507 messages Options
1 ... 20212223242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

Gsmblue
They look fab!!

The MTs are looking good, but only have about 500miles on them.

I am going to be rebuilding the front end when the weather improves and I will clean the wheels then.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
The last two weeks we have had very nice weather. Enough snow for the skiers and dry roads for the drivers. Gsmblue. Recommend waxing the MT`s after polishing. Makes the rims very easy to clean and they look even better. Eddie got home 2. of April and we have been on a few rides. But the roads are still dusty and a little dirty after the winter. Many people are still using winter tires with studs. I have checked the fan resistor after reading some horror stories about fires. Luckily it looked good.No debris in there. Before cleaning. During cleaning I suddenly thought I had brushed/ cleaned one connector off  Sure got happy when I relaised it should be like that.
Second thing was to find out why there was a tiny oil leak from the oil filter. It was the only oil leak on Eddie. After cleaning both sides of the rubber gasket on the filter and remounting it it stopped leaking. But lying under there I saw something else. The bolt heads holding the back plate on the water pump are to thick. They hit the timing cover and prevent a proper seal. So now its time for dismantling Pump is ITM 28953. Watch out for bolt heads my friends. Did not notice this when I put it in one year ago. The heads have to be grinded down. Or maybe I will go for a new pump in Alu. Got off all other parts this evening. Will take out the pump later when the new pump arrives. Would you recommend changing the gasket for the timing cover too ?
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a bummer!  Glad you caught it, Stein.

As for the timing cover gasket, if the timing cover moves then I'd pull it and replace the gasket.  But it might stay glued in place, and if so then I don't think you need to pull it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. I consider buying a new timing cover.
What are the peoples thoughts about aluminium parts versus cast iron ?
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the cost is similar I'd go cast iron.  There are at least two issues with aluminum, both associated with corrosion.

First, I've seen timing covers so eaten up by corrosion that they couldn't be reused.  However, the problem there was due to people not changing the coolant, and since you have an aluminum intake manifold (right?) you are going to have to change the coolant anyway.  And, you are diligent so would change the coolant even if you don't have an aluminum intake.

Second, the bolts are known to corrode to the timing cover such that you can't get them out.  But a good dose of anti-seize or PTFE as you install them should fix that.

But since those problems are easily solved, if aluminum is a lot less expensive then go with it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. I remember my old one of cast steel was  pretty corroded. There seems to be an overflow of aluminium models. I have not decided yet.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. We have had very nice weather for a long time now.Night temp. are on the plus side and up to 15`C ( 60`F) at daytime. But may get some snow tomorrow..
Started on replacing water pump and timing cover today. Have been collecting parts for a week or two. And this time I pulled the Balancer off the right wayNew timing cover and water pump are aluminium. The original timing cover is also aluminium.  There has been a leak there. The bolts around the ports were rusty and wet.Brushed and cleaned them good and applied a coating of Loctite Aluminium Anti-Seize before reinstalling. This time I worked on a thin layer of The Right Stuff on both sides of all gaskets ( Fel-Pro). Also the gasket inside the new waterpump. Brand GMB-125-123Alu. For the low price they leave the final finishing to the buyer. Filed down sharp edges from the casting. Don`t want leaking hoses.And I wonder if the pipe to the right is supposed to be like that ? Here is the timing cover with seal from Fel-Pro installed, the other one came with the timing cover, unbranded. On the left side there is a hole for the dipstick which I threaded for a 10mm bolt to plug it.  When finished it looked like this. Good clearance for the bolts.  Planned on finishing everything tomorrow. But I found this. Its a Delphi fuel pump. 10000 miles, 3 years old. I have blamed the oil filter for leaking oil but now I may have found the real sinner. Or they both had it going at the same time  I know many of you readers have changed to electric fuel pumps. Is it more reliable ? And does someone know which fuel filter will fit the connectors on the nylon fuel line on my Bronco ? One thing I have noticed  is that the life span and/ or quality of the parts I buy are wery often lower than expected. And I may be some of the cause myself most often looking for lower prices. I would pay more if I knew the product was better. But much of what I see for sale are identical products under different brands and pricing. Whats certain is that bad parts results in a unreliable car and more repairs. In Norway we have finally got gas with 10% ethanol . The 5% is no more available. But we can buy 98 octan with no ethanol. Which is much more expensive and many places not available. Whats your experience with Bullnoses and E10 ? Hope to get Eddie running during next week. There is a amcar meeting coming up nearby
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are doing very well.    And you are wise to clean up the castings before installation.  But that hose fitting does look dodgy.  Can you round the lip on it?

And liberal applications of aluminum anti-seize is highly recommended for the bolts.  That should both prevent them from rusting as well as seizing in the cover or block.

As for the fuel pump, that appears to be oil and I'm surprised that the pump is leaking oil there.  I've always assumed that the hole was in case the diaphragm leaked fuel.  But didn't expect oil to come out there.  So yes, I'd replace it but I'd stay with a mechanical fuel pump.  Going electric isn't easy and I've not seen many mechanical pumps fail.

On the fuel filter, are you replacing an original?  Adding one?  If so, where?  I have a fuel filter on Big Blue under the driver on the frame rail but there are the connectors in the Nylon lines for the filter there.

And E10 is OK if you don't let it sit around.  The old rubber fuel lines weren't designed for it but the Nylon lines don't care.  However, if it sits a long time it tends to go bad more quickly than pure gas.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. I can round the edges. But as you can see halv a edge is missing. The fuel pump is actually only a little more than 2 years old. For the fuel filter I thought it would be nice to just click a filter on the nylon fuel line. The same way the fuel line is clicked on the gas tank. Sounds like you have a arangement like that. Do you have a model/ name for it ? The nylon lines are 5/16".
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My understanding is that the lip is just to keep the hose from sliding off, so half of a lip should do it.

On the fuel filter, you'll have to cut into your line and install the fittings.  This is the filter for a '96 F-Series truck and it is what I have on Big Blue.  These fittings adapt 5/16" steel to 3/8" Nylon line, but if your line is truly 5/16" then you'll need to find those fittings.  I used 3/8" line for both the supply and the return although the factory used 3/8" supply and 5/16" return on the EFI trucks.  But as yours has a carb it might well have been 5/16".

There's a very recent post on here where a guy put a filter on, so you should read it.

To put the Nylon line on the fittings there's a tool called Dorman 800-301, but someone on here made a tool using a board in a vise recently and it worked fine.  But I can't find the post - yet.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's the post.  Same thread.  Just scroll down to the bottom of the post to find out how he did it, inc a pic.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Thanks for the help. Have followed chirkware's Larry the Lariat. He has got some challenges🙂. He made me check Eddie's fan resistor awhile ago.
Will go for new fuel pump for now. Will probably buy 2. And there is more stuff to do before I get the pumps.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
This evening I took the fuel pump a part.
The pump functioned ok (coolant) Checked for coolant inside the top of the pump. Found none. So I split the pump in two. The oil must have passed the top plate and seal or passed through the plastic around the pump axle.<nable_img src="IMG_20230424_201407_0.jpg" border="0"/> Could not find anything wrong with the pumps membran. It is not put straight together either. I believe the weep hole is there to warn you about gas passing a defunct membran. The mechanismen failing before the membran should not happen. I have ordered a Spectra Premium pump. Hope they are better. Made in Canada.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting detective work, Stein.  And I'll bet you are right about the weep hole's purpose.

Hopefully the new pump will last a loooooooong time.

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
I think the weep hole also lets air in and out of the pumps housing. When the pump sucks gas the air goes out because of less space between membran and top. Air goes in when pumping, because of more space. And as you mean. If the membran goes bad gas will come out the weep hole instead of maybe entering inside the engine. Would be bad for the oil. Dont know if you could even risk an explosion caused by the gas fumes.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know if it had a weep hole, but I well remember being in the middle of nowhere and a friend discovering that his oil was waaaaay too high.  He'd parked his '60 Ford nose down on a hill and the fuel pump had failed.  It was a long day to take my '58 Chevy into town to get oil, filter, and pump and then go back to nowhere to install them.

So fuel can easily go into the oil.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Colder than in your fridge here. Spent two evenings in my carport and got in a new fuel pump and everything else.  Cold work. Eddie started easily and I can`t see no leaks. So I am happy  Tomorrow there will be nicer weather. Maybe I will take Eddie out for a spin.
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Yep, working with mittens isn't ideal.  I go there too often.

We have a pretty "fresh" spring here too.  -6°C this morning (22°F), but hopefully we have warm days since 2 weeks, so snow is almost gone (only north faces of hills still white).

Does Eddie have mechanical or electrical pump?  Happy to see that the job is a success!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by firefire
PCV is constantly sucking fumes into the intake to be burned, but gasoline is not a good lubricant.
If you're lucky you will smell it or find the oil level high and thin before the engine is seized or completely worn out.

Mechanical fuel pumps do have their drawbacks beyond not priming the carb without turning the engine.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Hi Jeff.
Then we have  much the same weather.
Today, Friday evening. we have nice weather and dry roads. So I took Eddie out for an hour drive. Tomorrow will be rain/ sleet. Max temp. + 4'C. The pump is mechanical. Its a AcDelco. I ordered a 2 Spectra Premium SP1005MP from a norwegian supplier. I understand they are made in Canada. Would prefer to buy canadian over chinese. Hoped for better quality too. So I was a little surprised when I found 2 pumps from AcDelco in the package. The seller apologised for it not being a SP but he meant it really did not matter since all pumps being chinese and of same quality. I suggested they should look over their website so people got what they ordered and not a look a like..  The pump looks really rough on the outside but I hope it is properly made inside so I will have no problems. It works just fine and without any ticking or noice.
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
1 ... 20212223242526