407 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
 They are only a bit less then 200 miles away, and if they have a crate it would probably slide in the back of my new truck with the dinky 5 1/2' bed with the 'gate down.  If they don't have it crated I can take the trailer.
I have a toolbox in the back of my Ranger, and with the tailgate down, I was able to fit my D60 in the back with no overhang, but it had to be angled in the bed. However, that was also an SRW axle, a DRW axle will be longer and I would probably bring a trailer for that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know, thanks.  I got the trailer out yesterday as it hasn't rained for 3 days so the ground was hard enough I didn't leave ruts.  But we are to have two rounds of storms today and then several more during the coming week.  I wanted to be ready in case I find "the right thing".

I say "the right thing" because I don't know if it is an axle, and axle with springs and panhard rod, or a whole truck.  Anyway, I'm now ready.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
  I want to be ready in case I find "the right thing".
I say "the right thing" because I don't know if it is an axle, and axle with springs and panhard rod, or a whole truck.
I thought the right thing, and the purpose of this fishing expedition, was to replace Big Blue's cross member?

Like I said, I'd go upstate looking for an F-350 but it's way out of your range and shipping would be prohibitive.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The way I've described it is that the cross member is a MUST.  Say it is the "cake" for my birthday party.  A D60 is icing on the cake, and Super Duty springs represents the candles.  You can't have a birthday party w/o cake, but you could have cake w/o icing - and at my age a cake w/o candles is much safer.  

I have the cross member located, close by and only $50.  But I'm coming to the conclusion that the way to get the best ride is to source this piecemeal.  Cross member there, D60 where I can find it, and SuperDuty springs from wherever.  (Actually, the salvage that has the cross member may have the SD springs and was to check yesterday.  She called back close to quitting time and I missed the call.  And they are closed today, so I don't yet know.)

The downside to a piecemeal approach is that it is probably more expensive.  The upside is there is a lot less work and time for me in parting out the truck.  And:

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping
Into the future

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry. I didn't realize that you already had a line on a cross member.

you gotta fly like a eagle
to be free
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, you have the right song.  Knew you would.  

And yes, I have the cross member found, only 25 miles away, and she's assured me that it won't be going anywhere - especially since it is down in the "wet area" and she can't get to it.  It is starting to rain right now and is supposed to rain seriously today and then again several times this week.

Having said that, I am coming to the conclusion that the piecemeal approach may yield a better result, with less time required of me, although probably more money.  But, I want to get all of the options in front of me before I decide.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm still trying to get rid of some of the parts from my old cab, and even parts from the new cab. I currently have tons of random metal pieces, a bricknose dash, two bricknose door glass, bricknose fenders, bricknose door panels, and a bricknose a/c box that I have no use for.

I definitely recommend piecing everything together.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
In theory I found a 3.54 SRW D60 locally.  It is out of an '89 F350 w/a 460, but since the axle is advertised by itself I'm assuming it is out of the truck.  However, that probably means the crossmember, which will be the right one, is still there.  And the panhard rod may be there.

Unfortunately they are closed today.  (I know of three local salvages that are closed on Saturday, which really seems bizarre.)  So I'll call them on Monday.  But, 'twixt now and then I'd like a good list of the bits I am looking for.

And, are there two lists - '89 F350 vs later SuperDuty?  In other words, if I'm buying springs separately then I'd like to price the springs that are probably still on the truck vs SuperDuty springs since the latter will give a better ride.  But, do I need different bits for one vs the other?

I think I need:

D60 axle
Cross member
Springs
Panhard rod
Mounting brackets: what ones specifically?  Panhard rod - I think that the one that attaches to the cross member, so maybe it would be on the x-member if I get it from them.  Do I need any spring brackets, or am I getting all of them from Sky?
U-Bolt Plates
U-Bolts?  Are these specific to a D60?  Do they need to be new?  What is a u-bolt flip?  (Yes, I understand they'd be upside down, probably to provide additional ground clearance.)
Pitman Arm: If I got this from the F350 would it work?  Or do I need a dropped arm?  Does it matter which springs I go with?

As you can see, I still need lots of hand-holding.  But, I think I'm ready to go get it if they have most of what I need.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's  great news.  
AFAIK all the spring brackets and shackles come in the kit.
You would use the old rear spring mounts for the reversed shackles by drilling them out, for regular 350 springs.

Since you want the Superduty springs you'll get the kit with SORD's LoPro rear brackets.

I think you have all the bases covered.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks.  But just so I am sure I understand, If I go with F350 springs I need the rear spring hanger off that, or a similar, F350.  But, if I go with SD springs everything comes in the Sky kit.  Right?

But, what about the pitman arm?  Get the one from the F350?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think the 250 hanger will work with the SORD RSK. At least that's the impression I got from their instructions.

As for the pitman arm, I see no mention of needing a 350 drop arm with their regular 350 RSK.
(and doing a straight across SAS essentially gives you a stock 350 front end)
But IDK what Superduty springs might add to that.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Update: I just looked through the pics and it appears this is for a DRW truck.  Don't know how I missed that.  

So, how much am I looking at for new hubs?  I'm finding them to be 'spensive: East Coast Gears: $220/ea, used.  What am I missing?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
If you add more than a leveling kit to the truck, you'll need the drop pitman arm. So if the Sky kit gives you 2", that will put you right at the end of the steering linkage travel. If you were to put lift springs in, you definitely need the drop pitman.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Ok guys, from what you've said I can try the F350's pitman arm, but with the Sky kit it may not work.

As for the hubs, $275, inc shipping, gets the hubs.

But, here's the latest news: On eBay they state that the axle has 3.54 gears.  But, when poking around their site it shows the same truck but says 4.10 gears - although they want $175 less than on eBay.  I don't think this one is going to work out.  Wrong hubs and wrong gears is more than I want to bite off, at least until I wait a bit and see what others might find.

But I will call them on Monday to find out what they say they about the gearing.  And, I'll check to see if they might have the right hubs.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
Ok guys, from what you've said I can try the F350's pitman arm, but with the Sky kit it may not work.

As for the hubs, $275, inc shipping, gets the hubs.

But, here's the latest news: On eBay they state that the axle has 3.54 gears.  But, when poking around their site it shows the same truck but says 4.10 gears - although they want $175 less than on eBay.  I don't think this one is going to work out.  Wrong hubs and wrong gears is more than I want to bite off, at least until I wait a bit and see what others might find.

But I will call them on Monday to find out what they say they about the gearing.  And, I'll check to see if they might have the right hubs.  
I wouldn't hold your breath, most dually 4x4's came with 4.10's. I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on that.

Maybe try this one? It's a 97 though, so it has ball joints and bolt on calipers.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good find, Shaun!  

I've found their website and it does show that axle is available.  So I'll contact them on Monday.  Just call me Paladin - have trailer will travel.  (WAY before your time.)

And, by the way, here's a screen shot from the search function on the website.  DRW has but one ratio according to them.  I'll have to take a peek at the '86 dealer facts book and see if I can figure it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No factory 4WD DRW pickups in 1986, only cab and chassis and they would have been Dana rears.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.

All y'all - I'm trying to count up what this D60 adventure might cost.  Assuming I can get a D60 axle for ~$800, the Sky 85-91 Ford F-350 4x4 2" Front Shackle Reversal (Superduty Spring) for $615 inc shipping, and SD springs for $185, that makes it $1600 to that point.

Then the question becomes what, if anything, to do about a locker.  I've re-read what was said earlier in this thread about front lockers, and the only thing I'd want to do is a selectable unit, like the Ox.  And that's another $1300 w/o shipping but including electric shift and an installation kit.

But, shouldn't I replace the ball joints, u-joints, and tie rod ends while it is out?  We've just now topped $3K.  Plus, does the Ox need professional installation?

I really need to understand what I'm getting into before pulling the trigger, so would appreciate y'all thinking this through with me.  And, as a reminder, I'm outfitting BB to be a competent overlander so I can take Janey wheeling in CO and then take my son on some more strenuous trips.  But I don't think we'll ever take seriously challenging courses.

Also, is there any significant advantage to doing the locker while the axle is out of the truck?  Or might that be done later?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
But, shouldn't I replace the ball joints, u-joints, and tie rod ends while it is out?  We've just now topped $3K.  Plus, does the Ox need professional installation?

Also, is there any significant advantage to doing the locker while the axle is out of the truck?  Or might that be done later?
Yes, most of those parts will probably need replacement and it's better to replace them now than later.

Doing the locker with the axle out means that if you have to take it to a shop for professional installation, you're only taking an axle housing, and not an entire truck. Which would you rather do?
1 ... 891011121314 ... 21