WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7811 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 391
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Progress!

No, there aren't any part numbers for the bushings.  Yet.  Do you need them?

Also, did you see that I moved your post and my response on the menu?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If I keep the TTB front end I'm *going to* need them.
250's are very hard on bushings because the leaf springs twist in an arc.
Trucks with coils or a straight axle don't have any problem.

No, I didn't notice anything except that we are on a new page.
What exactly changed?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I moved your post about the menu issue to the thread called Do You Like The New Menu?  And, that took my response to you about it to that thread as well.

I'll put the front bushings on the to-do list.  But if I don't get to it in time please ping me.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - See if this page answers your questions: Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension.  Note that I don't have much on the Parts # tab.  Turns out that is a very complex issue as most of the info requires you to find your parts list number for your specific axle out of a 7-page table that starts like the one shown below.  Note that I've highlighted axle E0TA-EF, and that it has parts list number 30.3B.

Then, and only then, you can turn to the parts lists that look like the one below, where you go to Parts List # 30.3 and then down Column B, for 30.3B.

But those tables go on for 54 pages for the Dana 44 axles alone, and then there are the other axles.  Each range of codes, like A thru M, takes up about 6 pages, and there must be 8 ranges for the 54 pages.  So posting that info is going to take some time, and I'm not sure of the need for it.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, I'm not going to need all that.

I have the gfaw rating and will just get Moog through Amazon.

Sleeves are a LOT easier to get out with an air chisel, but I like to smash my fingers.

I may just have to borrow a ball joint press because when I was replacing the rear bushings I was blowing up grade 8 bolts with the impact gun trying to pull them in.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, got it.  But watch those fingers!  

As for what I did today to or with my truck today.  But, I got this link in from Tim and I've cranked up the sound on the shop computer a few times.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=mklQho3n1n8

<nabble_embed>https://youtu.be/mklQho3n1n8</nabble_embed>

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Wow! That thing sounds awesome Gary! So what speed will that be with your gearing and E4OD? 😈
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sounds good, I was trying to see exactly where the torque peak came in, looks like is still down low where you want it for a truck engine.

Today, I took Darth to the exhaust shop up the road, seems the pipes that were put on replacing the original 3 piece system 20 years ago had some pinholes in them. Muffler is still the original from 1986, guy said it's fine, I wouldn't mess with it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Impressive!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks guys.  I worked with Tim to get the torque peak low.  Who needs HP when you can have torque?  But, 1 HP per cubic inch isn't too shabby.  

As for what I did to my truck today, I used Big Blue's front hitch to move the trailer into the shop and loaded Dad's truck on it for the show on Saturday.  Boy, that front hitch is worth its weight in gold!  I got the trailer between the lift's uprights with ease, and there's only a few inches on either side.

But, then the problems started - the rails and the fenders prevent the lift from going down far enough to get the truck down on the trailer.  In the pic below I've gotten the front down and the front arms swung out of the way, but haven't gotten the rear arms out yet.  I think a jack will be employed in the morning.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Someone left a broken-down Dodge truck (isn't "broken-down Dodge" redundant?) left in the church parking lot where the show is going to be on Saturday.  No problem, Big Blue made short work of it, even when he was parked on grass and the Dodge was on pavement.  He didn't even wiggle, much less slide, and I just had the parking brake set.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think we need a What Have You Done *With* Your Truck Today thread.

It's true what they say 'There's no replacement for displacement'

That's a 12K winch?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Go for it Jim, I'll follow along.

Yes, that's a Smittybilt 12K winch w/a synthetic cable.  Did the job with ease, even though the front wheels on the Dodge were angled, which caused the Dodge to turn somewhat sideways.  But the winch said "you are coming to me" and never slowed down, even when the tires on the Dodge started rolling under.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Things like hauling a loaded Chevy G30 and trailer behind Darth on a tow dolly? Or the big flat bed trailer with the doors and operators plus a load in the bed? Darth did come out of OD going up the CBBT tunnels, but still maintained 54 mph @ 2200 rpm in 3rd lockup, probably could have gone faster but didn't want to force the downshift to 2nd.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Did you take it straight to the local pound, isn't that where abandoned dogs go ? Or maybe the junkyard?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Couldn't take it to the pound - it is owned by a church member.  Just left it in the grass whimpering.

Big Blue doesn't turn that low of R's given the T19.  But, when the ZF5 goes in it'll get down to that.  I will say that with a big mini-van on a trailer the T19's ratios are perfectly spaced.  Start out in granny and zip right up to 4th, and it tows nicely on the highway in 4th.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hound Dog Lew
Today I replaced the dry rotting rear brake hose. Not too exciting but necessary.
1983 F150 Flareside 302 AOD 3.55
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I tried to give one of those away at the show/swap meet on Saturday. No takers, so apparently everyone here has already done that. 😉

Anyway, it is necessary. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I got rear front and front rear bushings as well as some ttb pivot bushings yesterday.

I accessorized the engine stand I borrowed with some 7/16-14 Gr8 bolts, a pin to lock rotation, and a 18" long 1/2" pipe nipple with caps and rubber bumper grommets.
Hopefully it is strong enough for a 460.

Still trying to get my hands on a good pair of D3VE's.
Machine work is fine but I don't want to pay for cracked or notched heads.
Money is real tight
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Will you do the bushings before the engine?

1 ... 3456789 ... 391