509 messages Options
1 ... 2223242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That's a LOT of smoke!  But those fires gave NYC and other New England towns that yellow/orangish haze as well.  It is a big problem, both from the smoke but especially the fires that are still burning.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
These fires aren’t usual.  An average year has 258 forest fires for 20,400 acres burned.

We're still in June, and 475 fires already destroyed 2,870,000 acres.

As an example, here is an uncontrolled fire in the region where my friend has a fishing camp (LG-3, James Bay).  See the fire progress for these dates (June 2-12-22):

I have a thought for all the fire fighters up there.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.The pictures from Ålesund were taken after 11.00 pm. In Norway it is generally not allowed to light a bonfire in or near the woods from April 15. to Sept. 15. But there is an opening to use common sense , bonfire on a beach far enough from the woods as an example..
The fires in Canada are enourmes. We have had a few fires in Norway. Much smaller scale. And they have been put out. It certainly is a tough job to be a fireman.
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I suppose common sense is more developed in Norway than here...

A friend of my wife related that she had to call the police about her moron neighbor, who made a big fire in his courtyard.  Fire Service came, extinguished the fire and the guy won a 12,000$ CAD ticket.

Stein, I realize I am hacking your Eddie's thread.  Sorry!

Gary, maybe you can move my "forest fire" post elsewhere?

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Summer is still here. Weather changing between rain , cloudy or sun. Temp. between 60 and 70 F.
Have replaced the driver side window motor.  The new motor runs smooth and nice. Hope it will last. Another project has been to replace the old fuel line. That should not be so complicated I thought. So I bought 25` 5/16" nylon line, Dorman 800-080 connectors and a Fram G3802A fuel filter ( which turned out to be a Wix 33097 ). But things are not as easy as you believe. The fuel filter was big but thats to live with. But I found out that there is no room for the needed special tool to disconnect the connectors from the fuel filter. And at the shorter pipe end you can not even get the connector attached  So operation fuel line got postponed.. I searched and grumbled a lot before finally ordering 4 Dorman 800-564 connectors. They are easily opened from the side. In the picture the black/ grey connector is the 800-080 and the black/ blue is the 800-564. Both these connectors are for steel pipe 5/16" and the barbed end is for 5/16 " nylon line. I got the 800-564 connectors a few weeks ago. I noticed their barbed end had an o-ring and was a little thicker. -564 had .36" diameter, -080 .34". That resulted in me not getting the -564 connectors in the nylon line. Used heat gun, silicone but could not knock the connector in. The line collapsed. I gave up and ordered a 3/8" nylon line. Thought I had misunderstood nylon line dimensions inside or outside ? Project postponed again. Here Eddie is at Atlanterhavsvegen. Well this weekend I had it all ready ( I thought ). It was super easy to put the -564 connectors on the 3/8" nylon line. But I knew at the back of my head that the connector was made for 5/16" line. So I had to try again. No heating, only silicon on the barbed end. But this time with as little as possible of hose sticking up from the clamp. Success. Then moving up the hose a little bit more for the next step. Then I avoided collapsing the nylon line. Light taps on the socket did it. Here is the original setup. The original steel pipe was in very good condition. So I cleaned it up. Primed it with Brunox and painted it blue.  As you can see in the last picture I had to use the old fuel line at the rear because the connector at the tank is steel 3/8" Which I did not have. I modified a -080 connector to get it on the fuel filter for now. So once again I had to look through all possible connectors from Dorman. They have red, green, blue ang grey locking systems. I found one called 800-597 , 3/8" steel to 5/16" barbed. This one with red locking  They have a confusing array of connectors. And its very hard to understand if there is a difference beside locking system. So now I am waiting for this last connector in my fuel line saga. But Eddie does not care. As long as he gets to feed on Gasoline. 13mpg. He loves driving around.  And even among cows you have individuals that wont follow the crowd.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What a story, Stein!  But our temp is 101F at the moment, and summer is really HERE!

I, too, found the different fuel fittings confusing.  But I used the Dorman tool to put them in the line and it worked pretty well.  Didn't have any lines collapsing.  Glad you finally figured out how to do it.  

But those are beautiful pics.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Now I want blue fuel lines!

Great work as always. I should do this too.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
😄. ArdWrkTrk wrote sometime " Why does everything ( under the truck )have to be black ? "
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
firefire wrote
😄. ArdWrkTrk wrote sometime " Why does everything ( under the truck )have to be black ? "
Greetings Stein
Unfortunately, here in the "Rust Kingdom", the answer is «because it's going to be anyway», due to the anti-rust stuff we have to spray underneath.

Otherwise, I recently saw a guy who is restoring a muscle car.
All body parts are painted yellow+clear finished, under car included.
Very impressive, his paint shop is equipped with a "body handler" (?) that holds the entire car body and flip it so he can pivot and work on any part vertically.

Note that this car will never ever see the winter.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Its the same here with rust protection. All main roads are salted during winter. So the  all year round cars and trucks have a hard life.
Eddie lives sheltered from winter roads 🙂.

Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I can add that sometimes (mostly when some residences are built close to), they pour calcium on gravel roads during summer time too, to avoid dust.

I suppose that summer calcium isn’t better than winter one!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Yup. They do the same here to. But luckily more and more seldom. Can not remember last I drove on a salted gravel road. Maybe because there are fewer of them now 🤔.
This weekend we had a short 2 day trip to Smøla. A island little north of us. It is very flat. The picture is the sight towards main land. Higher mountains there 🙂.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful!  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi again.
Autumn is here. After 9 p.m. it starts getting dark. Eddie runs great and we have had some road trips. This picture is from Dovrefjell , about 3300 feet high plateu. On this trip to Trondheim and back home Eddie made 13,8 mpg. That brings us to the end of the fuel line upgrade. Finally got a pair of Dorman Fuel Line connectors 800-597. This one fitted the 3/8" tank otlet and the 5/16" nylon fuel line.Fast light taps on a dime gets the connector on :).
Some small change came with the car. Because winter is coming Eddie only gets 98 octan fuel. This gasoline does not contain ethanol and is therefore better for 6 months storing. Its 20 % more expensive then 95 octan because it is never on sale/ campaign. I notice that Eddie runs a little fatter on the 98.At the end of September Eddie will be parked indoors for the winter.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful pic!  

Glad you got the fuel line sorted.  But I wouldn't have thought of using a dime to drive them on.  Apparently it spread the load nicely.  

As for the fuel, I like that plan.  But have you thought about adding something like Sta-Bil?  It helps stabilize the fuel, so I used it in boats when I put them up for the winter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
A good summer for Eddie. Ready for a well earned hibernation.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Autumn is here with not so great weather. But this Sunday was nice. So we took Eddie out for a spin.
We went for a car show where we could see the new Bronco. Model Outer Banks with 2,7L Eco-Boost engine. 10 gear Automatic.
Price in Norway 1500000.- kroners ( USD 150000.-) The level of taxes is unbelievable. In Norway 90 % of new car sales are electric cars. They are not taxed like this. Best selling new car brand in Norway is Tesla.
After this we visited Godøy. An island outside Ålesund. Can be pretty hard winds there  ?
Last here is a picture of the dash in a Scania truck, V8, 660 HP. Look at the RPMs at 50mph.
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yikes!  Those are extremely high taxes!  No wonder people are buying electric vehicles if they don't have the same taxes.  

As for the wind, as low as that is compared to sea level it is understandable that the wind would come right on through.  So you hid Eddie behind the bush?  

But something like 900 RPM on that truck at 50 MPH?  That is LOW!  Hard to believe it would have the power to pull at that speed.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi 🙂. Nothing much from me since September last year. But have checked out the forum during the winter. Always something interesting to read. And I look forward to taking Eddie out for many trips this summer.
Lately  the weather has turned warmer. So Eddie got out from his winter sleep. Have done some small stuff.
Cleaning wheels and polishing.  Checked the brakes. They looked good, the rear could be adjusted for more bite.  Also polished up the slots for the mounting pins at the front calipers to make them glide easier. Hope it will help redusing friction.. I noticed at the end of last season that Eddie had a tiny coolant leak at both sides of the timing cover. I was able to tighten up all the bolts ( timing cover, waterpump ). The leak was only whith cold engine. Had this at the right side only 1 month ago. The gasket I have used is  Fel-Pro. Does any of you have any experience with gaskets from Cometic ? Are they better ?
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Greetings, Stein!  Eddie is looking good!

I took the liberty of rotating your pic, not your tires.  But the wheels look good.  

My go-to for gaskets is Fel-Pro.  Don't know anything about Cometic, sorry.

1 ... 2223242526