12345678 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Clearing hurdles

Sac79
1986F150Six wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
Oops, forgot the air cleaner.  Perhaps one specific to these trucks and that engine?
It is the offset of the non-factory intake manifold which caused the interference issue... early V8 Broncos had something which might work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-77-Factory-Ford-Bronco-Air-cleaner-assembly/283819672879?hash=item4214f8852f:g:qgYAAOSw6rFecqXF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Ford-Bronco-Air-Cleaner-Breather-1966-To-1976-factory-Original/174237065134?hash=item2891569fae:g:nZEAAOSwQNNeg~Ct

With the ones, above, you might need something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1977-EARLY-FORD-BRONCO-STAINLESS-STEEL-V8-AIR-CLEANER-BRACKET-BRACE/152940330098?epid=4016361999&hash=item239bf43c72:g:5zkAAOSw2fpaofrM
Thanks David. Interesting find, I haven't seen those. Doubt I would find them in the yards around here and those prices are a little high just to avoid an aftermarket cleaner.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
How are you with a welder LOL
Could cut the center out in an oval then turn the cut out so it would off set the housing and weld it back in.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I've never used one Dave and I don't actually own one yet... But I was actually thinking along the same lines for a while. My idea was to make a hybrid of my stock air cleaner and the big one. Cut out the center pieces of both bases and lids and swap the big air cleaner's base and lid parts to the small diameter housing... Last resort maybe.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Get an off set base for what you have or modify your original air filter housing' base to put an off set in it. Also you may be able to find a  factory air filter housing that's a little smaller on the outer dimensions.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
Hmmm? Look at the photo on Post #4. This would not allow for preheated air, though.

https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80885
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thanks David. Interesting find. Probably a little extreme when I have simple(but not desirable) solutions available. Any 14" or smaller aftermarket air cleaner would fit in my setup. I would just like to use an 'original look' air cleaner with a snorkel... The air cleaner I got from the yard has a 15.5" diameter, that appears to be about the smallest I've seen for those with a 5 1/8" carb neck, most on eBay appears to be 17"+.

I've put the dilemma to one side for now. I'm finishing up brake and fuel lines first. Followed by the interior frame and then probably the radiator core support and right fender.

It appears the vapor line/tube(the one running to the canister) from the fuel tank is blocked... Any ideas on clearing or replacing it?
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Sac79 wrote
It appears the vapor line/tube(the one running to the canister) from the fuel tank is blocked... Any ideas on clearing or replacing it?
It is just a small dia. metal line so should not be to hard to come up with something.
I don't know the size but I would think you could find it in the copper / nickel roll that they make brake lines out of.
There is a rubber hose at the tanks and the canisters to connect them together.

BTW have you tried shop air to blow it out? If so then just replace it.
I do know they like to rust out where it goes across the frame at the back of the cab.
It sits on that cab frame cross member that also likes to rust out.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thanks Dave. Yes, I tried air, after trying brake cleaner first, no joy... I've ordered some 3/16 brake line, should do the trick I guess.

In other news, after filling the brake system with fluid and having to re-tighten a bunch of connections it seems my calipers are leaking... I have to do a little more fault finding, but it's not looking promising.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sac79 wrote
 Any 14" or smaller aftermarket air cleaner would fit in my setup. I would just like to use an 'original look' air cleaner with a snorkel... The air cleaner I got from the yard has a 15.5" diameter, that appears to be about the smallest I've seen for those with a 5 1/8" carb neck, most on eBay appears to be 17"+.
Were the van air cleaners any smaller in diameter [due to dog house dimensions]?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
1986F150Six wrote
Sac79 wrote
 Any 14" or smaller aftermarket air cleaner would fit in my setup. I would just like to use an 'original look' air cleaner with a snorkel... The air cleaner I got from the yard has a 15.5" diameter, that appears to be about the smallest I've seen for those with a 5 1/8" carb neck, most on eBay appears to be 17"+.
Were the van air cleaners any smaller in diameter [due to dog house dimensions]?
I'm terrible at keeping this thread up to date... Anyway, I don't know David, but I've put the air cleaner issue aside for now.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

The great wiring project begins

Sac79
I don't know why I'm so bad at updating this thread, but I am. My only excuse is that the camera lives down in the garage and I always forget to bring it up to upload the pictures... Pretty lame.

Anyway, I've started the wiring... And I'm happy to say that Painless have lived up to there name! So far...

Oh I did the cowl first. I don't know what material was used to seal it originally, I can't remember removing anything, but I found a suitable product next to the garage door seals at Lowes. It expands up to 1". I also covered the grills with insect screen.

I also sealed the garage door seal with roofing sealant to the cowl after reading Gary's write-up, annoyingly it appears I have no pictures of that! I'll get one next time(next month)

Then the wiring started... I installed the dash frame first without the dash, it made running the wires a lot easier and I only had to detach the sides to get the dash on later.

I had to use a lot of my old harness and really the easiest thing would have been to leave the interior harness alone and only replace the wires in the engine bay. But the new harness if everything works is massively simplified and I will now know how everything works, if it does...

And interior harness done!

I added a door jamb switch to the passenger side.

I have a couple of questions. One, does the speedo cable not secure behind the speedo? I could swear it was clipped in when I worked on it years ago.

Where does this bulb secure? Is it the correct one for the lights and wiper switch backlighting?

Can anyone please take a picture of the screws or bolts that go where these two are(the two in the center holding the dash and two parts of the frame together)? These worked fine before I added the dash itself, now they're too short and I don't have anything that would fit left(I probably used the correct ones somewhere else).

Last question, does ground G701(interior) connect to the dashframe or the cab bulkhead? I'm assuming the frame as I can't see where on the cab it would mount.

Thanks for reading. Any answers or comments pointing out errors will be greatly appreciated!

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The great wiring project begins

Sac79
Now I know why I'm so bad at updating this thread, it took me 44mins to write that post...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Tough crowd over the weekend...

Here's the cowl seal with aftermarket washer nozzle(I misplaced the original...). I used the 'washers' that came with the seal.

I figured out I'm missing a bracket on the lights & wiper backlighting after seeing a post by Matt Wood. I might make a run to the salvage yards and see if I can find it, might be able to get the 2 screws I'm looking for too. And I'm 99.9% sure the G701 ground is to the right of the radio on the frame. So all I need from anyone now is clarification on the speedo... But it's not crucial and I don't see what I would do about it anyway. I suppose I would have to do something if it worked itself loose...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nice to have an interior light from the passenger side.

The speedo cable clicks into the back of the cluster.
You pry gently on the tab to get it free.

I have a bricknose so my dash may be different.

Yes I believe the ground attaches to the front of the dash frame just to the right side of the steering column.
If you wonder where ANY of these grounds go the EVTM has a whole section illustrating them.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the speedo cable clips to the speedo, but not to anywhere else on the dash.  As for the grounds, Jim is right.  There's a whole section on grounds in the 1985 EVTM.  And Page 10 of that says G701 is shown on pages 67, 68, 69, and 148.  Here's page 67, and it looks like it is on the instrument panel and not the cab.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How could the speedo cable attach to the dash?

You have to be a contortionist to pull the cluster and get to it as it is....

At least I have a hard time getting my mittens back there to unplug it.

ETA: nice illustration, it also shows the wiper switch illumination, which he was asking about.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I've sometimes had to work on un-clipping the cable for several minutes to get it off.  And frequently get scrapes, if not cuts, on my hands.  It is a tight and unfriendly place.

As for the illustration, I'd missed that Rob was looking for the wiper switch bulb location.  Glad you pointed that out, Jim.

And it is a nice illustration.  And one that needs to be easily accessible.  We have the fairly new page (Documentation/Electrical/Wire Routing) that tries to do the same thing.  But as shown below, it labels everything with part numbers - which makes sense as it comes from the Master Parts Catalog.  But it isn't nearly as helpful as the one above.

So, where to document it?  On the wire routing page?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thanks Jim and Gary. I have the '84 EVTM(which you can upload if you want Gary, doubt it's very different from '85 though), but I missed the G701 location in the illustration initially and only saw the description.

As for the speedo, as you can see in the picture the tab appears to be broken. Not sure if that was me when I removed everything 4 years ago or during transit. My issue now is, do you think it will stay in place or do I need a replacement?

I'm missing a bracket on the wiper switch illumination bulb. No idea how that happened. I think my dash has been disassembled a few times prior to me doing it. There are numerous broken tabs and I like to think I'm not so heavy handed that I caused it all...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't know if a Bricknose dash has the same lamp holder, but let me root around the bins.

Oh, and thank you, Rob!  
I'll be getting back to you.
 Jim,
12345678 ... 16