WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7507 messages Options
1234567 ... 376
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops, missed this post.  Did the timing change help?  But you are still down on power?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Beep beep, beep beep, his horn went beep beep beep.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Which sticker?  What do you recommend?  
I don't know what kind of sticker, but it looks like it needs something.

Years back we had a dialog on FTE about fonts for Dad's aircleaner.
What style is appropriate for an '85?
What would have this lid looked like from the factory?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
Beep beep, beep beep, his horn went beep beep beep.
One of my first girlfriends after I got out had a couple of Rambler's,  a station wagon, and some other Nash in the weeds of her yard.
I got one driving around under its own power but I think her dad just wanted  them as lawn ornaments.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, it needs something.  And the discussion in a previous life was here. I don't know what a 7.5L/460 had on its air cleaner lid. The 5.8LHO had black lettering that looked like this:

You found that http://www.fonts.com/font/linotype/neue-helvetica/93-black-extended came pretty close to the font, and gave this result for Dad's 400:

So, would just changing that to 7.5L 4V H.O. be appropriate?  Or, is using that scheme once, as I still plan to do on Dad's, enough?  But might it make them brothers?  Or should I stick on a standard Ford decal - like CobraJet?  ðŸ˜ˆ

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There's a few 460 aircleaner decals on eBay.

I chose the PI version....
There's orange and black with checkered flags.
Black on white with a blue border.
And, and, and...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
460 H.O. is a little redundant, don't you think?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, a 460 might be construed to be HO, but I think the idea is it is a high-output 460.  And Big Blue probably qualifies with an Eddy cam & intake, headers, etc.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Well I didn't exactly do anything besides open a box, but it was an occasion nonetheless. My ceramic coated Mahale turbo pistons from R&D arrived in the mail along with the flanges for the DNE2 and total seal gapless ring set! The pistons are so pretty it's almost a shame to put them inside an engine where you will never see them... nah, that's the perfect place for them!

...and back into the box they go. The gloves have come off and it's do or die to get the 1981 on the road. More on that later. I really need to put a new build thread together...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  They are pretty. Maybe next year you can bring them - in an engine, and providing power?

Hmmm, the text box is bigger than the screen. Have you noticed that?  Do I need to reduce the image size from 95 to 90%?  It looks like about 6 to 10 characters are off to the right.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I'm not sure about the image size Gary, I can see all of it in landscape mode on my phone, but I do notice the pictures are not fully justified to the left where the text starts. I also do not see this reply in the thread, but maybe it will show eventually. This is my first try at replying by email.

And yes! That would be a cool goal to arrive by diesel power next year! 😎

On Sep 2, 2017, at 11:12 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cool!  They are pretty. Maybe next year you can bring them - in an engine, and providing power?

Hmmm, the text box is bigger than the screen. Have you noticed that?  Do I need to reduce the image size from 95 to 90%?  It looks like about 6 to 10 characters are off to the right.
Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads, Weiand intake, Street Demon 750/ZF5/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/T19/3.55's

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p1115.html
To unsubscribe from WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?, click here.
NAML
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't do anything *to* my truck today, but I did go buy oil, a filter, and a brass plug for where the egr temp valve fits in the waterneck.

Yesterday I did have the truck up to about 95-100 and the carb seems ok (although the truck is down on power)

I have two people trying to give me efi 460's, but I don't have room to strip them to the short block, can't use the heads, intake or timing case.... so.

Also neither has a dipstick.
I spent over an hour trying to get an o-ring to seal mine and it's p!$$!#@ me off.
I also imagine my oil pan gasket looks about like my valve cover gaskets did.
Engine out operation for that!
I may as well just find another and freshen it up.

Cam recommendations?
I'll do some grinding if I can find the right engine to work on.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Big Blue is running the Edelbrock cam. I've read where people say it isn't enough cam, but it'll pull well from idle. I can lug it down to 500 RPM and it'll handle it without a fuss.  So, if you want power from idle it is a good one. But it probably gives away top end.

As for the pan, didn't you recommend a pan for Big Blue w/an o-ringed dip stick?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I think I did, after posting the pictures of the new from Summit Ford Racing oil pan kit, pan, one piece gasket, oil pump pickup and new slide in dipstick tube with late model T handle dipstick.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that's the one.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I posted the FRPP number of the rear sump kit and am well aware.
But I do not need a pan or a pickup.

If one of these later engines actually *had* the tube attached I would have
at least scavenged the pan and push in pickup tube.
But nooooo. Neither of them have the stick and tube.
And as far as I know the stick and tube are not available by themselves.

My Carter choke cap still hasn't shipped.
Ebay sellers that show stock, create a shipping label, and then order the
part in instead of just having it drop shipped really tick me off.

While I was under the truck messing about with my dipstick I noticed my cab
floor is going again (right under my heel, as usual)
I have another floor and a mig welder, but no place to fix it.

Who makes decent window seals for these trucks?
The LMC ones are all cracked and crumbling after 5 years.
Passenger side door is starting to blister in the pinch weld.
I'm just going to stick some plastic sprues through the drains and pour in
some epoxy while I'm working on the boat.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't need the pickup either, but Big Blue's pan is dented and both the gasket and dip stick leak like a sieve, so I'm going with that pan when I can pull the engine and fix the multitude of problems.

As for eBay sellers, I've been lucky - most of the ones I've used have shipped quickly. But that's not always the case, and I hope you get that choke cap soon.

On the weatherstripping, we don't have a longevity report, but Ozark1 reported this on this thread on FTE:

A couple weeks ago I replaced the window seals in my '84. Not being one to leave well enough alone..I figured I may as well do the doors too..NO PROBLEM..right? I used Carpenter window seals..so soon came Carpenter door seals . Opened the box like Ralphie. Then I saw it..a tiny sticker down in the corner..MADE IN CHINA !! Removed the old seal..installed new.Door would not shut past first click,so I called Carpenter and talked to parts Guru. He said..throw them away..I'll replace them. 3 days later..set 2..SAME deal.He said throw them away and I'll refund $$..SO..Called Steele..they get theirs from Carpenter..77.40/pr. Called LMC..80./pr. Carpenter supplies them.. Called Soffseal..they get theirs from Carpenter..55.35/ea. Called Metro Moulded..They get theirs from INDIA !.51.00/ea.(Rock Auto sells same for 59.00/PR.! Called Precision Replacement Parts.This is the Mother Ship..They supply everyone EXCEPT Metro..I called Gary, and he suggested I post this. And..FORD still sells them..89.00 EACH. Ordered pair from Metro this AM thru Rock Auto..$69/pr shipped...Will advise..

It looks like we only have two true sources, so if the Chinese version doesn't last I'd try the Indian version. And, reading that thread I was reminded that I promised to make a page about this subject on my web site - and haven't done so.   Maybe soon.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
This morning I rerouted my fuel and vacuum lines, swapped for a big metal fuel filter, adjusted my hood latch with a carbide burr in the die grinder, tried to aim my headlamps, and searched some more for my ticking sound.

This afternoon I finally noticed that my choke has shipped!

I'm going to start looking for a carbureted 460 to mildly build and swap in.
Or just a pair of early heads that I don't have to do so much work on compared to D3VE's
Then I can use one of these efi engines that are being scrapped.

I was perusing Scott's site and he was recommending the XE256H cam that that I was looking at.

I'm going to need better springs and would like lightweight retainers and pushrods (just because it can never hurt)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I liked the XE256H I put in that 351W that we colluded on the valve swirling, head porting, etc.  Would turn the tires from idle w/a C6 and 3.50's.  But I don't know anything about it for a 460.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
And that engine ended up in Rusty, or Brownie?    or where???

Scott also says that the XE-262-h can be used in a 460 and it is a blast to drive, but that you have to watch how much compression you have.

I've got a Torino/Cougar fanatic buddy who moved to Florida.
He probably has a few pair of regular 429-460 heads in addition to his
motherlode of PI/CJ/SCJ/SOC heads.

Have you ever seen the internals of a genuine Holman-Moody Talladega
engine?   (Yeah, he's that nuts.....)

I would be real happy with any regular C8, C9,  or D0VE-C heads to do a
little rubbing on.
 Jim,
1234567 ... 376