1 ... 45678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Hook 'em Up Loose" - 1986 F-150 Restoration/build

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
ArdWrknTrk wrote
SPOUT (SPark OUT) is a little jumper that goes in the harness between the distributor and the ECM.
With it removed the timing is locked, so you can set base timing.
Right.  But does the fact that he gets an error seemingly randomly mean he has a broken wire or a bad connection?  That would certainly cause firing issues.

Ran KOER test about 10 times trying to get it to do an engine balance test. I would say I got the codes 3/10 times. 213(SPOUT) and 225 (knock sensor) codes always posted together. Definitely worth checking the wiring. Battery tested "good" (50%) with CCAs set at 675, until I adjusted the CA to the number on the label then it failed the test.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wonder if the SPOUT glitching could cause a backfire that would set off the knock sensor?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sure if the van is jumping between advanced and base, it would definitely see it as a knock.

You need to fix the lowest number code first.
It usually resolves the other ones caused by it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm sure if the van is jumping between advanced and base, it would definitely see it as a knock.

You need to fix the lowest number code first.
It usually resolves the other ones caused by it.

Sounds like a plan, just need to find the wire I need to mess with... And what the heck these disconnected wires go to.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
They look like they go to two of the three emissions solenoids on the valve cover.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
If you'll determine the wire colors, as best you can, that go to each connector I'll see if I can figure something out from the 1996 EVTM.  But tell me what wires go to each connector, and give me an end-on shot of the connector as there are some drawings of connectors in the book.

As for cleaning the wires, I'm using brake cleaner on a towel.  Doesn't seem to hurt the insulation and does a far better job of cleaning it than anything else I've used.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
They look like they go to two of the three emissions solenoids on the valve cover.

I believe you are partially correct, not sure how easy it is to see this in my pictures. Ill take more tomorrow, working nights now. I think I need to look for a vac diagram. There are 2 of 3 solenoids present and connected on the valve cover. One of the connectors is part of this harness and shaped the same. The lower connector which is more oil soaked is on the run of wire below the head. If you look at the picture of the engine by the alternator you will see a loom run going up and below and behind it an oil soaked run along the bottom of the head. The top run goes to the solenoids. I found this picture but its off a bronco set up and doesn't 100% match.

Also next to those connectors/ oil filter... is that the knock sensor?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't tell much from those pics and that diagram.  But if you get better pics and the wire colors I'll bet we can nail down exactly what the connectors should go to.

But, is that an EEC-IV system?  I think it should be as it is an '95.  So I'll assume so and go looking for the connectors there when we get better pics.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
yep EEC-IV did a self test on it both engine off and engine running. Couldn't get the cylinder balance test to run though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
This post was updated on .
Ok here are some pictures of the disconnected wires. The upper one that looks like it should go to a vacuum solenoid has brown and red wires.

The one that goes to the lower connector is a red and what appears to be yellow with a white stripe. Or maybe it's like mustard yellow with a yellow stripe. There is nothing I can find that this connector could reach. It is part of the same harness that continues down over the transmission.

I also noted the misfires do not start right away. The engine starts and does it's it's thing for a minute and then as the idle settles out and it runs for about a minute more the misfires start.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Ok took a 5 minute video from start up to idle then gave it some gas.

It seems as long as it's getting gas the misfires calm down. As soon as I hit the gas it seems like it stutters a bit then after I let off the gas she starts misfiring again. After being on the gas for a minute looks like smoke coming from the pcv valve. Valve feels good but the grommet is shot.

Granted I did feel like I was getting some while highway driving, maybe because it was under load. I will have to take it out again to verify now that the and light has gone away( parking brake is loose and didn't set off the brake light, but was set a bit when I drove it last so we had some issues.)

Here is the link to the video:
https://youtu.be/QhPB9Ta4CnE
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you know if the van has EEC-IV or EEC-V?  I ask because I have schematics for both in the '96 F-Series EVTM.  The trucks below 8500 # GVWR are EEC-V and those 8500 # are EEC-IV.  And that makes a difference in the wiring.  One way to tell is if there's a mass air flow sensor at the air cleaner box.  EEC-IV doesn't have one, but V does.

And, EEC-IV trucks have bank-fire injectors with half of the injectors having a tan wire from them, along with the common red, and the other half having a white wire as well as the red.  But on EEC-V trucks each injector has the common red plus a wire color unique to that cylinder, with #1's being tan, #2's being white, #3's being brown/yellow, etc.

However, some things may be common.  Like the EGR Control Solenoid had red to one side and brown/pink to the other on both systems.

On the other connector, in the EEC-IV system there's a Secondary Air Injection Diverter Valve with a red wire to one side and a white/orange to the other.  And I've found that in my harnesses the white looks yellow and it is hard for me to tell orange from yellow.  But that connector is only used on the F450's.  So perhaps that one isn't used in your van?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I would check the coil if it starts to misfire after a little warm up.

Edit, if any of the disconnected wires don’t fix it.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Got busy with the kids and school today. Will head back out and check all of this in the AM.

Gary maybe it is EEC-V because using the eec-IV code reader I could not get it to do the cylinder balance test.

I will check all the wires and for a maf sensor. According to rock Auto this is an option for this engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Ok checked the injector wiring and everyone is red and tan.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I hope not as that would fire all 8 injectors at the same time.  EEC-IV trucks have bank-fire injectors with half of the injectors having a tan wire from them, along with the common red, and the other half having a white wire as well as the red.  Specifically, 1, 4, 5, & 8 have tan wires, and 2, 3, 6, & 7 have white wires - in addition to the common red wires.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe the white has yellowed over time?

Pretty sure that injectors are always hot and the ECM switches ground.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, most white wires I've seen of this age look yellow.  And yes, all are hot and the computer grounds them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
How is this possible on a 300?   🤯

🤔

🤣
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wait!  It's a six?  My bad.  

But by '96, which is what my EVTM covers, the 300 in an F-Series was EEC-V with SEFI.  So I don't have the specific schematics.  However, we can probably get there using the 5.8L wiring - and just leaving a cylinder or two off.  

1 ... 45678