Arizona
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by firefire
It is amazing how much difference that makes in the exhaust sound.  Glad the drone went away, those can be obnoxious.  

On the pipe, I like to use a PTFE goo, but I have used Teflon tape.  However, I make sure to keep it two turns back of the end so it can't get into the oiling system.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. A new little report. After I had put back the pipe and the oil pressure sensor I still had a oil leak manifesting it self as oil outside the oil filter and on the side of the oil pan. Then I found the real source of the leak was at the front of steering pump. So found out I had to fix this 5 days before going on vacation. I had a rebuild set for the pump already. First I tried to pull the pulley like this.Not a great idea. The puller started tearing the edge off the pulley where it grips the pulley. Monday morning I ordered a puller for these pulleys. I got it on wednesday morning. The puller worked ok and I got the pulley off. Heres how I pressed the cover on the pump down to get the locking ring out.Here is the partsAnd dont let the pump slip out off your hands I did and one of the 10 small springs vanished. I managed luckily to find all 10 small plates on the floor. Found a spring in a box that looked and felt good enough after trimming to a fitting lenght. So reassembled the pump with new seals and o-rings. Put the pump back in , started up and listened for the big crash.. But it works flawlessly. So Thursday thos week we left this weatherIts been chilly and raining for almost 4 weeks. Went to Notodden in Telemark for this Its a 11 hour ride. Yesterday we listen to Shemekia Copeland She has been on my radio at home many times under my work on Eddie.We are still at Notodden Blues Festival. Were we are going later is unclear. Riding after the sun.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Stein!!!!

Yes, getting the pulley off and a power steering pump apart is a challenge.  But you obviously got it done, just in time.

But that is quite a drive.  I looked it up on the map and on Google.  Apparently that blues festival is the best in Europe.  WOW!

And that stave church in the town is really amazing.  Beautiful scenery!  Have fun, and stay safe.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Here is Eddie visiting Stavkirka i Heddal. Buildt by the vikings around year 1200.Here is a church in Dovre. Buildt in 1736. Later covered with plates of skifer, stone.  Yesterday we crossed a lake in Telemark with Norways smallest ferry Eddie runs like a champ. 15mpg is good I think. We are around Skien south in Norway. Warm and sunny. 
The oil pressure gauge is at the top of Normal at cruising. What do you think about that ?
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful pictures!  And that stave church building is amazing.  WOW!

But the one covered in stone is awesome as well.  Man, that had to add a whole bunch to the weight.

You are having a great time.  And 15 MPG is really good.  Glad Eddie is running so well.  Keep on truckin'!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Great read and pics as always!

Quick question regarding your mpg.

A US Gallon is 4 Liters.
A European Gallon is 4.54 Liters

Which are you using?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. Its american gallons. In the european way it is 1,55 liters/ 10 km.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Nice trip, thanks for the pictures!

About the church slate siding, first time I see it installed on walls.  Usually we find these as roof covering.  Interesting.

I am curious how they were able to cut so wide stone plates, they necessarily have to be thin.

I agree with Gary that the walls structure behind has to be strong!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. As I can remember it the plates looked about 15 mm thick. They are split off of big rocks. The edges also seems to be finished with hammer and chisel.  You may search for " ottaskifer " on Google. Hammer, chisel and man/ woman is still the key elements in producing skifer plates.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Eddie is still running with out problems. We are now in Kil, Sweden. Ferry from Sandefjord, Norway to Strømstad, Sweden.Que in SandefjordThe main roads in Sweden are much better then the roads in Norway. But you must hit the more local roads to find the nice places.Here is nice gas station. Our  cabin for the knight At this place you can rent a place for a car, tent, rv. Here is also lots of families stationery trailers. Sun is still shining. Internett connection is really bab here in the woods.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks like fun! Great pictures!

I really like the gas station!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Great pics!  And I like the little station also.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
This post was updated on .
Hi. Now we are back home. The last run was 367 miles. From Kil, Sweden to Skodje, Norway. Eddie consumed 97 liters of gas.
About 15 mpg. Max speed 50-55 mph. Tire pressure 42 psi. Orange spring for the metering rods. Goodbye to the Swedish lakes.  Swedish amcarA hunting post for elg, moose. From the west of Sweden and into the east of Norway the terrain is much the same. Norway Norwegian amcarAt home it had still been raining some  Now Eddie needs a good wash before his next adventures.
Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful pics!  

Congratulations on a successful trip.  How far did you drive?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi.
Looking at my notes its 1380 miles.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a loooong trip.  Glad Eddie is running so well and the trip was uneventful.  Good job preparing.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
firefire wrote
Sun is still shining.
Stein, nice trip, thanks again for the pictures!

Just for fun, at this time of the year, is there a complete sunset followed by a complete "black" night, or jut a kind of twilight?
Or maybe no sunset at all?

Last month, we had a family trip at James Bay (north extremity, at its junction with Hudson Bay).
Two pictures below, one at sunset (midnight), the other just before 03:00 AM.  I figure that the full black night is no longer than about one hour.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Now past the middle of August we have a few hours dark night. Sunset is 21.30 and sunrise 05.40. Between 00.00 and 04.00 its dark. One month ago there was no part of the night that was really dark. This picture was taken 21.31. The deers were photographed 22.05. Hunting season starts 1. of September. In the forest I usually have to quit hunting around 21.30 because of the fading light. In the morning you will usually be able to visualise the deers around 05.30. But that is of course at the beginning of the hunting season. Before Christmas we have 5 or 6 hours of day light.
Eddie got a new Power Steering Pump. The tool I used to change over the pulley worked ok. If I ever find the lost spring from the old pump I will fix it and keep the old pump as a spare or sell it. Started out today trying to figure out how to avoid the dome light turning on when opening the doors. Understood soon enough that is not a simple procedure. Any suggestions ? Since the map lights doesnt work I took down the dome light. The two contacts for the dome light and the map light were broken / almost broken. And no power in the green/ yellow wire for the map lights. And dont remove all these panels looking for the wire. The wire is not accesible behind the panels any way. The wire was corroded off down at the floor under the seat belt. I pulled the wire out with a rope connected to its end. Then it will be possible to pull the wire back up to the dome light after repairing the connection. The problem is finding a new "she pin" for the connector down at the floor and new connectors for the dome light. Any suggestions where I might get these ?  
Greetings Stein.
Stein.
1 ... 16171819202122 ... 26