WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7506 messages Options
123456 ... 376
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They look great. 👍  So good that I may order the other set on eBay. Tim has replied that his supplier doesn't have the flat ones in stock and doesn't have an ETA, so the OMC's look like the way to go.

What do you thing about placing wire separators in the blank spot?  Or, maybe I could come up with a special badge?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I really don't know what I'm going to do about mounting the wire separators.

For a second I thought about cutting the ones off my tin valve covers, but they are in great shape due to being oiled all the time.

I would rather re-home them.

Sure you could make some kind of badge the go there.

Wasn't it Reamer who used to make those for various 'special edition' cars and trucks?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What size are those rectangles on the valve covers?  I'm thinking both about a label to put there as well as the base for a wire separator.

And, I think it was Reamer.  Perhaps he will chime in.

One possibility is this from CJ's, which measures 7/8" x 3-1/4":

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Had to replace this little PITA today, went to get fuel for the lawn equipment (non-ethanol) and noticed a hot antifreeze odor. Since it was a short trip mostly a lower speeds I figured I would check when I got home. Opened the hood, and sure enough the bypass hose had split.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  Those things are a pain.  Did you get it on w/o removing anything else?

That's one advantage of the 335 series engines - internal bypass so no hose.  The downside is that you have to have the right thermostat, but since Tim is now having those made it isn't a problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
The flat spot is 1 1/2" x just under 4"

You can change the bypass if you cut it just right and fold it in half to get it on.

Someone could have made a killing if they had come up with a tube that could be swapped in when the water pump is replaced.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I think you are saying a decal could be cut and installed in the recess if folded in half and laid in. Like maybe a 460 decal?  Thanks. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No

The 460 bypass hose can be folded in half and then be pushed down into place

On Aug 28, 2017 6:49 PM, "Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jim - I think you are saying a decal could be cut and installed in the recess if folded in half and laid in. Like maybe a 460 decal?  Thanks. 👍
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p851.html
To unsubscribe from WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?, click here.
NAML
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahh!  Makes sense. Glad I asked. Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Finally got the transfer case in the 1981. The job was extra difficult because my floor jack failed so it was pretty much just a matter of walking it up on blocks as high as I could and then muscling it into place... not my preferred tactic.

It really bothered me to put it in without cleaning it, opening it, and correcting the oil pump flange design flaw. I can also tell both input and output seals are tired. But the show must go on! Eventually I want to replace this transfer case with the gear vendor one, and have the drive shaft shortened. But that will have to be another day and another chapter in the build process.

The drive shafts would have gone in, but the U joints did not have grease fittings. I draw the line there, I'm not installing U joints that I can't grease. Hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I will be able to test drive it around the block and give the 4x4 a try 🙂

Edit: I'm not quite sure why my photos are showing up inverted. I wonder if it has to do with the phone orientation while typing??? Let's try inserting them again... just to test it, with the phone upright:

Edit 2: no change. I went back and added width =100% which made the pics the same width as the text column but still upside down. Not sure how to fix this, they appear right side up on my phone's camera roll.

Edit 3 crop/save using Snapseed:

Well it is a pain to edit and save every image, but it works!!! 😀
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
That's what I did, measured the one on the new engine, 2 5/8" and folded it and popped it in, at least it wasn't on my 77 with the 390, not only did you have to pull the A/C compressor bracket off, but getting the short little bitch in really takes a special pair of pliers. On Darth, that is exactly where it sits, nothing in the way, before, with the dual smoke grinders, it would have been a 2-3 hour job to get down to it and reassemble everything afterward.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Get some photo editing app like Photoshop PS. I believe it is free, but if not it is cheap. With it you can rotate the pics by playing like you are going to crop them. But just opening and saving them seems to fix the orientation.

Bill - I've done the same on a Windsor. Ain't easy, but far better than pulling things off. However, not having a bypass hose is even better. 😎

Back in '65 I was out on a date in my daddy's car.
We hadn't driven very far, there in the road, straight ahead,
a car was stalled, the engine was dead.
Turned out it was Dad's 1964 Buick - the one I was driving. The bypass hose sprang a leak and squirted coolant on the distributor, and it died.
Never got another date with her. 🙈

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's why the water showing, once I fixed it I hosed everything off, been there, done that with antifreeze on ignition wires.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Makes sense.  (Did you recognize J. Frank Wilson's hit after I butchered it?)

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Definitely, it was one of my favorites. I always had a mental picture of a Nash Rambler.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Was it stuck in second gear?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had to pull the air cleaner off Big Blue to check out the Eddy's choke for Jim, and as I was re-installing it I saw the only possible thing that could keep him from winning Best Of Show - the stud and wingnut holding the air cleaner on.  And I fixed that with a screw like holds the air cleaner together.  Now I'm sure to win!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I installed the Eddy dual feed fuel line and made a few adjustments. (You never know why you need rod bending pliers, but you do.... If you have an Edelbrock)

I got a grommet and a new breather filter.
Installed them, a new heat riser aluminum flex hose.
Did a little engine bay cleanup.

Fed the little red bitch $60 worth of premium and a couple of quarts of oil (the old valve covers were leaking badly)
Kicked the base timing up to 12° btdc.

Still have a bad tic, but after going all over the engine with my stethoscope I still can't find it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
Why don't you have a sticker on your air cleaner?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which sticker?  What do you recommend?  

I have several little details to finish on the air cleaner, like the sticker, and clear-coating the lid.  And creating hot air ducting.  Plus, I haven't plumbed it up for vacuum to the motors on the snorkels.  

123456 ... 376