prize either.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thinking?  I don't believe they were.  At least not well.

As you'll see, Big Blue is sporting an Edelbrock water pump, and I'm hoping theirs a plate behind it.  However, Florida Man put it on, so.....

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Welllll, its done! now I'm not putting fluids in it till tomorrow, Let it set up over night.

Damn pesky cork oil pan gaskets starting slipping out, noting I can do but squirt more RTV in there.
We'll see what happens tomorrow!
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
RTV on cork gaskets is quite slippery.  My father would have said "Like snot on a glass doorknob."  So you are right to let it set up.  

Anyway, congrat's!  I'll bet you are gonna be happy!

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
E6000 will keep a cork gasket in-place, if you put the pan/gasket on a flat table for the ~5 min it takes the E6000 to set up.

But I'd never use cork - modern silicone/nitrile/rubber reusable gaskets are too common & affordable.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Goose poop on the morning's dew covered grass?    

I just trim those corners to size and glue them on.

Drive it like you stole it, Ron!  
Vid's or it never happened...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Now I see why Steve at my local Ford dealership, (which advertises and does repair on any year Ford) said "do you really want me to charge you about 1500 for a timing chain?, It all gonna be labor..."

I've known him for years and he has a good "read-out" of what I can do...and What he would have to do on the family vehicles.

So with that in mind I made a "Ronco" invoice of this adventure, granted Steve at Bowens Ford could probably do this a bit faster, but here's my "invoice to me"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yup.  Lots and lots of TIME!  By your numbers, over 2/3's of the cost is labor.  In fact, at 71% it is almost 3/4's.  And that's at your cheap rate of $90/hour.  

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
And I  didn't add the charges for:
"clean air act"
"disposal fee"
"consumables"

I wonder if I'll pay
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You forgot the waste disposal surcharges..  

Keep it up!
If you continue to work on your own vehicles you'll be able to pay for your garage in no time.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Dang!
You edited it in while I was posting.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Are you going to get your daughter to shoot video of donuts in your driveway????

Pic's or it didn't happen....  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
It's Alive!
Now the million dollar question, Do I time it at Recommended 10 degrees (15 inches vac) or 20 degrees, (18 inches?)
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Set it @ 12 degrees BTDC and drive. Listen for pinging under moderate load. If no pinging, bump to 13 degrees. If pinging is detected, retard slightly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!!!  

As for timing, I agree with David.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Set it @ 12 degrees BTDC and drive.
I concur!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Did you install the Crane adjustable vacuum advance unit?

Even if you didn't, the instructions for the 60's-'70's Ford/Mercury part are available on the Jeg's website.

They spell out how to optimize your advance curve.
*Yes,12° is a good start.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Ohhhhh-Kayyyy…. That was a crap-load of work and it truly needed it with that much slop on the original chain,.....Buuuut there is no difference in driving performance

I do have vacuum to the dizzy advance module, but will check if it's working with a vac pump, Also, while running I covered the carb opening and it will stall, (no air getting in) then I also emptied a can of brake clean around the carb base and intake gaskets, with no revving of the idle.....
Also applied E-brake and let off the clutch in 1st gear and she stalled as required......
123456 ... 12