WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7506 messages Options
12345 ... 376
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It could be the crossmember rivets as outlined in the Ford TSB.

I'm not sure how much is new in the front end of that truck.
Suppose I'd check the calipers, tie rods and ball joints just for s&g if I had a lift like you.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
New = springs, bushings, shocks, tie rods, drag link, ball joints, steering box, and power steering pump.  Dunno about the calipers.  But I will check it out - when I can.  Right now prep for the get-together, as well as web site and forum "stuff", is keeping me busy.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

93F3507.3
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That would be me. DeWayne.
1993 F350 7.3 IDI turbo, 1997 F250HD 351w flat bed, 1988 MustangGT (stock) 2005 MustangGT (stock), 1999 Expedition (Eddie Bower), Wife's ride 2013 Mazda3  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry for having the name wrong, but it has been corrected.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Well, I bought an egr block off spacer today.

The eBay Edelbrock still doesn't have a bid on it, with less than 2 days to go...

Washed my truck for the first time this year.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Getting geared up for the Eddy I see. Hope you get it.

As for washing trucks, that reminds me I'll have to do a bit of that before the show.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Observed!

I have been driving my son's 1984 with 4.9L engine and it was time for a fuel fill-up. As is my usual practice, I check the oil and take a quick look around the engine bay. I had driven approximately 3 miles from cold start and was surprised to see how much condensation was apparent looking at the carburetor and EGR adapter. It was like it was raining! The ambient temperature was ~75F and the humidity was not high. The engine was performing quite well and I thought to myself that this was a good example of why the engines were designed with heat going to the base of the intake manifold and to the air intake snorkel!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The engine wasn't yet warm, and our new page on EGR's says the EGR valve won't be open on a cold engine. So the Venturi effect was chilling the carb enough that water was condensing out of the air. Cool!  Literally!  That really is a good example of why heat is plumbed to the carb. Think what would happen at cooler temps.

Now, I do wonder about one of your statements though - "the humidity was not high"?  I guess the reader has to know that was Alabama in August to understand that the humidity was probably 70%, which isn't high for then and there. 😅

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David, when you say the condensation was almost like it was raining, what was the moisture condensing on?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Jonathan, the carburetor throttle body and the EGR adapter which is between the carburetor and intake manifold [for the six banger]. Both were totally covered with condensed water and it was actually dripping.

Yes, Gary, 70% humidity is relatively low. NW Alabama can be humid, but I have lived in south Louisiana [Baton Rouge] and Alabama is arid compared to there in August! :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We are at 66% and that is high for us.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Yes, and you get snow in the Winter!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Yeah, that's not happening to mine, but the humidity is 24% here,and that's pretty high because it's been raining in the afternoons.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Some progress today (Progress is good!  )

I got the valve covers cleaned, stripped, washed, solvent washed, painted and the ribs sanded.

I got the carburetor stripped, rehoned, cleaned, rebuilt and adjusted to the instructions.
That carb must have been sitting full of water, and it was REALLY crappy inside.

I got the spacer filled, and the port plugged.

Picked up a couple of feet of 3/8 fuel line at NAPA when I ran for more carb cleaner.

I know, I know... pics or it didn't happen.
When i get onto wifi and can sync my phone, I'll post them
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Can't wait to see the valve covers!  👍

Re-honed?  What's that?

Anyway, you are making good progress. And, as you say, progress is GOOD!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There was a lot of pitting in both the pump cavity and the needle piston cavities.
A little fill with JB Weld and some wet-or-dry paper around the proper mandrel hopefully cleaned everything up.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Makes sense now. Thanks, and good luck.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk

Proof enough that I got something done yesterday?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I believe!  Good job!

Does the one valve cover have a label on it?  Or did it?  Does it say Cobra?  Can't quite tell. But they look great. 👍

The work on the EGR plate looks great as well. And the carb cleaned up nicely. You did well!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Both valve covers were badged "OMC 460"

The paint stripper turned the clear covering to goo so I worked them off with the heat gun.

The crinkle didn't end up as even as I would have liked, and I didn't get all the nicks out of the ribs prior to paint.

But I'm happy to have no leaks and like the look.
Need to paint the fill neck and get a grommet for the new breather now.
 Jim,
12345 ... 376