507 messages Options
1 ... 15161718192021 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fixing Eddie

firefire
Hi.
Today we went for a ride to Stryn. Its a 2 hour drive. The choke worked properly and the afr was back at 14,5 average cruising. Here Eddie attended a show including trucks and cars. This picture shows Eddie beside a Lada.There was many nice american cars to see. Eddie was the only Bullseye I saw Greetings Stein
Stein.
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 5,8L, 3 speed Autom.Tr
1996 F350 , 7,3L Powerstroke, 4wd, 5 speed Man. Tr.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nice show.
That little rad car looks like a Fiat 128 that was sold here in the states way back when LOL

In the 2nd picture that red & black convert Ford looks like a late 50's.
Was it a hard top convert? We have a club member with a 58 that is a hard top convert and if he dose not bring his Ford pickup (gm power) he brings the car.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi Dave.
You are on the trac. The Lada is a USSR made copy of the Fiat . And the red Ford has a hard top. I talked with the owner. He had bought it from Chicago several years ago.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
The club member said his top did not work when he got the car and had a vary hard time finding any information on the top. He did say there are 16 motors and twice as many sensors for wwhen all the way up or down.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by firefire
That looks like a really neat show!  And, it also looks like you got the AFR dialed in.

In the first pic I think I see a 51 Buick, and the 3 Customline Ventiports would indicate a Special.  Then a Pontiac, possibly a '67.  Then a 56 Olds, then Eddie and the Lada.

In the 2nd one there's the Beemer, a '57 Chevy, a '57 Ford that the lady is leaning on, and then a Volvo behind the Chevy?

I think Eddie wins the prize!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
The 57 Chevy is a 58 I think. Look at the number plate. V8 1958. You can order them like that .And you are right about the Volvo.
It is still nice weather here. But a little cold.
Went to visit a friend. But he was not home.  When I took this picture Eddie idled. And when I got into the car to drive home the power steering was gone Stopped further down at my friends neighbour. Opened the hood and found that the high pressure hose had loosened from the steering pump.  Borrowed a wrench and tightened the connection. Filled up with some unknown steering oil, green, that he had.  But still leaking. So drove home without power steering, 4 km. At home I found this  Maybe I cut the O-ring when tightening the nut. Found a fitting O-ring at home so now its not leaking more. Tomorrow I will flush the system and clean up all the oil mess. The sun is still shining so its beer time
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I'm sorry but that is a 1957 Chevy.  There's no mistaking a '57 from a '58.  I've included a pic of a '58 Impala, which is what I drove to college.  However, mine never had the ugly mirrors on the fenders and I removed the "fins" above the headlights when I did the body work.  Nor did mine have the fender skirts.  In the immortal words of the Beatles, it was a clean machine.

As for your power steering problems, I think you found the culprit.  That would certainly do it.  But I'll bet that made a huge mess!

And, Stein is going to have a stein?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi. The -57 is a - 57.How I could read 1958 on rhe plate I cannot explain. Late in the evening + one beer ?
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Add in the power steering problem and it makes sense.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
 I have now settled for now with the green 6hg springs for the metering rods in the carburetor. With them Eddie responds quicker and with more power when given throttle. I try to avoid WOT to often... My welding job on the choke blad was not as good as it looked. Yesterday I noticed the afr read 13,7 when cruising. My welding had loosened. The missing 1/2" of opening the choke affects the afr/ fuel consumption. So seeked help from a professional welder. Took him one minute to do it right. This time it will be good. Have removef the Earl fuel pressure gauge. It shows 6 psi when starting up. But after it gets hot under the hood it reads 3 psi. Took it away. Its just another accesory that may bring me problems.
 It is 8 in the evening, temp. 8'C, and the sun is shining. Think I will go for a test drive.
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Good progress.

I was reading that the fluid filled gauges can get hot and give inaccurate readings. For this reason I have sourced a gauge that does not have fluid in it. I hope to get it installed at the weekend.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
This post was updated on .
Hi.
And I thought the fluid filled gauges were the better 🙄. Probably because " fluid filled " sounded more sophisticated... Good luck with your install. Just read you had problems with Espys ignition. Hope you sort it out .
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have never heard of the liquid gauges, fuel or other wise, be off in their readings

The reason for liquid gauges is it steads the needle.
On my drag car I run a liquid filled fuel psi gauge out on the cowl so when going down the track I can read it and not take my eyes off the track for too long.

My bulk cement trailers have liquid gauges for the tank & line psi.
Even with liquid the line psi still jumps a lot so I could just think how it would be with out liquid
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi Dave.
I suspect its the heat under the hood thats the problem. It cost $ 39.00. Not very expensive . But a little disapointing performance.I really does not need it on a daily basis.  It showed me that my fuel pump delivered normal pressure. Thats what I wanted to check.
I am sure your gauges are of a  better build quality. And you need them to work.
Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I think you are correct. The gauge is important for set up.

Still waiting on some parts here....

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
This post was updated on .
Hi. Because Eddie's temperatur gauge have always been reading low I decided to put in a new thermostat.  The one in use was a Mr. Gasket 180'F, high flow model. It came with the new Weiand intake manifold. Taking out the thermostat is pretty easy. Had to make a new gasket though. But how to get get the holes correctly placed ?
Marking the gasket  Then hold the gasket in place and trace the edges of bolt holes and such with a hard object. You will create a nice line for cutting.<nabble_imgsrc="IMG_20220619_120531_9.jpg" border="0"/>   Put sealer on both sides of the gasket The new thermostat is Stant 192'F. With this the gauge reads right in the middle of NORMAL with warm engine. When Eddie works hard the needle will approach L and then cool down. For sunday trip we went to Aursjøen. Its a huge water dam made in the 1960's. For making electrisity to melt aluminium in Sunndalsøra. Its a gravel road about 10' wide and 45 miles long.Altitude 3000 feet. Almost like Colorado. Some pictures   
Thanks to Gary for the Bullnose emblem. You can see it in one of  the pictures.

Greetings Stein
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
That view is to die for.

I am running a 180F thermostat and I am going to change it as the needle on the gauge is always low. I think at this point I will do it in the fall as it is going to be a warm summer.

Looks like Eddie is ready for some summer trips :)

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Yes. We plan to go for a trip in August. Have to fix my post a little. Pictures did not come in right order. Cell phone
Stein.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by firefire
That picture of the valley is stunning!

As for the thermostat, I'm glad you got rid of the Mr Gasket one.  I do NOT like Mr Gasket anything, and consider it junk.  The Stant is a much, much better choice.  

Reply | Threaded
|

firefire
Hi.
Vacation is only one week away. Eddie runs good. Time for a oil change. Replaced the tie rod end adjusting sleeves. The old on the right side was some way uncentered / bent.A new one I am using a special measuring tape which can measure inside and out like a caliper.Then its easier to get things back in correct position.
Had a little oil leak from around the oil filter. Finally found out it was from the pipe that holds the oil pressure sensor. I also found some gasket sealer inside the pipe Found gasket sealer on the threads on both sensor and tube. Would you recommend tape as a thread sealer or some fluid ?
Next up was a insert I had made for the exhaust tip. Based roughly on a silencer.The exhaust did not get silenced but the frequency changed. And the drone I had at about 50 mph vanished.<http://youtu.be/xPByZisw5Qg> And a test after welded in.<http://youtu.be/LnpHo7-g2Q4> Hope to get everything fixed up in the weekend. Summer has not been so good the last 3 weeks. My Italian friends think it is already atumn  Greetings Stein.
Oh. Two horses. I think the old one looks better.
Stein.
1 ... 15161718192021 ... 26