classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
407 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Issues With Big Blue!?!?!

salans7
They have two different kits, one for OBS springs @ 52" in length, and one for Super Duty springs, which are 56" in length. You can't mix and match the kits, so you will have to determine which spring you would like to run and buy that specific kit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got it.  While the SD kit is more money, is there any reason other than that to shy away from it?  I think I located and SD to get the springs from.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The good thing about the Super Duty kit is that it includes the lo-pro shackle hangers and shackles which will correct any funky shackle angles you might have ended up with otherwise. You also get the best riding springs, so it's really a win-win. It's more than likely the kit I'm gonna go with since Super Duty springs are more prevalent in lift sizes. Plus they're cheaper.

Be forewarned however that you may have to trim your front bumper if you're running a stock one instead of the Warn bumper. But if you still have the Warn, you might be okay.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary remember that in addition to the panhard bar you need the bracket that bolts to the cross member you need to replace.

So, you'll need to get that cross member from a 350 or buy the bracket from Ford or aftermarket.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - I'm running the Warn bumper.  I might change at some point but it isn't going to be to a stock bumper as I have the winch.  And if I change it'll be one I design, which will take into account the spring mounts.  But thanks for the Warn-ing.  

Jim - Is that the bracket for the panhard bar?  And are you saying I need to get a cross member from a 350?  Or, I think you may be saying that if I get the cross member from a 4wd 350 it'll have the bracket.  And if not I can buy it from Ford or aftermarket.

Ok, I think I see a plan emerging from the fog.  I have feelers out everywhere, but unless one of them hits pay dirt with a whole truck or at least every component I need, then I'll:

Get the cross member from the local salvage

Pick up a D60 axle and tie rods

Buy F350 SuperDuty springs for a D60, and I think I have a pair located at the same salvage as the cross member

Buy the Sky SuperDuty kit

Add the bracket if the cross member doesn't have it.

Buy a drop pitman arm

Does that sound like a decent plan?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
Your post I was replying to was asking about using a 460/IDI cross member from a 250.
In that case you would need the bracket because 250's have pivots and no panhard mount.

The pitman arm from a 350 might work. At least it seems to for some that install an RSK in their 350 trucks without installing lift springs.
So my thought was 'buy a wrecked 350. all the parts are there.
But 250->350->RSK is looking like ~4" and the 250 pitman arm is not going to work with that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When you showed the hacking of Big Blue's cross member, and then David found the $1250 eBay one, I thought... Gary dislikes the 250 ride and hopes to take this truck off-road, the engine is already out... heck he could buy a trashed F-350 and fix all these issues at once while it is already apart.

I never intended to lure you back down the rabbit hole.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Ahhh!  Dawn.  Marble Head.  Got it.

I agree that a wrecked 350 is the best of all worlds.  Shaun put me onto what MAY be an '89 350 flatbed dually for sale.  It is on ebay, but the listing's heading is about the front axle, while the pics are of the truck itself.  So I need to understand if they are selling the truck or just the axle.  I've sent them an email to understand.

However, here's what I can decode from the certification label:

- Model code K = 1989
- F384: 11,000# GVWR C&C
- Engine code G = 460
- Trans code M = 5 speed OD, and supposedly the Mazda R2???
- Axle code 65 = 4.10 Ford

Would the hubs on a C&C be the extended ones?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I do absolutely dislike the ride.  And given the lack of articulation in the front end, this thing won't do very well off road - and be painful doing it.  So, I eagerly followed you down the rabbit hole.  Maybe something will come of this, and maybe not.  But one thing I've learned about me is that I like to learn, and this has been a learning exercise, for sure.

To quote the book:

The rabbit-hole went straight on like a tunnel for some way, and then dipped suddenly down, so suddenly that Alice had not a moment to think about stopping herself before she found herself falling down a very deep well.

Either the well was very deep, or she fell very slowly.....

...when suddenly, thump! thump! down she came upon a heap of sticks and dry leaves, and the fall was over.

Alice was not a bit hurt, ...

So now I have a bit of knowledge about axles, springs, SAS's, etc.  Perhaps I will use it on Big Blue, but maybe not.  In any case, I'm not hurt a bit.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The hubs on any dually would be extended.
Because the rims are offset enough that running them back to back in the rear separates them enough that the rims and tires don't rub .

This is also why a dually has narrower tires than the 235/85-16 we pickup guys think of as 'pizza cutters'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
See, I'm learning!  

Ok, good to know.  And, that's what I was guessing, but wasn't sure.

But buying this F350 would be a big undertaking as it is COMPLETE.  Lots and lots of stuff to get rid of.

One approach would be to put it in the shop on the lift and drop the engine, tranny, t-case etc out, get the front axle and associated bits off, and then pull the cross member.  Back the trailer under it and haul the carcass to the scraper.

That leaves me with yet another FI'd 460.  But I'd also have the right t-case and front drive shaft.

Also, can that really be the Mazda tranny?  Wouldn't it be a ZF5?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A wrecker/flatbed of that vintage (with a diesel) would probably have a Allison, or something similar made in house.

Given that Ford had a big stake in Mazda perhaps they produced it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Having re-looked at the cert label, the code is an "H":

But H doesn't compute as it only shows for '85.  And this thing has HEAVY front springs!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The seller has just come back and said "WE JUST INCLUDE THE PICS OF THE WHOLE TRUCK TO GIVE YOU A BETTER PIC OF WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE IT IS. WE ARE ONLY SELLING THE AXLE"  (All upper case is theirs.)

So, given that is is just the axle, which is the wrong ratio and extended hubs - and $1050 to boot - I'll pass.  At least for now.  Let's see what other options there are, especially to get all the other bits.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Maybe it's a typo, they forgot the forward slash.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
F-350's are usually 9-10k gvw.
I'm sure a wrecker has stiff springs.

I guess I can't be much help from up here (back in Stamford CT)
Even a truck that burned would probably be ok for your purpose.
Though it might effect spring temper.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Grumpin - It probably is a typo.

Jim - You've been a huge help.  I knew nothing about D44HD's vs D50's vs D60's before we descended into the rabbit hole.  But with everyone's help on here I know enough to be dangerous.  However, I'm confident that all of y'all will help me through it when the time comes.

Here come's another microanalysis!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Aaand....   Here we go, the next eight pages.  

I'm glad if I could impart some of my personal experiences.
But do note that I never did the SAS & RSK on my truck.

If that F-450 had had other hubs and 9k springs, instead of 10 lug dually hubs you probably would have followed me thru it right here on the forum.

So, I'll defer to Jonathan and Shaun as the local experts.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I should have clarified that it was just the axle, Junkyards are not in the business of selling complete vehicles.

Although I understand your positioning, keep that one on your Ebay watch list just in case because I have come across more 4.10 axles than 3.55 and you may struggle to find that ratio in anything other than an SRW F350. Also, you may find plenty of 3.55 ratios, but they could be inside axles that are severely pitted and not worth your time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - You've been a big help, as have all the others.  And yes, we are off on another adventure.  And, we will document it to the hilt.  And maybe turn that into a web page how-to.  

Shaun - Not to worry, I'm keeping that one as a "possible".  But, if I want to do it I'll see if they'll take quite a bit off if I come to get it.  They are only a bit less then 200 miles away, and if they have a crate it would probably slide in the back of my new truck with the dinky 5 1/2' bed with the 'gate down.  If they don't have it crated I can take the trailer.

1 ... 78910111213 ... 21