Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Hook 'em Up Loose" - 1986 F-150 Restoration/build

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I thought you were after burl????

Perry's contact info is there.
Iirc he was needing a few interior trim pieces to develop the patterns, and offered to do it to them in return for the loan of the bezels etc..

That Lincoln steering wheel looks amazing! (to me)

ETA; IDK about your wife, but it seems he already has most of the patterns developed for plotter or laser.
yea I'm looking at burl right now, that aluminum looks nice too lol you guys added a new player to the game. And I agree, that Lincoln steering wheel looks amazing.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
JC
Reply | Threaded
|

JC
Looks like a nice project.  Do you by chance live in a warmer climate?  I because I see you installed that rubber sound deadener. I am reading on lots of forums that stuff about runs you out if it gets warm out in a hotter climate. I live in a cooler spot and am thinking of using it.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Not the OP but it will follow the same rules as any insulation - slows the transfer of heat between sides.
So in hot weather it will keep the reduce the hot body panels from soaking in and in cold weather it will reduce the interior heat from leaching out.
Not sure what the reasoning on the other forums is but in any climate, there is benefit. If nothing else, the sound deadening properties.
I say do it, especially the doors.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I agree 100%

I have foil face mass damping on the floor, up onto the firewall and sound deadening in both doors.
My ex complained her feet were hot.

I don't see a downside.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think he may be saying that the smell will run you out when it gets hot.  I've heard that said of Peel & Seal, but I have used it and did't mind the smell - and it gets HOT in Okiehoma.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Fond childhood memories evoked by the smell of hot paving, old time leaded gasoline and burning leaves in the fall.

At least a couple of generations since then (and every future one) that will never know a world like that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Danny G
TheScatch wrote
Hey Scatch,

I probably missed it along the way, but where did you buy this carpet? LMC? Did it come with any padding on the backside or no?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Perhaps that's it, Jim.  I didn't mind the smell 'cause it evoked memories.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
TheScatch wrote
Hey Scatch,

I probably missed it along the way, but where did you buy this carpet? LMC? Did it come with any padding on the backside or no?

Rock Auto!  It had jute insulation on the back side. They also have mass backed carpet. It's all made by ACC.

I have a spare carpet in a darker brown made for a truck with manual(more hump in the middle) that I ordered by accident. Be very careful on RA to get the right cut.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I think he may be saying that the smell will run you out when it gets hot.  I've heard that said of Peel & Seal, but I have used it and did't mind the smell - and it gets HOT in Okiehoma.
Maybe it will smell... The Eva may smelled of asphalt a bit but I let it air out in a very hot SC garage for about 2 weeks and the smell went away.

Peel and seal is typically straight butyl rubber I think. I doubt it has much if any smell.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Found this guy in ny while we were visiting. Liking this color scheme. Was one thing to look at pictures another to see it in person.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Started getting into the e-150 to see if I could figure out what's wrong with it's efi 300 six. The misfire is random. Did a eec-IV koeo and koer test. I randomly got a SPOUT circuit (no idea what that is) and knock sensor failure during the dynamic test, but it wasn't consistent.

I could not get the van to do a cylinder balance test, tried like 30 times. This would have helped tremendously in narrowing down things.

There are two connectors not even hooked up. No idea where they go. Looks like one would have hooked up to a vac solenoid as there is an empty spot next to the others. You can see the engine is pretty oil soaked.

I noticed there was a slight gap between the flange of the distributor and the engine and fluid could be see pulsing there.

Battery tested weak could be part of the issue. Ran out of sun before I could start pulling plugs to take a look but given they messed with the distributor I have a feeling the random misfire may be on the fuel delivery side.

Had some black what I thought was oil in the tailpipe. After the water evaporated out if the pipe this seemed to be more soot that oil.

Shiny spot in the middle is either fluid or the distributor turning.

Picture of the main reason I bought her, this e4OD.

Efi intake... Maybe I'll use the efi stuff if I don't use the engine

Unknown hanging connectors

Oil bomb, vac solenoid bank visible.

Power steering pump is on top, ac compressor on bottom. Wonder if this will cause swap issues
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You weren't kidding about the oil on the engine!  

As for the oil around the dizzy, my guess is that the o-ring on the dizzy is bad.

Remind me what year the van is?  I'm wondering what documentation I have that might help.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
SPOUT (SPark OUT) is a little jumper that goes in the harness between the distributor and the ECM.
With it removed the timing is locked, so you can set base timing.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Video of engine running.

https://youtu.be/Sk-qjL1bsB4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
SPOUT (SPark OUT) is a little jumper that goes in the harness between the distributor and the ECM.
With it removed the timing is locked, so you can set base timing.
Right.  But does the fact that he gets an error seemingly randomly mean he has a broken wire or a bad connection?  That would certainly cause firing issues.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
You weren't kidding about the oil on the engine!  

As for the oil around the dizzy, my guess is that the o-ring on the dizzy is bad.

Remind me what year the van is?  I'm wondering what documentation I have that might help.

I think the o-ring is gone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the '96 EVTM.  May be the same wiring.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It would explain random misfire.

The bellhousing is immaculate.
Obviously no one cared to clean anything before the replaced the tranny.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It would explain random misfire.

The bellhousing is immaculate.
Obviously no one cared to clean anything before the replaced the tranny.
 Dizzy is new too. I don't think they put the o-ring on when they did it. Work was done by a Ford dealership here. That transmission was the main reason I bought the van. At $1000 plus title fee's anything else is icing on the cake. PO says engine has 402,000 miles on it. Transmission has like 100.
1 ... 345678