WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7803 messages Options
12345678 ... 391
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That engine went into the 1982 F150 Explorer, which was then sold soon thereafter. Still had the Motorcraft 2bbl but ran like it had a 4bbl and was still winding strong at 5000 RPM.

I haven't seen the inside of a Holman-Moody engine. The closest I've been to one was the Cobalt boat my brother had. The valve covers proclaimed it was one of theirs, and we believe it. With the stock prop it would just spin from idle if you nailed it, and at 30 it would take the steering wheel away from you if you nailed it. He wound up with a Michigan Wheel prop they called an "elephant ear", and it tamed it. But then it would take the rope away from skiers. 😳

I'm uneducated on big block heads, but I'm anxious to learn. Bring it on!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm uneducated on big block heads, but I'm anxious to learn. Bring it on!
385 series engines started in 1968.
Ethyl Hi-test 97 was available everywhere and the early C8, C9 & D0VE-C heads had small chambers and rail rockers but regular sized ports.
D3 heads have bolt down rockers, big thermactor humps in the exhaust ports and a bigger chamber.

Early engines also had a .022 lower deck height.
Cutting block AND head costs more $ and results in needing custom pushrods.

With dove heads I can deck the block, use stock pistons and pushrods to come in around 9-9.5:1 and have good quench.

Guides and spring seats may need to be cut, depending on the cam chosen.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Damn Jim, that air filter looks familiar. Valve covers look nice on there! I do hope your ticking noise isn't the 460 curse, leaking around an exhaust port.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks for the info. 👍

Are there different D0VE heads?  You mentioned -C heads, so are they the preferred ones?

And that compression ratio with good quench should make a strong engine. I'll be following along. 😉

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill,
I replaced the gaskets within the past year and spent 1/2 hour feeling around for leaks (until I burned my wrist/hand too many many times)
Everything looked real good and the bolts were tight when i torched the spiders out last week.

I may try to find someone with a smoke machine I can plug into the tailpipe.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are more heads than I could ever know.
But I do know that the one year only low compression open chamber D2VE heads were the worst for detonation.

I'm so used to hearing the story of 'the one that got away'
"Oh yeah, I junked one of those last year."
"I used to know a guy.. but he's dead and his wife threw all his **** out"

I'm going to have to make an effort to find a place for the better of these two efi engines (30k miles!)and get my hands on some heads to work over.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks. I hope you are going to document what you do so we can follow along.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jim, I don't know if you do Facebook, but there are a couple of 460 groups on there. I an an admin on one of them. Good sources of parts and information. (Gary Lewis maybe you should look for them now that you have joined the club).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which ones, Bill?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I just got to thinking.
EFI pistons have much less dish than the carb truck pistons.

I wonder what my static cr would be with D3VE heads and a decked EFI short block?
Would the valve angles/pockets work?

I don't do Facebook.
Don't want to know anything about the people who want to know me or any of my family
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good info here from one of the acknowledged masters of iron headed 385 ' s

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/casting-numbers-descriptions-1-index.html
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The one I am an admin on is "429/460 Big Block Fords" the other one is "Ford 429 460"
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, he was a lot of help with recommendations for mine. As for pistons, 1968-1987, recess depth is 0.230" volume 21cc, 1988-92, recess depth is 0.072" volume 7cc, 1993-97, recess depth is 0.180" volume 16cc. Where the other factor comes in, compression height, distance from the pin to crown, 1968-87 1.752", 1988-92 1.752", 1992-97 1.772". I did a lot of research planning mine and I have a set of Cometic head gaskets, I will have to look at the thickness, that we ended up not using.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good info in that link, Jim.  Thanks.

Bill - I asked to join your FB group.  Let's see if they let a 335-type guy in.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Didn't actually do it "to" my truck today, but I got this in from an FTE'er.  The only one I can find in the catalog is as shown below.  The only mention of it I can find in the literature is in the 1985 Accessories catalog on Page 6, as shown at the bottom, and it is for the van.  It doesn't look quite right as the top bar on the van one appears to be round, and this one is rectangular with FORD on it.  This one is supposed to be for an F-series, but doesn't have ID # on it.  Does anyone know?

Chris - Could you ask Bill if he knows?

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary, I asked Bill, he says the things aren't listed in the 1994 edition, they MIGHT be in the older versions on slides - which are in a box headed to your house. :)

But you'll need a viewer.

I guess there's somebody in a 70s forum on FTE also looking for one and it's more complicated in the older series because of different bumpers.

For our 80-86, he doesn't hold out much hope, even if we get a part number - likely an E0TZ something-or-other; I showed him what you found & posted and he told me of a different Group number the things are also listed in but, again, there aren't any listings in the book, so to the fiche we go, but... then what?

~~

We will have to work on him to get him to join this site, he doesn't understand why yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks. Yes, I'm anxious to get that microfiche scanned. I think there's a gold mine in there, information we aren't going to get elsewhere. Ever.

As for why this site, we will just have to win him over.  😉

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My spring rub pads should be here today.  

Hopefully they will eliminate some of the squeaking

Unfortunately I've had something stuck in my one good eye for the past two days, so I'm pretty useless for work.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Eye problems must be going around. I lost vision in my right eye for 2 - 3 minutes a week ago tonight, and then it came back. That was/is quite concerning - and I have two good eyes. So I can't imagine what it is like to have a problem with your one good eye.

Hope you get that sorted quickly.

By the way, is the new layout on the nav menu any better?  What about the impact on the text box?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rub pads installed!

Looking at the spring bushings in the front I really should replace them.
(Are there part numbers on the suspension page?)

Shouldn't waste my time if I'm going to do a D60 swap.
That is down the road given my finances.
 Jim,
12345678 ... 391