classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
493 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Salan's 1980 Something

salans7
Thanks Jim! Wish I was closer to getting it running, but considering I basically started with just a frame, rear axle, front clip, and a bed, I think I'm doing pretty good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are doing a lot better than "pretty good".  And I'm going to have to hustle or you'll beat me.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks Gary! Once the truck is on all four wheels, I can really start trying to nail down the drivetrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Well I set a goal to have the truck on all four wheels by the end of my vacation, and here we are!  The new springs put the truck only an inch above where I had it, which is perfect because I'll lose some height with the drivetrain installed, and then regain a little bit of height once I put on some bigger tires.

We're also coming up to a year since I started this project, so maybe by next year I'll be much closer to getting it running. Still have to chase down a lot of parts, but I think that's one of the best parts about building one of these trucks.

(Fuzzy pictures are no Bueno, I need a new camera)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippeee!!!!  Congrat's!  In the words of Paul Simon, “Say, ain’t we walking down the same street together
On the very same day?”

How far is it from the ground to the flat on your wheelwells?  Big Blue's are at 43" w/o the engine.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Still have to chase down a lot of parts, but I think that's one of the best parts about building one of these trucks.
Ain't that the truth!

That truck is jacked! Looks good.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks guys!

Gary Lewis wrote
Yippeee!!!!  Congrat's!  

How far is it from the ground to the flat on your wheelwells?  Big Blue's are at 43" w/o the engine.
I'm at 45" to the flats. So definitely a bit higher than BB, but it's basically where I want it (sans engine).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How much do you guess our trucks will drop with everything in/on?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yours will probably drop at least 2" since you're running well-worn in OEM springs. Mine is hard to say because they're brand new and they have four leaves each pack. Probably 1.5-2 inches when all is said and done.

It's hard to say though, my shackle angles are not where they're supposed to be with this RSK, but I believe the aftermarket packs run a little shorter than the OEM packs do, which may be why. Hopefully when the springs compress under the weight of the engine they'll move back the other way to a usable angle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dropping 2" would put it dead-on level with the rear with the current load and suspension.  But by the time the engine, transmission, winch, two batteries, etc are all in there I'm guessing the front may drop a bit more than 2"

However, the rear is going to drop some as the transmission and all the stuff in the cab, like the carpet, seat, inverter, etc are going to bring it down some.  Plus there are no fuel tanks nor fuel in the truck now.  Nor spare tire, and it is HEAVY.  And then I plan on removing leafs.

But, I'm hoping to start on this journey tomorrow by installing the engine.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I forgot about your bumper and winch, that's definitely gonna weigh it down. Hopefully the engine install goes well!

Now that the truck is on all four wheels, I can finally start working on driveline and axle things. Checking things off of the list is fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
salans7 wrote
I forgot about your bumper and winch, that's definitely gonna weigh it down. Hopefully the engine install goes well!

Now that the truck is on all four wheels, I can finally start working on driveline and axle things. Checking things off of the list is fun!
Yes, checking things off the list is FUN!

Some would say I'm creating a list with lots of things to check off just to feel good.  And, while there may be some truth in that, the list helps me think through things.  For instance, I'm not going to connect up the hydroboost system for fear of having leaks during the cam break-in.  And that had kept me from delaying the step of filling the brake system and bleeding it.  But I just realized that there's no hydraulic connection between hydroboost and brakes, so I can move that step up much earlier and check the big box called Brake System!

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Even though the truck has been on all four wheels since January, I haven't had U-bolts or plates to marry the axle to the springs, so I haven't really been able to move the truck. I had to think long and hard about who to pick the plates and u-bolts from, because I was not happy with the service I received from Sky's Offroad when I purchased the shackle hanger, and their business practice in my honest opinion leaves a lot to be desired (I follow them on Instagram and my opinion is also based partially on what I have seen there). I decided to contact a friend who works for RuffStuff to see if they could modify their Dana 60 "Simple Swap" kit so that I could have 3" spring plates necessary for my SD leaves. They were more than willing to work with me to get me the correct plates and u-bolts for the axle/spring combo, and the parts were shipped out on Tuesday and arrived to my house today. I couldn't ask for better service.

With that being said, I told myself that once the axle was married, that I would push the truck off of the concrete. Mission accomplished.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done, Shaun.  

Erik @ Sky worked with me, but there were a lot of things I think could have been done better.  And you got very quick service.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Well done, Shaun.  

Erik @ Sky worked with me, but there were a lot of things I think could have been done better.  And you got very quick service.
My biggest issue was the fact that they have a website full of products, but only a very small handful of people working for them. I also noticed based off of their social media posts that they batch weld via an outside company. In other words, it doesn't seem like they weld their own products, hence the long lead times. That coupled with the fact that they threw a huge black Friday sale, knowing full well they could not keep up with demand was enough for me to choose to take my business elsewhere. They're great if you don't mind waiting weeks for them to find the time to take your order to the welding shop, but I don't really like the idea of spending close to $1k and having that money sit dormant for two weeks without any communication as to where the product I paid for is.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
Man that thing is jacked!

Love your backyard there Shaun. Level ground and nicely shaded in.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rembrant wrote
Love your backyard there Shaun. Level ground and nicely shaded in.
Welcome to the entire state of Florida!  

It's a coral reef, so nothing higher than the last ocean rise event.
Tropical weather causes everything to grow in quickly.
A constant battle to keep the jungle at bay.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
You might need to carry a step ladder with you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I had a dream about this last night.  I saw Big Blue from a distance and he was way up in the air.  Then, when I got closer, I realized he was sitting on scaffolding, tires dangling in the breeze.  

No idea why I had that dream, or nightmare, but it sure fit in.

1 ... 78910111213 ... 25