512 messages Options
1 ... 12131415161718 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diary of a Restore (Thread)

AmericanSavage
Morning update:  I am [insert expletive here]

Got the numbers off the hub.  Used a mirror and paper and pencil for transfer—after writing the numbers backward, and looking in a mirror again, there’s no match to ebay guy.

Mine are, near as I can tell, 08320.  His were/are:   14403 or 14408  Not even close.  No other numbers are on the hub.

So Survey says?  No match.  Back to square 1.  A punch and Loctite 620 are in my future I suspect because no way I am paying 500 + shipping for the one found. UGH.  
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome back, Kotter.  

Good luck with the work.  Hope it turns out well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gary Lewis wrote
Welcome back, Kotter.  

Good luck with the work.  Hope it turns out well.  
Nice try!

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Holy cow! My head hurts!

I didn’t remember that until I watched the intro on that video.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by AmericanSavage
Oops!  But I knew it was a series.  Just got the wrong one.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
OK sorry for all my posts—Feeling defeated and resigning myself to the temp fix, I looked over the MPC, which arrived only this week.

Thanks to Gary’s instructions on how to actually use one, I finally learned how to use one.  This landed me after doing all the deciphering, in section 11.2 of the MPC.  In that, the only way to cross ref the rear I have is to find the axle capacity.  

So, the F250 and 350 did have the Dana 61-1, from 80-2/83.

The part list is 6.  There I FINALLY got the original part number—they only sold it as a set/assembly—hub and drum—apparently, but they also sold just the drum under a different part #.

D8tz 1113-C was the original part listing.  (that’s 78 yes?)

I started to search for that part # exactly in Ecosia, Duck, Google.  1 of those turned up an ebayer selling under that part #.

In that pic at his ebay page, I could tell btw, that the casting was indeed 14403.  Since the location was clear in one of his pics, I went back to my truck and looked in the same spot—sure enough I missed it because it was on the bottom and full of gunk I thought I got cleaned.  Casting number on my hub is 14403.

Came back and looked at the listing closer, he was selling it for $100 and it is NEW OLD STOCK.  Hub only.  Last one.  I nabbed it.  $18 to ship.

If anyone wants the number of the guy who has them for 222, let me know.  He has SEVEN of them, but they are pulled, tanked, and repainted—condition is guaranteed tho.  I could post his info and the part # (and his ebay page) Gary if it is ok with you in a post to help folks out.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's great news!

Yes, D8TZ-1113-C is a part designed for the 1978 model year.
So it must be the same part prior to 1980, but I can't say if the hub is the same on a SRW D60.
I only know that the -61 has thicker axle tubes.

You now have the book so perhaps you know?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
ArdWrknTrk wrote
That's great news!

Yes, D8TZ-1113-C is a part designed for the 1978 model year.
So it must be the same part prior to 1980, but I can't say if the hub is the same on a SRW D60.
I only know that the -61 has thicker axle tubes.

You now have the book so perhaps you know?

I will look likely in the morn...stuck away from the book for the night.  Mine is an SRW...do you mean DRW?  Or do you mean the exact D60 not the D61?

Cheers!
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Hub arrived today.  I will have to paint, though I do not have the powder coat skills of Gary.

I will be spotty on the posting, as my Harley dropped the clutch and left me stranded for the first time ever.  I pushed it for 2 miles, until I got a trailer.  But hub will go on tomorrow I hope.  Everything seems to match up on it in terms of numbers.

Again, if you want, I can post the other guy who has SEVEN of them.  I also found some hub/drum assemblies for 199—new old stock.

p.s. pardon the cigar.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hub looks great.  And you can post a link to that guy if you want as it might help someone else.

As for pushing a Harley, that sounds like WORK!

Good luck on the installation.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That cigar looks like it needs some puffing!

What brand is it?
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
This post was updated on .
grumpin wrote
That cigar looks like it needs some puffing!

What brand is it?
Casa de Garcia.  Nicaragua tobac—but mild.

As usual of late, it is either cold or raining.  Today it is 37—so I will be getting to the truck today I hope and bet the old hub removed.  Not that I want to take out the axle and drum, but it has to be done.

Harley is taking my time for the rest of the weekend after that.  BAD:  my entire clutch moved off the shaft in the primary.  If interested in such things—here’s my short video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/8np8F7UmUng?feature=share

When it rains, it pours.

I will get to posting what I found on ebay today.  I truly hope it helps—I spent a lot of time looking around.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I’ll have to try one someday (warm day!).

Bummer about your bike.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Got the new hub on today.  I know, I know, I painted the drums an odd color (burgandy—matches the interior) but it was all I had around and I have no powder gun.  I just wanted to clean them up.  They cannot be seen really though, so, I went with it.

Anyway, note the OLD hub.  As you can see, someone already tried to use a punch to seat the race.  It is also badly scored.  New hub came with races, and I installed new bearings.  The old race popped out with three taps…it was that loose.

Also, I put the spindle nut and key lock on it.  It was so much easier to get the torque requirement.  Much easier to use a full socket.  Will have to see if it works like as well as the other.  

Finally, you will note the  old studs look to have been (attempted) to be welded in!  What in the world….

The welds did not hold—that all came out with two taps.  They must have had problem before, and welded over rust…none of them held at all.

Have a nice weekend—I am in Harley world for a while now.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Any chance your truck has been in Florida?  I think it's last mechanic was

Anyway, it is a good thing you got the new hub.  That one has seen better days.

Hope you get the Harley sorted.

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gary Lewis wrote
Any chance your truck has been in Florida?  I think it's last mechanic was

Anyway, it is a good thing you got the new hub.  That one has seen better days.

Hope you get the Harley sorted.
I was reading something—maybe the big blue thread--and you were talking about Fl mechanics.  

As far as I can tell I am the 3rd owner.  TN was origination, then here, then me.  But I swear, there was someone FROM Fl messing with this.  They did not use enough punch divets in the race, and definitely no loctite.  

Posting the hub post in a bit.  

Harley is going to be tough—the compensator bolt is a bear—torque is 140.  BEAR to get off, and cannot use impact.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If the studs were that loose in the hub it's definitely for the best that you were able to find a new one!  😳
Bonus that it came with races already installed.

... When I've replaced front hub & rotor assemblies they do have races.
Probably because someone doing brakes isn't going to get out the torch and heat them for ten minutes then wait an hour or more for the hub to cool.

Good luck with your Harley clutch!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
ArdWrknTrk wrote
If the studs were that loose in the hub it's definitely for the best that you were able to find a new one!  😳
Bonus that it came with races already installed.

... When I've replaced front hub & rotor assemblies they do have races.
Probably because someone doing brakes isn't going to get out the torch and heat them for ten minutes then wait an hour or more for the hub to cool.

Good luck with your Harley clutch!  

Thanks!  

For anyone that cares, my hub woes continue, but now on the Harley—I lost the hub and the trans mainshaft—see pics.  It is going to be a while before I get back to the Truck and pull the front shafts to replace the u joints.  UGH!  Note the hub scoring and the mainshaft bluing.

The Harley fix is NOT going to be cheap, and I have to learn how to pull the shafts/gears from that tranny.  

Fun times.  

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Update:  

Yes, I am still here, and no the bike is not fixed yet—tore down a bit of it though.  I have been assembling all the parts needed, and then I bought a new toy after pricing out some of the pressing I will need to do.  Same as just buying a floor press. So, I did that!  Put 5” casters on it.  Will be useful for my truck too, so I decided, hell with it…gonna get it.

Yes, I have a lot of books, and yes my books and shelves are in the garage.  One day, I aspire to move them into a bigger house, and buy a lift like I think Gary has!

Hope everyone is well!  

Oh, I had another Home depot classic auto encounter—will post—not a Ford though, but something quite rarely seen.

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Garage looks great, and the casters are a wonderful idea for a press.

1 ... 12131415161718 ... 26