WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7845 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 393
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good price, and they aren’t easily available.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

khaitan
This post was updated on .
Before I put the ZF in the truck, I decided to change the oil pan as it was leaking near the drain plug no matter what. It is my fault because I was working in a mechanic's yard which barely had any concrete and my engine hoist had a bend which I found out two days ago. I dropped the engine twice and cracked the factory oil pan. I got it welded based on suggestion from my mechanic but it has not helped.

Once I pulled out the engine, the exhaust has chewed up the mount which costed me $180. I wasnt happy. I am going to write to transdept who makes this mount and see if they will send a replacement under warranty. But anyway, this is what my day was like. I have painted the engine back to ford blue and going to powder coat the brackets, valve covers, nuts and bolts and few other nick nacks and then drop the engine back on with the new oil pan and heat shield to cover the mount.
Cheers,
Prashant
"Ford trucks are nuts, so am I"

1986 F150 single cab with 460 and ZF-5s47
1985 F350 dual cab with 460 and T-19
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The heat shield is very important but I can't imagine paying that much for any motor mount.

Yesterday I washed my truck for a second time this year.
Parts are trickling in from the usual sources.
I need to find some solid D3VE a2a heads locally.
Nothing this old in the junkyards around here.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Prashant - You are making progress, even though it may be two steps forward and one backward. So keep on keeping on and you’ll get there. And good luck on the transfer case rebuild.

Jim - Having parts coming in is a fun stage of projects. But getting hung up looking for a necessary, but elusive, part is a pain. I assume shipping costs on heads would be exorbitant?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by khaitan
Couldn't you use the factory 460 perches and stock mounts with the adapters? The mounts sit low enough they have to come off in order to remove the pan.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
$80-90 a piece shipping when if I had had the time to drive to Long Island I could have bought the pair for $50
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ouch!  I thought it would be expensive, but that’s more than I expected. Guess BBF heads are heavy.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those who were here for the show will know the story about getting the truck on the trailer.  But today it came off of the trailer, finally.  It is a delicate operation since the rails and fenders of the trailer make it tedious to get the lift's arms in to the frame w/o hitting anything.  However, I finally got there today.  Now to get the front powder-coated or painted and installed!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Annnnnd now we understand the term 'sandbagging' at the track.  (Or should that be slagbagging? )

It's time for you to get the engine in so you can cut that out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  Yes, that is slag-bagging at its finest. And I do need to get the engine in. But I need a front suspension and transmission in order to easily carry out my plans.  The suspension needs several more parts powder coated or painted, and the transmission needs to be ordered. I’m doing the powder work and have gotten sidetracked with the show, this forum and website, a perceived health issue, and now a trailer quest. (Not to mention just enjoying life with my wife.)

As for the tranny, I need to commission someone to build an E4OD. Anyone have any recommendations?

And the plans are to mate the engine and tranny and install them as a unit into the rolling chassis. To do that w/o damaging the cab I’ll pull the 4 bolts holding the cab on and pick it off the frame with the lift. If I chock the truck so it won’t move while doing the engine/tranny installation the cab should come right back down where it was, or at least close enough to make re-installation easy.

But, as I’m thinking about this again, it occurs to me that it might be advantageous to go ahead and raise the lift up into the ceiling as I’ve planned to do for some time. That would give me another 11” of clearance between the engine hoist and the cab. Hmmmmm......

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Got a few more pieces for my truck.

per Scott's recommendations:
A 750 Holley (yes, I know)
165° thermostat.
A few sanding mandrels and taper & straight cartridges in 50 grit.
A new -scratch and haze free- faceshield.
Since I am without a reliable source of air I bought a speed controller. (I already have a couple of variacs and my 1/3 hp Foredom has a foot pedal, but not enough power for iron I think)

Wired some lights and outlets in my container.
Bought  a little 2 stroke generator and right angle die grinder at the tool consignment store Saturday.
Ordered some more LED's.

Purchased an LRC regulator because of the start squeal of my 3G.
Amazon delivered a new Exedy clutch slave cylinder (metal w/ a real bleeder)

Very soon I need to get under my truck to replace the drivers floor AGAIN, and do some winter protection with my nasty cosmoline-like mixture.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, too bad you are clear out there, I build my own transmissions, and did an E4OD for a local shop that took it in and then found they had no one who could build it. This was a shop in Hampton VA. Biggest thing, is whoever does it needs to install all the updates and be sure the solenoid pack is compatible with the controller you are going to use. Early packs have the surge diodes in them, 1995 and newer they were moved to the PCM. Early works with later PCMs, but late will not work with early PCMs. As long as the controller has the surge diodes, then there is no problem.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sounds like just-in-time delivery. And lots of work.

I’ll be curious to know your thoughts of the Holley/Eddy comparison.

The Foredom is a remote motor with a flexible shaft and foot control?  A 1/3 HP unit should work well. But are you going to run the die grinder with the speed controller?  I’m confused - but what’s new?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill - Would you build me one?  I’m interested, and shipping costs are not a problem. I’m serious.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
What did I do to my truck, today? I drove it for the 1st time since my ill fated attempt to attend the 2017 OK GTG.

It is nice to be "back in the saddle, again!"
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I could, do you have one already or do you need to locate one? I assume it will be for 4WD and it will need a speedometer drive gear and place for a driven one since it will be going in Dad's truck. E4OD needs a speed signal either from a sensor on the speedometer cable (usually at the transmission end) or through the PSOM on the 1992-97 models.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If 4wd, the "right" 1356 has a cable drive in the output housing.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - What did you do?  How did it run?  How did it sound?

Bill - Jim is right, it is 4wd and it is a 1356 and it has a speedo hole. I have an electronic adapter that came with the 1356, but I don’t remember anything about it. Will look when I get home - am out buying a trailer.

But, I do need a tranny and don’t have a core. Email me about the cost, issues, etc. You know what the engine is, a lot about the truck, etc. And I plan to put a Baumann controller on it, but don’t have that either. Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
David - What did you do?  How did it run?  How did it sound?
Maybe I should tell in a separate thread!
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, you do not have a 460 pattern E4OD of any kind, do you want me to see If I can locate one near me? I know where one is, and tried to talk to the guy about a price, I don't think it's a 4WD version, but during a full rebuild the output shaft can be changed. If you are looking it will need provision for the speedometer drive, even if it is plugged right now, as for price, some of it will be based on what year we start with and what updates are needed. Labor, figure @ $75/hr $800.00 Looking at parts prices, it will be cheaper if you can find a 4WD one.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

1 ... 567891011 ... 393