509 messages Options
1 ... 23242526
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Diary of a Restore (Thread)

AmericanSavage
Just a small update on the HiPo:

They are definitely brighter, and I love them, but they do pulse…ALOT at idle.  Overall, if you want to see your gauges at night?  Go HiPo, but if you hate the pulse, not the best choice.
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Small Update:

I have been recovering from a shoulder injury that I gave myself at a local Pick thanks to a impact wrench that wrenched my arm more than the bolt.  

Also, installed a 220 line for more robust welding experience (in garage).

But I finally got to the dual oil pressure fix.  My original platic oil line was leaking, and I hope that is the cause of the slow leak off the bell housing.  Anyway, here is how I did it.  No leaks!  All gauges work!

1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer about the shoulder.  Hope it is well now.  

On the oil pressure line, glad you found the leak.  But do you have a loop in the line so it can flex as the engine rocks?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote

On the oil pressure line, glad you found the leak.  But do you have a loop in the line so it can flex as the engine rocks?
X2
But I hope you DID NOT USE plastic line for the oil
Over time the plastic dries out and will break spraying oil all over and hope it dose not catch fire.
They sell a copper line just for this and that is the way to go with a few loops.

Oh yse had a dune buggy that had plastic line.
No fire but the mess was not pretty!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
FuzzFace2 wrote
Gary Lewis wrote

X2
But I hope you DID NOT USE plastic line for the oil
Over time the plastic dries out and will break spraying oil all over and hope it dose not catch fire.
They sell a copper line just for this and that is the way to go with a few loops.

Oh yse had a dune buggy that had plastic line.
No fire but the mess was not pretty!
Dave ----

Hey Dave,

I was going to go with a braided line, which I still have.  But I did not have the fittings for the back of the sunpro.  I need to see if I should either replace the sunpro, or try to find a fitting that will work for the braided.  

I would rather braid the line TBH.  So, all I had was a plastic line as a backup, which I used.  It has no loop, but enough slack (I prolly should have put in a loop, but I see this as a temporary fix).

The old one leaked at the oil pressure hole because whoever cut that line, cut the plastic line at an angle!  My cut was straight.

I will say, I do like the copper tube idea, and if all else fails, will put that in unless i find a gauge that will accept the braided hose.

Thank Gary and the shoulder is feeling better.  Been 2 months or so.  I could not bench the bare 40 lb bar after this happened.  Only last week was I able to finally get back in the weight room.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you are recovering so well.

On the plastic line, I ran it for quite a while, but it has its limitations.  So changing to copper or braided line later is a good idea.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
Gary Lewis wrote
Glad you are recovering so well.

On the plastic line, I ran it for quite a while, but it has its limitations.  So changing to copper or braided line later is a good idea.
I am on it this week…the issue is the back of the sunpro fitting is a ferulle fitting, and that cannot be screwed out, so I need a coupler to screw onto that small opening and go to the braised line—the tapered ¼ inch or whatever it is.  HARD TO FIND for me at this point.  I can post pic if that makes more sense for you all to see what I mean.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Sorry for getting back late

Have you checked with Summit or Jeggs for a non-plastic oil gauge install kit?
I want to say Auto Meter made a kit that had copper line the same size as the plastic that I used in my drag car years ago.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
FuzzFace2 wrote
Sorry for getting back late

Have you checked with Summit or Jeggs for a non-plastic oil gauge install kit?
I want to say Auto Meter made a kit that had copper line the same size as the plastic that I used in my drag car years ago.
Dave ----
Summit definitely has the copper line kit for cheap.  It would bolt right in both ends.  

I still have not found an adapter for the gauge end of the line for the braided conversion, so that may well be the route I go.
1980 Ford XLT F350
Under Restore (1st time)
1 ... 23242526