233 messages Options
1 ... 89101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My timing chain adventure begins..

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And that's why I said the downward master won't fit the front discharge firewall.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Victory! I think
Well, we got a working solution and for future reference, there are two slave-to-line couplers, they look very similar, but during the 1993 conversion, the connector changed too by a whopping 1/16".

What I had was a NAPA NCF 72176 Master
                          NAPA NOE 819 5931 Hyd Line
                          NAPA NCF 73002B Slave
This combination works fine.

Changed the slave, they gave me a NCF 73003B.. This "93" and up Slave will not connect to the older 819 5931 line.

I now have is NAPA NCF 72176 Master
                    NAPA 815 3201 Hyd Line
                    NAPA NCF 73003B Slave.

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So this line fits a front discharge master?
Or you still have to heat and bend it?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
It fits the front discharge master, it as a metal 90 degree elbow, It does not fit "comfortably" and rubs the floor pan, but tie wraps keep it away, At least now it is "moveable" and as long as it does not leak, it will stay.
I'm gonna experiment with my old line, Parts guy said the bends in the lines are created with boling water, but I don't buy it.
Ill try the heat gun too.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I doubt boiling water would do it, but you might as well try.

My slave and line get roasted by the drivers side down pipe.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Any reason cutch lines are not flexable like a garden hose?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Intense pressure?

Could be a hydraulic line, but never like a garden hose.
And then, there's the heat that would likely cook a rubber hydraulic hose.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
Any reason cutch lines are not flexable like a garden hose?
Because that would make them too elastic - they'd expand & contract slightly as you press & release the pedal, reducing the slave's travel.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
OK, So I have it all together, Got the T-case back today, got the shifters back and the carpet installed, All filled with ATF, Fire it up and it runs great! BUT …. Won't shiftWith engine off, not touching the clutch, I can shift into any gear.

Engine on, clutch to the floor, can't get into any gear.
Had my assistant push the clutch to the floor, the hydraulic slave moves in @ 5/8" … is this acceptable? or is there still air in the line?

If I disconnect the line at the slave, it is solid as a rock, indicating no air in MC or line, I bled the Slave first by gravity feed and then the old fashioned way with assistant pushing clutch to the floor the opening the bleeder, then closing then having her release the pedal. No air is coming out, and we put a lot of fluid through the system, My question is with the slave movement of 5/8" is that enough or should it have to move more to disengage?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Old Mercedes-Benz technician's trick, take the caliper closest to the clutch slave, find a piece of rubber vacuum line that fits snugly over the end of the bleeder screw and will reach to the clutch slave. Put it over the slave bleeder screw and the caliper bleeder screw. Loosen the slave bleeder about 1/2 - 3/4 turn. Have your helper depress the brake pedal, not super hard and open the caliper bleed screw till you here fluid flowing. When the pedal bottoms, close the bleeder and have her release the pedal, repeat a few times until the clutch MC reservoir is ready to overflow, that proves no air is left. Close the slave bleeder and try the clutch for feel.

Mercedes-Benz clutch master cylinders sit on an angle and are impossible to bleed other than this or with a pressure bleeder from below.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Thanks Bill
I will try this today. do you know what the travel distance requirement is for a slave?
reamer
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Ron,
I know the external slave spec is 5/8->3/4", but the arm (or fork) fulcrum is not centered.
Not a 1:1 ratio.

The concentric slave spec should be in Gary's Zf documentation.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Will look now...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
I have to wonder, did the bore/stroke of the master change between the older and newer models? That could be an issue with a newer slave/older master combo...
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Rogue_Wulff wrote
...did the bore/stroke of the master change between the older and newer models?
Yes, as these diagrams indicate:

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
OK I'm screwed..

Bill I did the reverse bleed using the front brake cylinder, the clutch slave is completely bled. But still not enough  throw.
So, yep probably the MC does not have the volume for that slave, or the slave does not throw far enough?

But I know NAPA 819 5931 line and NAPA 73002B slave does work with my configuration, Soooo, it's back to pulling the tranny again to install a configuration that we know does work. But it won't be me this time.

What takes me 10 hrs on my back with a creeper, the tranny shop can probably do in 4 hrs with a lift and tranny jack.

Thank you all for the help
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Seems to me it would be cheaper and easier to drill your firewall for the diagonal mount master cylinder.

IDK what a transmission shop gets for four hours R&R plus bleeding that damned slave, but a new master and an hour of your time can't be close.

How did you end up with the wrong slave to begin with?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
If I am reading that correctly, the older master has a HIGHER displacement than the later version. Seems this would have the opposite result, in that the older master would cause the newer slave to have too much travel, not too little....
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Well the quality parts people and their books state "Compatible"

The original slave was a thin aluminum disk base, the "new" one is a thick plastic base, red flags were raised but "compatible" is the word, Then I had to get new bolts to mount it, (thin aluminum disk = short bolts, thicker disk needed new bolts.

That's were it went down hill fast, (after hours of work to install the ZF) this is where I found the "old" clutch line will not mate to the new slave.
Then we had to find a new line that would mate to the new slave, but was not bent correctly, (90 degrees off at the master).

Then we found a line with a 90 elbow but leaned against the exhaust manifold.

Now after two days of bleeding and re-bleeding, it looks like there is not enough throw to disengage the clutch.
I'm really surprised I have not damaged the paint with all this brake fluid flying around.

Now checking with them they say the master is "compatible" with either slave, So if I go with a NEW Master with the port facing down, I would have to get the new-style line with the line pointing up again so they will connect at the new master but may not mate (but should) to the slave....and you mentioned the possibility of reconfiguring the NSS.

I know the old style slave and old style line and old style Master works in this truck. So starting over, I will bite the bullet and get everything again. Have all the old style re-installed along with new pressure plate and clutch.

Now my wallet, back and arms say have the tranny shop do it, but my conscience, says "double down and do it moron"
Also not sure what constitutes a worn clutch (by thickness) so Crack it open and get it all while in there....
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, and years ago Goerlich exhaust said the 1 7/8" tailpipe was "compatible" with my 1971 Colony Park 429 engines's exhaust. Funny the original was 2 1/4". Oh, you have to use a reducer to fit it to the muffler. Tell me how a pipe with an ID of 1 3/4" will flow as much as one with an ID of 2 1/8"? That is a cross sectional area of 5.5 square inches vs 6.68 square inches or only 82% of the area.

Yes, it is compatible, it will physically fit, flow enough at WOT, not! It was shortly after that I had a pair of dual exhausts installed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

1 ... 89101112