141 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Hook 'em Up Loose" - 1986 F-150 Restoration/build

Danny G
FuzzFace2 wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
Wow!  That is REALLY well done!  Don't think I'd have thought of using a soldering pen to cut out holes, but that certainly is a good way to go.  Thanks for the tip.

I'm jealous of all the progress you are making, but I'm learning while you do it, so I'll ride along vicariously and read.  
I heard of using a red hot nail to poke holes thru the carpet for the seat belt & seat bolts so it does not pull the rug apart.
I will have to buy a cheap iron that I can put a knife on to cut out a bigger area when needed.
Dave ----

I used a runt of the mill iron I got in a wood burning kit. It had a needle tip that worked pretty good but any standard tip really would be fine.

For the spots where the threshold screws went I just plunged it in and made a perfect circle. I had a wet wipes to clean it off because it stinks alot.

Dave, for the bezel it's on upside down. I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep and decided to go finish up. I wasn't thinking when I put it on. The wide flange should be under the carpet. I have to pull off the kick plate and threshold and change it later. But it should look like this:

The most labor has gone into cleaning and prepping for paint, and paint. Everything else is going together fairly easily less the dash. That was a white knuckle pita because I was afraid of ruining a $4-500? dash pad. I'm going to put the old bench back in for now. I need to bust out my leather kit and make the seat belt guards next. Maybe his the twist in one.

Speaking of leather. It may be weird but I want to put sound deadening on that back wall. Maybe I will then cover the whole back wall with a leather liner kinda like the newer trucks had carpet. I could mold it to also cover the b pillar voids. Just a random thought I had. Still going to make the behind the seat box.

Have some Cordova bucket seats I was consider, but am eyeballing those new LMC seats. I like the brown but I don't think it will work with the colors currently in the truck, so if I go that route I'll probably go black.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Danny G
Trucks on hold till I finish this built in over the washer and dryer for the wife lol. Removable back shelf covers the utility connections. We have front loaders underneath.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Got to keep the wife happy if it take building a shelf then be it.

Thanks on the bushing for the dimmer I never looked that close I guess to see them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You do good work!  That's really nice looking.  I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
All this recent talk of paint colors on the boards got me rethinking my approach.  My grandpa had 1966 Mustang in Midnight blue. Dad had an 86 Eddie Bauer Bronco in Midnight Blue Metallic/Dk. Shadow Blue Metallic (seems they are the same color?). My plan until now was white or white/black combo. Kinda dull, kinda washed out. Boy do I love that blue though, but it doesn't really pop so internet searches persued and I think I know where I want to go. In the pictures below you will see blue and white two tone paint. BUT on a couple of them you will see that this also included the white roof cab and back. I think this is it... im really liking this color combo and style...  I know this is a 79' but it shows what im talking about color wise, the latter two with the white roof.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
So you're thinking the Combination Tu-tone?

I really like the 86 Dark Shadow Blue Metallic with white. Good looking color.

Another example of the color but in the Victorian scheme (have looked at this truck way too much):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ford-f-250/

You're keeping the tan/black interior, right?

Is the 79 a true blue? It kind of reminds me of the Nightmist blue on my 65 Mustang. Can be blue or green depending on the light.

Might be worth taking a piece of your tan trim to some truck shows and put it next to a color you like to get a feel for it since sitting in the drivers seat you'll be seeing them next to each other a lot. I took one of my a pillar trims to a lot of dealerships when trying to find my color.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like having the accent color, which is white in your plans, on the roof.  But I have to stop and look to remind myself what that's called - Combination Tu-Tone, just as Scott said.  Looks good to me.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote

Another example of the color but in the Victorian scheme (have looked at this truck way too much):

Is the 79 a true blue? It kind of reminds me of the Nightmist blue on my 65 Mustang. Can be blue or green depending on the light.

Might be worth taking a piece of your tan trim to some truck shows and put it next to a color you like to get a feel for it since sitting in the drivers seat you'll be seeing them next to each other a lot. I took one of my a pillar trims to a lot of dealerships when trying to find my color.
I do love that first one. I'm thinking that is Dark Shadow Blue Metallic but I would love to find out what it truly is. If it's night mist then that's where I'm going. What a combination of color.

Yes the interior is still black and saddle. The Eddie Bauer Bronco's in 86 were blue and tan two tone with all tan interior and burl wood bezels. I may keep the interior the two tone set up or change out the bezels and horn pad for wood grain/burl inserts. Chrome definitely becomes necessary accents inside for me with a paint scheme like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I like having the accent color, which is white in your plans, on the roof.  But I have to stop and look to remind myself what that's called - Combination Tu-Tone, just as Scott said.  Looks good to me.  

I knew I saw this somewhere... yea the combination tu tone is a nice touch. White bpillars and roof, blue a pillars, hood looks good.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't forget, we have a whole thread about the different types of wood applique, and a willing vendor to get them done right.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
need to find me a set of those upper and lower moldings. Been perusing Ebay for a full set. Emailed a junker there. If I can get a full set of lower trim for $350-500 id be happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Don't forget, we have a whole thread about the different types of wood applique, and a willing vendor to get them done right.
ill have to look for it, been looking at some veneer today.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Here's the thread.

It morphs, or goes tangential.
SOP for Gary, and his forum.  ðŸ¤£

Perry really stepped up to the plate, trying to help us Bullnose owners.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Here's the thread.

Our forum, Jim.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator

Yes, "Our" forum... with your name on it!  . 😈

But I will be the first to admit my autistic brain makes strange and convoluted associations.

Going down one rabbit hole.
And popping up another.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Yes, "Our" forum... with your name on it!  . 😈

But I will be the first to admit my autistic brain makes strange and convoluted associations.

Going down one rabbit hole.
And popping up another.
Maybe it is time to invoke the new Bullnose Bible URL?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do what you like.
It'll always be Gary's Garagemahal to me.

Maybe 1st January?
Nothing like starting the New Year with a new leaf.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This post was updated on .
kramttocs wrote

You know I really like the tone of that first blue on that 79. It does look alot like it could be Nightmist Blue... its not quite Dk shadow blue and not quite Nightmist. TBH thought Nightmist, Midnight, and Dark Shadow are all just evolutions of each other. If you look at Midnight and Dark Shadow chips they are hard to tell apart. I have found some touch up chips that list the chip as "Dk Shadow Blue Metallic/Midnight Blue Metallic". I know the tan works with the white (currently in the truck) and also works with Dark Shadow blue as that was the Eddie Bauer scheme in 86.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Here's the thread.

Perry really stepped up to the plate, trying to help us Bullnose owners.
Looks like he went quiet for a bit. I completely forgot about the aluminum trim.

My wife does custom vinyl. I'm going to have her order some 3m aluminum vinyl and see how it looks, doesn't have very good reviews though. Maybe her supplier has something better.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I thought you were after burl????

Perry's contact info is there.
Iirc he was needing a few interior trim pieces to develop the patterns, and offered to do it to them in return for the loan of the bezels etc..

That Lincoln steering wheel looks amazing! (to me)

ETA; IDK about your wife, but it seems he already has most of the patterns developed for plotter or laser.
 Jim,