classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
507 messages Options
1 ... 23242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

firefire
Hi. Now its easter holiday here. The snow is mostly up in the mountains were it should be.
Between 5 and 10'C in daytime. Even a little sunshine🙂. I am mostly occupied with installing a used engine in my f350. The original engine has a coolant leak from the block and an oil leak from the timing cover. Its a lot of work. And as a I dig in to it I find more and more worn out parts...And the donor engine is from a van which means there are a few parts that are not compatible with the pickup😯. A few days ago Eddie developed a ticking sound. It follows the revs.I suspected the fuel pump. But after replacing it the sound is still there. I also disconnected the ps pump, but the sound is still there. Its from the driver side of the engine. Have to look further into it. See if I can post a video.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Stein - Glad your weather is warming so that you can get work done on your trucks.  But that does seem like a lot of work.

On the tapping noise, might it be a lifter?  Or an exhaust leak?  Lots of times an exhaust leak sounds like a tapping noise.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
https://youtube.com/shorts/SMWKwDzCIGA?feature=share
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That sounds like an exhaust leak to me.  I'd try tightening up the header bolts to see if the noise changes.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
classic header leak. it has the pulse of a single cylinder. look closely when it has cooled off at gaskets, plugs etc. anything in the immediate area of the head-header fitment. often a leak like this will have a little black soot around the leak point and it can soot up the anything nearby also. cameras are very helpful seeing the back and bottom of each tube. you could just re tighten all the bolts, but I like to pair the visual with that. I have seen cases where header bolts were too long for the heads and if you were to tighten a bolt(s) that is already bottomed out in your aluminum heads you might be sorry. if you don't find any loose then remove an easy one and check the depth of the head threads.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Your analyses were right on. Tried to re tighten the bolts but it did not help. So had to find a new gasket to put on. Glad I have some spares of different stuff laying around🙂.   Ataching a new gasket went well. No leaks. I checked the lenght of the bolts and they went in 3 mm more than the thickness of the manifold. Also had a little oil on the treads to make it easier to tighten them hard.
To celebrate this we went for a ride and to visit a friend 🙂  Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got that fixed, Stein.  

Beautiful pic!

1 ... 23242526