407 messages Options
1 ... 18192021
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I actually had forgotten that.  So the numbers we've been quoting are capacities.  Thanks for reminding me.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
I don't think anyone wants a buckboard ride.
But keep in mind that the f-350 front end is miles better in compliance than the 250 and doesn't bottom harshly.
Then add the RSK.
Then the superduty springs.

Even grossly oversprung it would be more compliant than a 250.

Which also brings to mind the consideration of damping rates to match load and spring rate
Compression and rebound are important and you might be best to talk to Billy about your intended use and the front weight of this truck.

I know enough about this in motorcycles but don't really have enough background with trucks off-road to make any kind of recommendations.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I sure hope you are right that the "f-350 front end is miles better in compliance than the 250 and doesn't bottom harshly.  Then add the RSK.  Then the superduty springs."   I like the sound/feel of that!

On the damping, I've been looking at the Bilsteins that Sky carries.  Sky's website says:

Bilstein 5100 Series Gas Shocks

The Bilstein 5100 Series shock absorber is designed for specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock O.E.M. mounting configuration. It features Bilstein's superior single tube high gas pressure design for consistent fade-free performance and long life. Bilstein's patented self-adjusting valving delivers improved damping control and a smooth ride on all road surfaces at any speed.

*Self-adjusting deflecting disc valving
*Use with lift kits utilizing the stock OEM mounting configuration
*Independent rebound and compression tuning
*Limited lifetime warranty
*Superior control for large diameter tires

But, their tab on Ford 85-97 Sizing says:

*You will need to measure if you have a crossover panhard kit

(10" travel front/rear) 2" lift in the front with factory rear height 4wd F-250/350

(12" travel front/rear) 4" lift in the front with leveled rear 4wd F-250/350

(14" travel front/rear) 6" lift in the front with leveled rear 4wd F-250/350

I think from what's been said that I'll have less than 2" of lift - over a '95 F350's height.  Is that correct?

If so then I'd need the 10" shock.  But, I want Sky to tell me, so I sent them this:

Next questions - shocks and brake lines.  I'm looking at your page on shocks and I don't know how much lift nor travel I'll really have.  Again, an '85 F250 but with a '95 D60, 2003 Superduty springs, and your kit.  What shocks do I need?  What brake lines?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Spring washer stack valving means the compression damping is speed sensitive, and will absorb harsh hits easier.
Independent compression and rebound adjustments are great for fine tuning the shock. This varies the total orifice size available to each direction of piston travel.

IDK if their Bilsteins are rebuildable, but if they are you can tune the shock  by varying the thickness or number of washers of each diameter.
You can also swap the orifice disc those washers cover for one with different profile holes and area.
**Like a reed valve where you could change the ports in the cage, change the thickness of the reeds, or stack progressively smaller reeds to offer a soft initial opening.**

Of course then you need nitrogen to recharge the shock, because it doesn't oxidize the fluid and due to gas law offers progressive resistance as the shock bottoms.
The shock is under pressure to keep the hydraulic fluid from frothing and boiling as it gets forced through the damping orifices. This causes cavitation and heat.
In this way nitrogen pressure is analogous to a radiator pressure cap.

Yes, given what we've found I would say the 10" stroke shock is what you'll need.

**sorry, my inner geek got away with me. LOL **
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know, thanks.  There are Bilsteins on the back, so it seems natural to have them on the front as well.  I thought 10", but wanted confirmation on the length.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I checked your link.
At that price and from what I see they aren't rebuildable, but look like a good choice for your project.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I'm getting quite a list of parts to order from Sky.

1 ... 18192021