1 ... 9101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My timing chain adventure begins..

Rogue_Wulff
Parts store terms, and the actual meaning:
Lifetime warrentty: for the life of the part
Limited lifetime warrenty: if it breaks in 2, both halves are yours to keep, no extra charge
Compatible: will (somewhat) fit into place, but will not *actually* do the job
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rogue_Wulff
Paul,
I don't know where you're getting this.
Both say 7/8 x 1 5/8" stroke for 16ml displacement (13cc nominal)

If there was too much volume, the slave would hyper-extend, blow off the end and probably not go back in.
Fluid would be leaking, and the slave would never bleed, certainly.

I think the thicker base (if combined with the same slave itself) would bottom the release bearing against the pressure plate fingers before the bell met the block.
This might leave the clutch partially disengaged, at least once the friction disc bedded in.
But it wouldn't cause it to fail to disengage.

Ron measured the connector length.
It's really too bad he didn't measure the different slave for distance from contact face to mounting surface, when he noticed the bolt problem...

Bill, IDK HTH anyone would think a 429 could breathe through a 1 7/8 head pipe.
Area ratios for circles get pretty extreme. It's obvious for anyone who has ever done volume calcs for plumbing or hydraulics.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
This post was updated on .
Wow Jim.
Now that you said it, That's where my other @3/4" of travel is getting consumed... in the body of the thicker slave!
Going wit a new clutch (why take the chance now) should I re surface the flywheel? No burn or skid marks on it...
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
reamer wrote
...other @3/4" of travel is getting consumed... in the body of the thicker slave!
If the slave base is too thick, the clutch will never engage - the slave will always be depressing the diaphragm.  If that's NOT happening, the slave base thickness is NOT too much, and won't affect slave piston travel.  The master always self-adjusts IF the pedal shaft lever is installed properly, and the master is allowed to fully-retract.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
If you put a straightedge across it and it is flat *and within spec for thickness, then just scuff it up with a sander to clear the glaze and give some 'tooth' to bed the friction.

It should be okay.

And, yes. I am trying to make the point Steve gets.
If the slave is too 'tall' the clutch will never fully engage.
Your one wheel peel seems to put that to rest.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Well, I took it all apart again Monday (10 plus hrs on my back on a creeper) Went with a new "2B" Old style slave and, Tada! Disengagement!
It shifts very well, only note I see is getting in reverse, won't click is as smoothly as before, buy I'll drive it a few days to let it settle in.
Still puzzled why the "3B" slave did not work.... well it doesn't matter now, it is moving under its own power.
Thank you all for the help
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ron, I'm glad the right slave did it for you!    

Keep an eye on that failing to go fully into reverse.
It's a known wear problem, and can get progressively worse to where the tranny will keep popping out of gear (reverse)

If driving the truck for a few days to get the clutch action right doesn't clear it up.
As I said, it's a truck gearbox in a pickup.
It won't shift fast and it needs positive control on your end.
Don't start to think it will ever just slip in like butter.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!

In my limited experience with hydraulic clutch linkages it takes a few miles of driving and bouncing to get all of the bubbles out of the system.  So perhaps the shift into Reverse will get better with driving?  (I almost said "Ride up with wear", but that's from Are You Being Served and few would know.)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Now we just need Bill's concensus, and 'the elders have spoken' as Matthew would say..  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  IIRC it was you two that told me I'd never get the hydraulic clutch on Big Blue bled w/o driving it.  Boy were you right.  But a few miles of driving did wonders.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I will consider this thread closed. it is shifting correctly, and sounds "quieter" with the synthetic ATF fluid change.
Thank you all on this one. On to the next layer of the onion!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds good to me, and you have contributed another piece of knowledge into the forum database.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

1 ... 9101112