233 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My timing chain adventure begins..

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Spread of 14% seems more concerning that a number like that on an engine with 100k

A HUGE part of that one wheel peel is having a straight up timing set.
I can assure you of that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Pretty much relative Gary

75 psi in 60 sustained = 20%
90 psi in 72 sustained =20%
98 psi in 77 sustained = 22%

Bringing it up to 98 I did get some hissing around the harmonic balancer to timing chain area.

All the air was releasing through oil breather None from exhaust or intake = rings/walls....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Ron.  That helps.  And it is pretty much as I expected - higher pressure may give more loss, but not dramatically more.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Almost ready to go back to work...
With valve cover off, rockers can wiggle on the lifting rods, (must be in the position of completely closed?)

Normal?

With it passing the water-jacket pressurizing test, Compression test and leak down test....
No more excuses!

With motor out, I can drill the mounting holes in the center of the roof for the Visor, (got to paint the visor before installing)…

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wiggle is normal.
Oil pressure to the lifters when running is what takes out the slack
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Did you forget to drain the oil Ron?  

That's a mighty load of kitty litter you've got there.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Well that's interesting. Dipstick goes into the side of the oil pan? It goes into the block on my 302...I just assumed the 351 would be the same.

Looks great Ron. Love seeing the fresh paint. My engine was originally Ford grey as well but I was a sucker for that dark blue and had to do it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Did you forget to drain the oil Ron?  

That's a mighty load of kitty litter you've got there.  
It's amazing how much will drop out when ya flip it up-side down
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Dipstick goes into the side of the oil pan? It goes into the block on my 302...I just assumed the 351 would be the same.
Older engines have the dipstick in the pan; newer is in the block, including 351W/5.8L.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Oh, really, older 460s (up through 1979) have the dipstick in the timing cover unless they were 4WD. 1983 up 460s have the dipstick in the pan. screw in fitting through 1987, press in 1988-1993? Then in a tube in the side of the pan with an O-ring and hairpin clip.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
85lebaront2 wrote
Then in a tube in the side of the pan with an O-ring and hairpin clip.
Guess what one Big Blue's gonna have?!?!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Older 460's found in cars and pre-bullnose trucks had a front sump.
And the oil pump didn't have that crazy long extension.

In 1980 the new truck frame put the cross member under the front and the bell tolled for Lima's in cars.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Actually, Jim, I believe that last Lima in a car was the 1978 Lincoln Continental (big 4dr luxo barge) my department manager at NNS had a 1979, same big tank, with a 400 in it, it did everything bat either bark or oink when you stood on it. It also got abysmal gas mileage. That and previous experience with a 351M soured me on those engines for good. When I could take a 1977 F150, 390 and 3.25 rear and pull 16-17 mpg highway, 12-14 in town, and that Lincoln struggled to get 12 highway and more like 8 in town.

I put a remanufactured engine in it for him, which had a mystery misfire, finally found it was a bent cam.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess I should have said 'as the bells tolled', ie; the 429/460 were dead in cars..

A bent cam?
How do you even do that?  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Good question, either bent or a poorly ground section on the base circle of one or more lobes.

As for the Lima in cars, it looks as though Ford made the decision to no longer use that family in cars starting when the block was redesigned for 1979 up usage, at that time the blocks were being built for truck use the include the HD engines (370 & 429). Those engines are as different from the lighter duty versions as the FT family is from the FEs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, the 370 and 429 HD engines are different with that big snout on the crank, massive thermostat housing and commonly a limited.

The first time I saw a longblock sitting around with no frame of reference I was really puzzled.          
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
I'ts Alive! and not leaking any fluids.....yet, Fired right up, but for some reason the hyd clutch is hard as a rock.
With the T-case still out being re-sealed, I did notice the ZF output shaft is spinning even in neutral.
With engine running (idle) I can shift into any gear without the clutch, Strange?

Wondering what I did wrong, is the output shaft just spinning because there is no driveline attached?
Hmm, should I slide the tranny  away from the engine and re-set?

Bolted flywheel to crank.
used clutch alignment tool to center clutch.
bolted pressure plate to flywheel.
removed alignment tool
done  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's just drag.
4th is 1:1 and the gears are always in mesh, so it turns if there's nothing there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What do you mean "hard as a rock"?

Did you buy a performance pressure plate?
How did you bleed the slave?
Is the throwout arm properly lubricated, and clipped to the mushroom?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
It had much less effort to push to the floor, This is the slave valve that goes around the input shaft. Nothing on the slave/line was touched when removing the engine. a sealed system.

May I don't have thing as aligned as I thought, I can see the slave through the cut-out in the bell housing, when the wife pushes in the clutch, the Salve is only moving about 1/4".
1 ... 6789101112