507 messages Options
1 ... 212223242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
It's disappointing for the pump, it makes you wonder if there is anything that is not made in China.

Good to hear it looks to work well!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
one thing that I must have missed. I saw where you had a little oil coming through the vent hole in the fuel pump casting, but I did not notice where you found a broken or defective part.
if you look closely the casting is open to the timing cover from this point. there is no seal or diaphragm between here and the engine internal atmosphere. so it is entirely possible for oil being slung by the timing chain or even oil vapor condensation to accumulate there. it also helps keep all of the pump arm assembly lubricated. a slight bit is not a problem. although I personally find any oil outside of an engine to be a leak and I MUST fix them or at least clean up my mess. not all seals are perfect. if it was no more than what you showed in the first pic then it was not a failed pump. now if it was gas then yes it was bad.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
I am like you. I don't like oil leaks. When exactely the pump started leaking oil I cant tell. I noticed the oil around the oil filter and the side of the oil pan. The oil leak was to much for me. And there is a seal on the round plate at the top of the pump assembly to prevent oil from entering the innards or gas entering engine. I wonder how long the AcDelco pump will last. For now it works fine and without a sound. Edit: Here is what I believe is wrong. Pin not fastened straight to the membran. Seal on top plate.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Here it is still cold. 4`C / 38F. Went for a ride to a amcar meeting in Fosnavåg. About 2 hours away from home.
And for those of us with electrically controlled chokes. Hook up that little wire before you go. I forgot and wondered after driving awhile why Eddie ran so rich ( nice having a AFR meter in the dash). And idle around 1200 rpm. Cause, not connected 12V wire. Here is from the meet.
Eddie ran nice all day despite the cold weather.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Eddie runs good but there is always something to do. Summer is here and vacation.But it has been relatively cold. Now its 10'c/50'f. Here is a few pictures from a meet.Have done some work on Eddie. The chrome trimming on the rear sides were bad. It was not so difficult to press the new ones on. Used a glider for rubber seals. Did that with my fingers. But I found it smart to put in the metal covers in the corners first. They were a real pain to get in place.Actually the old ones were good. I should have left them in place and only pulled the old bad trimmings out. Next up was new seals for the rear window and tailgate. Not so difficult. The cover plate on the tail gate was a little rusted on the inside. Tried to fix it with some fiberglass. Then new paint. The lid on the spray can looked like Eddies color. But big miss.Have to do for now. As you can see the dash lies in there. Had to remove it to be able to get this screw out.  Thats because I wanted to replace the door seals as well. That was also more work than I thought it would be. The right side A- panel was impossible to remove. It was glued on to the windshield. Had a hard time to get the seal on under the panel. Had the radio out and blew the old dust out of it. They dont make them like this anymore. Made in Canada. After replacing the seals the doors need considerable force to shut. I may have to adjust the doors out. Today I decided to drop the fuel tank. Had 2 issues. The venting when filling the tank did not work. Eddie was spitting fuel out if I filled to fast. So had to fill very slowly. Next was covering the wiring inside the frame with protective tubes. Old one was smoldering.  Also had to disconnect all the plugs at the rear. They are really hard to pull apart.This because I had to reroute the wiring at about the middle of the transmission. My wrong when putting in a new brake line along the frame. The tubing of the wires are still not finished. The venting problem was caused by the venting tube falling out of the filler neck and down into the tank. Fixed it with a tie around the tube were it enters the tank and a little pressure on the tube were it comes out of the filler neck.So now the tank is back up again. Think I spent 8 hours on this. That tank is big and heavy when you are lying on a concrete floor under the car. Filled it up this evening and now the venting works.
Enough for now.
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That is a LOT of WORK!  Well done.  

But it looks like you are making good progress.  I like the trim piece on the window.  Just discovered that I have that insert for the sliding rear window and might consider doing that on Big Blue.  Did it just pull out?  Any other tips?

On the doors, you will probably have to adjust the strikers out for a while until the weatherstripping compresses a bit.  Then you should be able to re-adjust them in to allow the doors to align with the body.

Glad you got the vent in the tank sorted.  Pulling that tank is a huge pain.  

But what do you mean that one of the wires was "smoldering"?  It had shorted out?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I have replaced that chrome trim too, it lasted about a year and started to flake again! I hope yours lasts longer.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi.
The inserts are easy to pull out. Leave the corners in place if they are good. They were difficult to mount. I placed one side of the insert in its groove and managed to press the other side in with my finger tips. I also use a silicone based glider for rubber. Guess soap, or the stuff you use when mounting tires on rims would work too.
It was not the wire that was smoldering. It was the grey plastic tube around the wires.New tubes the lenght of the frame.  Do you know if Ford used such tubes in 1986 ?
And gsmblue. Hope the chrome sits for more than a year 🙁. And I dont wash Eddie with high pressure. Only with sponge and our garden hose 🙂. Here is a picture from this evening.
Greetings Stein
Edit Picture 🙄
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. A little news from Norway. Have vacation now. Staying home with fantastic weather. More than a week without rain. Temps up to 74F. Eddie runs great. No special problems. Thought I could replace the battery tray since I got a new one some time ago. Taking out the old one was pretty straight forward. Prepaired the new one with 2 layers of clear paint and 2 rounds of Tectyl. So I thought this was a good plan. That lasted untill I should mount the new tray. The left nut was sitting 1/4" to low and made it impossible for me to screw the bolt in.☹️. Had to grind the nut away and use a round file to move the hole upwards. Once again a not so great replacement part. Luckily my arms are long enough to reach the nut inside the fender and the screw in the engine bay at the same time 🙂. So finally got the battery back in. Here is some photos from a meet last weekend.
Greetingd Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, I missed the bit about the convolute smoldering.  And I missed that beautiful picture!  

But your work on the battery tray turned out good, although it wasn't w/o difficulties.  Glad you got it sorted.

And those are cool vehicles.  You have some neat ones there, although I don't know what they are.  However, the maroon one behind the convertible in the first pic of cars reminds me of a '37 Plymouth.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
The maroon is a Pontiac The one beside it is a 1926 Chrysler Imperial. E-80 Phateon. It came to Norway in 1931 and had been owned by John Dillinger ( the gangster ) in the USA. The blue car is a Buick.
Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the explanation.  I wasn't very close with my guess.  

But those are cool cars!  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Have mostly being driving around with Eddie these sunny days. And my f350 needed my attention. Lubrication, trying to fix a oil leak (crack in the timing cover) that has bothered me for years. This time with the help of The Right Stuff.  And a new drag link. But today I took Eddie for a drive. Had to adjust the side mirror so drove the window down. Big was my surprise when the window would not go up again. Not a sound from the window motor. Luckily it was nice and sunny then. Now in the evening it has started to rain. In my garage I got the motor out. Only 3 screws and you get it out of the hole under the speaker. Somebody has been there before and drilled 2 holes to reach the screws. gear house  Dissasembled and cleaned  The motor was really dirty inside, even down to the brushes. Looked like a mix of grease and dust. It smelled burned inside. The cracked plastic gear ring could explain why the motor ran (light/heavy) with uneven speed earlier and the filthy brushes probably caused the full stop.  Put the motor together again but ordered a new one since the brushes were well worn. Had they been better I may have replaced only the plastic gear ring.  To keep the window closed while wating for the new motor I used a zip tie. Thats it for now.
PS. I think I understand what will stop the motor when the window reaches top or bottom if you dont let go of the button. They made a switch with bimetal at one of the conection points inside the motor for the power. When window reaches an end stop the current causes the bimetal to get hot and bend away to cut the contact. You can see the swith in the third picture.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Stein!  

I'd never seen that switch before, although I have had the motors apart.  But that does make sense.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Thought this was a nice photo on the longest day. Taken  around 10 pm. It really does not get dark during the night now.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wonderful, Stein!  Love the pic!  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by firefire
Wonderful pict!

And it's true, days are becoming shorter starting now.  Already!

But forget it, let's enjoy summer time!
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Yes, summer is not over🙂. Midsummernight is celebrated with big and small bonfires everywhere in Norway. Here is a picture a big one in Ålesund. Made of pallets by some youngsters. They pull and carry every pallet by hand. This year it is 40 meters high, ca. 130'. 
Stein
Search Youtube for : slinningsbålet ålesund, bonfire ålesund
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a BIG bonfire!  And pallets burn quite well.  

What time was that picture taken?

As a kid I never thought of it, but the first time I visited London was in June, many years ago, and I was amazed by how much light there was late into the night.  In fact I took a picture of Big Ben at 10:30 at night and it looked like full daylight.  Then we actually moved to London years later and "lighting up time", the official time when a vehicle's headlights have to be turned on, was 3:40 in the afternoon in December.

That's when I realized that every spot on earth gets the same amount of daylight in a year.  Some get most of it in summer (those at the poles) and some have it even the whole year 'round (those at the equator).

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by firefire
Wow, really impressive!

Yesterday (June 24th) was the Quebec National Day.  At present, there is a province wide total ban on open fires, because of the forest fires, mostly uncontrolled.

Even no fireworks... Let's say the Holliday is somewhat quiet.

Mont-Tremblant's Iron Man competition was cancelled this morning, because of the smog.

Here's this morning at my chalet, and what this view normally looks:

Restored 2019-2022.
1 ... 212223242526