233 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My timing chain adventure begins..

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill, I'm not being critical. It's just an observation over time.

Do you remember back when he and Gary were working on the dash hole patch?
Damn. It was like every time they changed the boss thickness or the hole pattern he started a new thread.

I'm trying to follow along, but sometimes (like above) my reply makes no sense in the context of the (X) version of a thread that started three or four iterations ago.

Try this... try that...
But it's been said before, and often I can't get a straight answer to a very direct and pointed question.

I know I can be pedantic because of my condition, but I phrase and ask things in a specific way because yes or no, X clearance, Y psi, or whatever, is what I need to know to answer the question (or solve the riddle)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Sorry to distract you guys, didn't think I was looking for a different answer....
The first thread was of general lost power and we all thought with  slop in the rotor, a timing chain was needed, if not just to "eliminate" that part of the situation.

Didn't mean to offend anyone by starting a new thread on focusing on the timing chain issue.. Sorry.
From there it just morphed into the "What next" and grew from there.

My apologies..

Will go after the exhaust tomorrow, will try to remove 1 side at the manifold and see what happens...

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No apology necessary.

I'm just trying to explain to Bill where my statement came from, why he should stick with it, and that perhaps he shouldn't have such a gruff attitude, that this is just the way you are on the forums.  

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Hey, I'm the one who is ADHD. I just get irritated with people who start a whole new train of thought when a continuous (not necessarily a Gary Lewis micro-analysis in 450 pages) thread elaborating on the original problem so someone who hasn't read the other 16 threads can go back and see what was done previously.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Now that's Funny!
In order to get this today.....

It was a clogged Cat, this is after cutting it out...But the truck instantly paid me back with this...

So now since one has popped, all are close to popping, but to me the question is pull a 34 year old motor with unknown mileage, but good compression, new timing chain, and replace all freeze plugs and install new oil pan gaskets, or remove and replace with a crate motor for all the work needed...

But it is Alive! (well almost)…
Thank you for the "not paying attention to" help...
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  Or, congrat's?  

More layers of the onion.

Yes, replace them all.  I've done it on the passenger's side on a 351W with the engine in the truck.  I did have to jack it up just a bit and pull the exhaust and mount on that side, but that wasn't too hard.

Don't know about the driver's side but I'd try it before pulling the engine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by reamer
Glad you found the problem!

Is the block cracked too?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That was my question after looking at the picture.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Crap! did now even think about the block, What do I look for?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
So all this could have been solved back on July 30th if you'd just disconnected the Cat like I said???

Wow! Talk about taking the long way home.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Figure out if this is a crack or a shadow:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Thankfully, a shadow, Oil is clean too. It never got "hot." From stone cold because of the cat removal, only drove it 1/2 mile down and back, was already bleeding antifreeze, but the temp gauge never rose above it's normal spot...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As I thought, it is a shadow of the stream of coolant.  

Are you going to try to replace them in situ?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One suggestion from experience, do not use the expanding rubber plugs, it you must use expanding plugs use the metal ones. You would not believe the force a Ford 390 water pump can empty the cooling system with.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
85lebaront2 wrote
One suggestion from experience, do not use the expanding rubber plugs, it you must use expanding plugs use the metal ones. You would not believe the force a Ford 390 water pump can empty the cooling system with.
As a quick fix till he is ready to do the crate motor swap I don't see any thing wrong with it.
Might not want to put the radiator cap on all the way so it will not build up pressure.

I have 1 motor with 3 or 4, one of them a small one in the head. You can not replace them with motor in the car and it is just as hard to pull the motor, compact car with a v8. Car is now laid up.

My project truck had 1, don't know how long it had been installed. It did start leaking just sitting as I was working on it but was able to tighten it up and it stopped.
A week latter I had a leak again but it was not the rubber one leaking.
That is when I did the right thing and replaced them all in the block.

The rubber plug is ONLY a quick fix but we do what we have to do
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Thinking of pulling and selling it, With a new timing chain, and water pump, good even compression, If I have to pull it, why not start fresh and install a crate, Then someone handy can do the freeze plugs oil pan (properly) and dipstick tube and run it ....
Don't know how many miles on it, but do I want to repair just the exterior and re-install?? could last another 10 years, could last another 10 hours....Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the budget allows it, and if the truck is a long-term keeper, then go for it.

If you aren't in a hurry you can let someone drive your truck to see that the engine is sound - save for the freeze/core plugs.  Obviously they can't go very far, but it wouldn't be buying a pig in a poke (why do I think of European Vacation?).  And you could have the crate engine on order or standing by.

Having said that, isn't there a garage in the offing?  Would the ~$5k for the engine be helpful for it?  If you are questioning the longevity of the engine, do a leak-down test.  It'll tell you how worn it is, if the valves are good, etc.  But don't do that if you are going to sell the engine as you'll have info you may not have wanted to have.  (Don't ask how I know.)

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Well some good new on the whole garage thing, originally the State funding for the crumbling foundation situation was only for the "primary" residence, no un-attached structures like my detached 3 car. That put the repairs solely in my wallet, so yes, any available funds would go that way.
But the state recently announced detached structures are now included in state funding, along with condos...

So filling out claims may take a while (years, could be) but help (as of right now, is on the way) for complete replacement funding.

We had a structural engineer come out, as the regulations require, and mentioned, that in this area "people don't realize, this is a Category 5 slow moving hurricane with catastrophic results coming". "This tainted concrete went everywhere, thousands of houses, new fire stations, municipal buildings, schools, septic systems, bridges, Bradley airport, and real scary, 7 Dams in the area they are watching......

Amazing...….
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Seven dams?!?!  That is REALLY scary.

Anyway, good deal.  Some day you'll get the financial help to do it right.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, it's amazing the concrete companies didn't test their aggregate, or let it go on so long.

I read recently that the insurance program had hit its $120M hard limit.
Where is there more money for remediation?

Is Lamont going to try to suck more bucks out of Fairfield County to cover Tolland county's problems?

Anyway, it's good news that they are expanding the program to cover multi-family and detached structures.
 Jim,
1 ... 3456789 ... 12