516 messages Options
1 ... 1920212223242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

firefire
Hi.
Permatex is also available here. As I understand it will replace a convential gasket. You just apply it between the parts ?
Stein
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I applied it to the flange and then put the flange on the pan, but only finger tight so The Right Stuff had a chance to expand.  Then the next day I tightened the screws and cut the excess off.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Ok. I will go and get The Right Stuff tomorrow so I can get started with the reassembly.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It has the be the right stuff because it is The Right Stuff.

Kinda reminds me of this episode of The Vicar Of Dibley:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
This post was updated on .
Hi.

Here it is still changing between snowing / raining. But the daylight hours are getting longer. Spring is getting closer. Have not got the pan back on. Had to order The Right Stuff. Will get it next week. So have been cleaning the pan for a new gasket. Observing the cylinders and pistons from the under side. Looks good to me. Next was filling up with brake fluid, Dot 3. Had my wife with me to operate the brake pedal. Did the front calipers first. Worked out good. But under the right side drum there was a puddle of brake fluid. Thats not fun. My first thought was that the new wheel cylinder was broken and that the bands would be soaked with brake fluid  Luckily the bands were dry.  Took out the wheel cylinder and took it apart. One of the rubber cups behind the pistons was askew. The brake fluid partly dissolved my nice green paint on the wheel cylinder, but the black professional paint on the brakeshield was luckily not affected. Reassembled the wheel cylinder. Washed away brake fluid with water. Very effective. Then we could continue bleeding the brakes. It was a little challenging. I had trouble getting the air out. Looking over the connections on the brake line I found several small leaks. Tightened them up and we finally got the brakes bled. That was the little onion peeling on Saturday. Next up will hopefully be getting the oil pan back on
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that is onion peeling.  And jobs like this require lots of that.  Glad you got the brakes bled.  Very important and sometimes hard to do.

Good luck on the pan.  That can be very frustrating under the truck.  Hope yours isn't.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
It is a little complicated working on the pan like this. Its an awkward working position and hard to both reach and see what you are doing. But I thought it would be even more work lifting the engine out. More work yes, but as I know now not so uncomfortable.
Went for a trip to Ã…lesund this evening.
About 18.00 hours. Still nice light.IMG_20230226_175020_7.jpg
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it isn't fun having oil drip on you while you work.  I'll pull the engine if I have to pull the pan.

And your picture of Ã…lesund is beautiful!

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Finally got The Right Stuff🙂. It is the 1 minute version. Have drilled up the mounting holes for the dipstick adapter ( I dont know exactely what to call the part ) to 6,5 mm in the oil pan. Screws are 6mm. Have also deburred the holes inside and outside. Outside got 2 layers primer and paint. The inside area for the adapter is cleaned/ sanded down. I wonder is it necessary to prime/ paint the inside area where the adapter is attached ? Dont think I have any paint that would survive inside the oil pan either. Or is it OK with The Right Stuff on the bare steel ?
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn’t paint or prime. Was afraid that the paint would come loose and clog the oil pickup screen. So I just used it against the bare metal.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Now the snow has come back. The coming week we will have temperatures between +1--9`C ( F 34- 16 ). And more snow. Got some work done. I found this in oil pickup. Stopped by the screen.Put the dip stick adapter back on like this.  Next up was getting the new oil pan gasket on. Its a Felpro one piece gasket. It was actually not so difficult to get the gasket under and past the oil pump. Applied some of The Right Stuff in the corners and where the timing cover meets the oil pan. The mounting pins that came with the gasket were really helpful. And after fastening the oil pan I could lower the engine down. Now I hope everything came on correctely  But the job had its costs  Spent some time today to get the right side exhaust manifold back on. I could take it off without removing the spark plugs but couldnt get it on without . They had a little to big gap so I ended up taking all 8 out. Adjusted them to 1 mm. It is a little tricky both to get some of them out and particularely back in. There really isnt much room for fingers  between some of these Bassani tubes.. But with patience you will succeed in the end. Next up will be getting the alternator back on, filling up the steering pump tank ( which I thought I had plugged well after taking off the oil return hose. Found all oil had leaked out on the cardboard / carpet below) and filling up with engine oil. And put the dip stick back on. Then judgement day starting Eddie.
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Everything looks great, Stein, save for the arm.  Ouch!  But it doesn't look permanent.

You'll have it running very soon.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. New report from the Nort West of Norway. Last Sunday was a beatiful day. Here is a picture to prove it. But Monday was back to cloudy and some snow. Temperatures are just under and over the freezing point. The last days I got the alternator back in. I also made me a new ground wire. 35mm2. I think its a little thicker than the original. Tapped the hole in the frame up for a 10mm screw. Like this. A short and a long part. This evening I finally decided it was time to check if the oil pan fix had been successful. So filled up with oil and looked over everything for the fifth time to make sure I had got all the pieces together. Cranked several short tries with longer pauses. When I heard Eddie start cranking slower I thought I wouldnt get him started. But on the next 2 tries he finally got gas and happily started. After running for 20 minutes and reaching full operating temperature I could not find a leak  
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!  Well done!  

And your ground looks good.  Can't have too many or too big of grounds.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Spring is getting closer but the snow is still here. Thought I should clean up the wheels before I put them on Eddie. I drove about 5000 miles last year and that left a lot of brake dust inside the front rims. Both rear and front rims have grey spots on their polished outside. Brought the front wheels home to see what could be done. After washing the rims several times they still had spots of brake dust. Autosol Metal Polish removed the remaining spots like a champ. I used a rag and rubbed it out by hand. Washed afterwards.  When it comes to the polished side I was a little afraid of using the Metal Polish. It may be a little to coarse. So I got hold of Autosol Aluminium Polish. This is also free of ammonia. Comparing Metal Polish and Aluminium Polish.  Alu Polish is brightest. Here I compared Aluminium Polish against Acrylic Polish on the polished side, scary. Alu Polish Acryl Polish I jugded the Alu Polish to give the best result. Then testing the Alu Polish against watermark. And the result In my opinien very good. When you look at the reflection of my finger the polished part is brighter than the original finish. All polishing is done by hand and microfiber towel. Before dearing to work on the whole rim I decided to try to clean up the bullet holes. Used this and Autosol Metal Polish Its best to only work from the back side of the rim. To avoid this. But I think I can polish it good again with the Aluminium Polish. When wiping away this stuff it is also easy to dull the surface a little.Actually you easily scratch that polished surface even with your fingernails. So next up will be polishing the complete outside of the rims. Scary, scary...
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
As always, great attention to detail.

Do you plan on sealing the newly polished surfaces?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!

And, good question about sealing.  My aluminum wheels had a clear coat to them and I powder coated them clear.  Turned out well, but was a lot of work.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
This evening I polished the bright side of the wheels. As you can see there was a lot of oxydation marks. To remove them I had to put some weight in the polishing.   For sealing I will try this Have only read it being recommended by several users. I am no expert in this. Gsmblue: How does your MT rims look like after the first season ?
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Today the sun is shining. Temp. around freezing point 🙂. This morning I waxed the wheels with  Flusso Soft99. Now my hands are so slick I have problem with getting a grip on my house door handles😄. Applied it 3 times on both sides of the rims. Have only done the front wheels. Did the first rim without washing it before applying wax. Seems that the wax cleaned out more black  dirt from the polishing. Before doing the second wheel I had it out for a wash. As you can see the Autosol finish is also water repellent. Did not think I got much black stuff off. But when waxing after drying off the rim with a paper towel I think there was less black stuff left. Using the applicator, swamp, that came eith the wax was very effective. Then buffing off with a micro fiber cloth. I am pleased with the result  The finish of the polishing could maybe be better if you use a polishing machine. Well, next will be the rear wheels.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They look great, Stein!  Well done!  

1 ... 1920212223242526