WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7507 messages Options
1234 ... 376
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, it really wasn't my truck, but it was an F150.  A friend from church brought his '93 w/a 5.0L over and we changed out the oil pressure sending unit - again.  The last time, a couple of years ago, he asked if I could help him figure out why oil was going everywhere.  I said "Sure, bring it over" we put it on the lift and discovered the sending unit was leaking - badly.

This time he said he loses oil pressure on the gauge, but it is still full of oil and makes no noise.  So, I had him buy a new sender and we swapped it out.  Problem fixed - for now.  He's buying cheap senders and it is likely to come back to bite us again.  Luckily it is an easy fix.

And, I got the Prodigy P3 trailer brake controller in from Amazon today, so will probably install it tomorrow and/or Thursday.  Just want to have brakes for the trailer when I take Dad's truck to the show and/or GTG.  I'll write up the install in Big Blue's thread when I do it, but needed something to write about on my truck to kick off this thread.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

1986F150Six
Administrator
How do you begin a new thread?

On my truck, I slightly retarded the timing as I had detected some pre-ignition under a load. I will test it on my drive home, today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To start a new thread (topic in Nabble-speak) click on the New Topic button that is highlighted in yellow.

And, fyi, if you want to give someone a link to a post, you have to get the permalink instead of the URL in the browser's window.  Click the Permalink button, circled in red, and copy what pops up.

As for your truck's timing, what are you back to?  And, have you seen your sub-forum to document your Gas Mileage Recipe?  (Link done via Permalink.)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've done nothing to, or even with, the truck yet today - but I'm gonna. Some people new to our church family are moving in today, so Big Blue and I are headed over to help. Will check in later today. But, I also have to mow and trim, and I'd better clean the gutter that always seems to clog as we are to get 5-7" of rain in the next 3 days.

So, this here forum will have to wait a bit. But, I hope by the time I get back Jim and Mike have joined.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Didn't quite get to "use" Big Blue in the unloading today, but I did drive him over there. He's fun to drive!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the brake controller mounted in Big Blue today, as described here: http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Big-Blue-tp234p235.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Out with the 2wd T18 crossmember and transmission, in with the 4x4 crossmember and diesel ratio T19. Hot, muggy, and so many clouds of mosquitoes under the truck that the air was vibrating. But the show must go on. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of progress this summer.

Sadly the shift lever ends are NOT the same. I was hoping to use the old style shift lever with the classic curve and threaded shift knob. But the T19 has a much shorter end.

I also found out the hard way that the T19 floor plan has a bigger hole in it and a much larger boot than the T18/NP435. Luckily I still have mine, it's in the diesel. But the crew cab is currently a storage shed. I did not have time to empty it, take up the carpet and extract the right floor pan. Dang details!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, Jim is wont to say "Progress is good", and I agree with him.  But that tranny looks strange.  I don't think my T19 looks like that.  What's the difference?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
The T19 looks normal to me, just like others I've seen in the junkyard. The T18 is odd to me, with the long tail housing. It has the slip spline in the tail housing and a single piece drive shaft.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hmmm.  I'll have to look Big Blue over tomorrow to see what his T19 looks like.  I'm hoping to get the brake controller wired up, so can take a look.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops, I forgot to look BB's T19 over yesterday. Got too busy working on some silly forum.   And then when I did work on him I was less than successful, as described here. Maybe today will be better.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Took a look at Big Blue's T19, and it looks exactly like yours.  Guess I'd never looked very closely.

And, just fyi for y'all.  I did get the voltmeter working properly today: http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Big-Blue-tp234p347.html.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I changed the floats in my Holley to brass today.
(Frickn fracken non adjustable float valves...)

Replaced some fuel line and vacuum caps.
At least it is driveable again.  

I want to fix my leaky valve covers and am about giving up on Blue Thunder.
But, I did see a pair of OMC inboard covers on Ebay that might do the trick.
Kinda wish I still had access to a bead blast cabinet and a powder coating oven.
(That shop closed a couple of months ago)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Still planning to go with an Eddy when/if you find one?

On the valve covers, you were suggesting Blue Thunder to me.  So, are they not available or?  And what do the OMC covers look like?  I'm still looking.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was doing some work on a boat last week.
While rewiring the pumps (trim, fuel, bilge) It hit me...
This *is* a 460, and those OMC king cobra valve covers look pretty close to the Blue Thunder ones.

I like that they're not 4" tall
There is a small flat in the center but no provision for wire separators.
If I can get them for $100 and clean them up I will finally be rid of tin.  

Ebay can be fickle.
A lot can happen in the last minutes of any listing.

Same with the used 1826.
If it doesn't attract a lot of bids, a kit and a Ford throttle stud are not a big deal.
I know enough people with a fuel log kicking around the garage.

Meanwhile my truck is not missing, and stalling if I brake too hard any more.

Not today but recently I've also replaced the muffler and made a head pipe flange.
Got a *new* spare tire rim and cleaned up the carrier.
Bridged the passenger side door at the vent window pivot.

There's always something when your truck is a dd.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like those valve covers!  I'll let you get them, in 1 day & 3 hrs, and then I'll shop. Was that on a white outdrive?  Had one of those. The dealership called it a "working outdrive" - you had to keep working on them to keep them working. 🙈

Looks like you've done a lot to your truck recently. Yes, there's always something, but there's also a useable stopping point. Maybe you are getting close?

Anyway, let us know how the bidding goes. 👍

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Today, I did a temperature check, just for giggles [not having a problem]. At work, I have had the need for checking temperatures and have been using a hand held infrared thermometer. I park very near to where my work area is located, so left the engine running and retrieved the thermometer. The idle time was maybe 2 minutes.

The thermostat housing measured 184F; the upper radiator hose checked ~175 by the radiator and the lower radiator hose was ~125-130F. The thermostat is rated as 195F.

The drive to work was a very leisurely 45 mph drive and the ambient temperature was 75F.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like the cooling system is working quite well, David.  

I forgot to report last night that I drove Big Blue yesterday and the voltmeter change worked extremely well.  The voltage used to vary significantly based on what accessories were on, but now it stays rock-steady.  I'm seeing just over 14 volts, and I suspect it'll go up slightly as the truck hasn't been on any long drives of late so the batteries aren't "hot".  And, with 1150 + 850 = 2000 CCA's it may take that 1G a while to get them there.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I like those valve covers!  I'll let you get them, in 1 day & 3 hrs, and then I'll shop. Was that on a white outdrive?  Had one of those. The dealership called it a "working outdrive" - you had to keep working on them to keep them working. 🙈

Looks like you've done a lot to your truck recently. Yes, there's always something, but there's also a useable stopping point. Maybe you are getting close?

Anyway, let us know how the bidding goes. 👍
Yes, I won

I already have 2 dozen stainless flange head bolts, a new breather cap (from U-techcenter), a can of PJ1 600° wrinkle black, and those red silicone gaskets.
I guess some wire separators/holders are going to be needed.

Truck now has a hiccup coming off trailing throttle.
At least it's not dying coming to a stop.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Jim - Cool!  I want pics as that may be the way I go.

As for what I did with, not to, my truck today - drove it to 16 places in "my little town", to borrow a Paul Simon phrase.   I was taking the flier for the get-together around, and I got them posted in 14 of those places. But it took me almost two hours as I got into several conversations about trucks.  

In fact, I think I recruited someone for this forum today. DeWayne, from Skiatook Auto Parts, if you are reading this you found the right place.

However, going to 16 different places meant a lot of low-speed turns, and I noticed a repeated clunk as I was turning. Seemed like it was pretty much straight ahead of the driver, and happened as I was changing directions with the steering. Guess I need to check things out. Maybe the frame at the steering box, or a rivet, or....  Wish I knew where there was a TSB on that.

1234 ... 376