salans7
Rembrant wrote
In any case, nice job man. Looks good.

Need a windshield too, huh?...lol.
Thanks!

That's my $250 mistake.

FuzzFace2 wrote
Yes nice job.

I also don't think I get all that much heat coming from any of them areas for the need to put mat down.
At some point I want to install carpet and that should take care of the noise & any heat coming from that area.
Just my .02
Dave ----
Thanks!

My heat worries are based on my daily driver, which isn't a bullnose/bricknose so it may not have the same issues. But I'd rather take care of it now than later when everything is in the truck.

Gary Lewis wrote
So the 5 sheets you ordered won't be enough to also do the doors?  I was asking to figure out how many sheets I'll need.
Not in my case. I figure at least one sheet will go to the roof panels, another will go to the floors, another to the back wall, and the remaining will go to the outer door skins. That leaves the inner door skins bare. If you choose not to use a whole sheet on the transmission tunnel like I did, and plan out where you put all of your sheets, you could probably make the 25 sq ft last for everything. But I'll end up ordering another 10sq ft for the doors at a later date.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Salan's 1980 Something

salans7
This post was updated on .
And now I have a hood again. All the used hoods around here are full of cancer or more than a few hours away so I decided to go pick up a Taiwanese replacement from NPD. Metal is definitely thinner than an original hood, but this isn't a show truck anyway.

Gary, if you're reading this, do you by chance still have the measurements for the hood letters? I can probably find them on FTE if not.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you mean the letters themselves or the spacing thereof?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Do you mean the letters themselves or the spacing thereof?
Spacing, sorry. If I recall correctly, you measured them out on Rusty at one point and posted the pictures.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see if this works.  These pics are of Dad's original hood, which I still have.  The R & D are both 2" wide at the base.  So I measured from one to the other and get 13 3/8", which appears to be the same for the other letters.  But since the O is wider you can't use the same measurement technique and I only eyeballed it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks Gary! How about a reference from the edges of the F and the D to the body line of the hood?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's actually a good question.  But, let's see how good these several answers are:

I didn't get lined up as well on the F to edge as the D since it is hard to get to, so I'm guessing that the actual reading should be 13 1/16".

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Perfect! Thanks Gary!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do we need to have a page on this, or is this thread adequate?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
That is entirely up to you. I can't imagine there are THAT many people adding hood letters without an old hood to reference. But maybe there are?
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
As my father would say, you are going to keep us in suspenders and not tell us?  
I can tell you now.

Today I picked up a 1987 Borg Warner T19 mated to a Borg Warner 1356. It came with the shifters, linkage, two pressure plates, a flywheel, the floor inspection cover, and boots. It was removed from a retired (in 2019) F350 brush truck in favor of a ZF5 swap. The best part is, the truck only has 54,000 miles.

Super nice seller, and I mentioned the site to him. He said he had heard of it, and I told him if he ever had any questions about his 87 C&C to drop on by and join up.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well,  that all looks hauntingly familiar!

What's he using for a TC now?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It's hauntingly heavy, that's for sure.

I believe he's probably running the 1356 that came with his ZF5.

I did verify that this is the heavy duty 1356 with PTO as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh interesting!

So a PTO on each side of the T-19 and a third (fifth position) on the 1356 too?

That truck must have some tales to tell.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yep!

He told me it belonged to a fire department up here in north Florida, and he bought it less than a year ago. He also had a super cool 1950 Ford F-3? Fire Truck that was a Marmon Harrington conversion. I have a thing for old Ford fire apparatus so it was really cool to see.

What's funny is that I read the PTO transfer case was an option on Diesel trucks, but this was on a C&C 460.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can see the advantage over a gearbox mounted PTO if they're using it to drive a pump.

Soooo, are you installing a 20k winch?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I can see the advantage over a gearbox mounted PTO if they're using it to drive a pump.

Soooo, are you installing a 20k winch?
I'm just gonna turn the truck into a tractor at this point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is great!  Good find.  

As for fire trucks, you are in the right place for that.  My DiL's father used to build them there in Ocala.

But I didn't know there were HD versions of the 1356, nor one with a PTO.  Cool!

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
That is great!  Good find.  

As for fire trucks, you are in the right place for that.  My DiL's father used to build them there in Ocala.

But I didn't know there were HD versions of the 1356, nor one with a PTO.  Cool!
I agree, well worth the drive. Just need to find a bellhousing and it will all be complete.

E-One is a less than reputable company here. E-One and Lockheed Martin are great jobs until the contracts are completed and you're laid off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
He was laid off by E-One, and what you've heard is what I've heard.

1 ... 9101112131415 ... 26