302 messages Options
123456 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Making progress

Rembrant
That looks awesome!
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very nice indeed!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
Wow!  It is looking great!  

As for the vent hose, it goes up the shift lever, inside the boot.  See if this helps:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thank you gents. And Gary for the info, I looked at my other main section post first, so Shane beat you to my query - two different questions, same answer...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The amount of Kill-Mat you used on the floor is what I have in mind for my F350. Doing every square inch is unnecessary and a waste of time and material.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
salans7 wrote
The amount of Kill-Mat you used on the floor is what I have in mind for my F350. Doing every square inch is unnecessary and a waste of time and material.
I believe it will make a difference and be worth the small investment in time and money. Doing every square inch might be better, but wouldn't be worth it for me.

This topic was discussed a long time ago on FTE and I remember that the theory was you only really needed to cover about 25% of a panel to reduce vibration. I did the doors back then.

Now if your goal is insulation from noise and temperature then maybe 100% is better, I would assume so. I believe the padding and carpet will achieve that for me.

I added a few pieces to the firewall after the picture was taken(using the old stuff from the roll in the picture). And I still have 9 mats for the back wall of the cab and ceiling. I'm planning on putting carpet across the back and installing an aftermarket headliner.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Looks great! I wish i had the space and time to do such a thorough resto. Maybe in a few years time i will.

That kill mat will do wonders!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Small hurdles in the way

Sac79
I'm having a bit of a nightmare with the transmission shift lever retainer cap... The documentation for the NP435 says you need a special tool, that might be the case, but I'm wondering if my cap is damaged?

I think it might not have been secure before I disassembled everything, I vaguely remember the shift lever coming out of the transmission... While driving

I picked up an air cleaner at the salvage yard as I would like to use a stock one over the bling versions, for the cold air function. It was quite a hard find, there are actually very few carb engines left in the yards. This one came from a '78 E?50.

I'm not too concerned about it not having the hot air diverter on the snorkel It has two ports to the chamber, one of which was plugged with a grommet(not pictured) and a blue valve across from them. Mine only had one port for access from the oil cap. The valve on the lid is the same.

Can someone please explain the PCV system to me, what are the required basics? Vacuum from the carb to the PCV valve on the valve cover, air from the oil cap to the air cleaner(is that just a vent?)... Is that it? I'm trying to figure out how to make this work.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket throttle cable, the original won't work with the new carb.

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Small hurdles in the way

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That cap may be bent.  And you do not need a tool to take it off or put it on.  Just gloves and/or shop towels to protect your hands - you press down HARD and turn it to lock/unlock it.

I could probably take the one on my tranny off and get a pic of it tomorrow if you need it.

And you've got the PCV system figured out.  Air goes in via the filter on the side of the air cleaner, through the hose to the oil filler cap, down through the crankcase, up to the PCV valve, and then into the base of the carb to be burned.

The only aftermarket throttle cable I've heard of is Lokar.  Can you post a pic?  I'm curious what the issue is.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I posted a Purolator part number the other day for the breather filter assembly that fits inside the air cleaner housing.
I do believe the Ford number was cross referenced following that.
They're only $5 and include the retainer clip.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
That cap may be bent.  And you do not need a tool to take it off or put it on.  Just gloves and/or shop towels to protect your hands - you press down HARD and turn it to lock/unlock it.

I could probably take the one on my tranny off and get a pic of it tomorrow if you need it.

And you've got the PCV system figured out.  Air goes in via the filter on the side of the air cleaner, through the hose to the oil filler cap, down through the crankcase, up to the PCV valve, and then into the base of the carb to be burned.

The only aftermarket throttle cable I've heard of is Lokar.  Can you post a pic?  I'm curious what the issue is.
Thanks Gary, I don't think I need a picture. I thought it might be bent as well and turned the tips in a little without success. I get it pushed down all the way, followed by a slight turn and then it pops out again! I'm thinking the 'ledge' is too small to hold it, hence I thought a piece might have broken off, but unlikely it would be identical on both sides. I might put a file to it and try to modify it a little and then keep trying to get it to stick.

As for the PCV, so air goes into the system through the oil cap, would that be dirty air then(as it draws from outside the filter)? Anyway, bottom line, all I need is those to connections, correct?

Do you know the function of the blue valve in the picture(next to the snorkel)?
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I posted a Purolator part number the other day for the breather filter assembly that fits inside the air cleaner housing.
I do believe the Ford number was cross referenced following that.
They're only $5 and include the retainer clip.
Are you referring to this?

I would need to replace it, as mine does not fit the larger housing.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure which "blue valve" you are meaning, but take a look at the documentation here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners.  That shows what each of the components do.

As for PCV system, the air coming in is supposed to be clean having gone through the filter on the air cleaner.  No, it isn't as fine of a filter as the one for the air going into the cylinders, but it should do the trick.  And if you connect the oil fill cap to that filter, and the pcv valve to the barb on the carb or the intake (I don't know which on the 4.9L) you should be good to go.

On the transmission, I took some pics anyway.  Hope they help:

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
On the "blue valve" being referd to it is the cold weather modulator I believe. The metal valve in the lid shown is your thermal sensor. Those two parts are what controls the heat door in the snorkel for heated air to the carb during colder weather. You connect a vacuum line from manifold vacuum to one nipple of the thermal sensor. Then from the other one to one of the nipples of the cold weather modulator then from there to the vacuum motor in the air filter snorkel. I hope that helps although it appears that your snorkel is different. You should be able to change the snorkel. This is how the vacuum controls are hooked up on my air filter and I hope this helps.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Gary Lewis wrote
On the transmission, I took some pics anyway.  Hope they help:

Thanks again Gary. That's quite telling, obviously a big difference. I'll try to customize mine, at least it makes sense now. Doubt I can buy a replacement, maybe pick one up in a yard though...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Frank Wyatt
Frank Wyatt wrote
On the "blue valve" being referd to it is the cold weather modulator I believe. The metal valve in the lid shown is your thermal sensor. Those two parts are what controls the heat door in the snorkel for heated air to the carb during colder weather. You connect a vacuum line from manifold vacuum to one nipple of the thermal sensor. Then from the other one to one of the nipples of the cold weather modulator then from there to the vacuum motor in the air filter snorkel. I hope that helps although it appears that your snorkel is different. You should be able to change the snorkel. This is how the vacuum controls are hooked up on my air filter and I hope this helps.
Thanks Frank. I'll see what I can do about changing out the snorkel to keep the cold weather function, although being in Alabama, I'm not too concerned and might just run it without initially. It is the reason I went out looking for a stock air cleaner though, so we'll see. I'm just trying to keep the PCV system operable to start with.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Sac79 wrote
Thanks Frank. I'll see what I can do about changing out the snorkel to keep the cold weather function, although being in Alabama, I'm not too concerned and might just run it without initially. It is the reason I went out looking for a stock air cleaner though, so we'll see. I'm just trying to keep the PCV system operable to start with.
Good to have a fellow forum member in the same state!
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
OK Sac79. For the PCV valve, connect manifold vacuum to the PCV valve. Most but not all replacement oil fill caps have some sort of filtering in them, although being hooked to the air filter is best. On the cold weather parts of the air filter, the truck will run OK without them being functional, but "cold" is a relative term here. As in colder than operating temp. Your engine will function better with everything connected and working properly though you may or may not notice it directly. Again though, not a requirement in getting one running and driving.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Good to have a fellow forum member in the same state!
You up north David? I think that's where Gary placed you... Spring in full swing here and pollen crazy as usual. But we only have a couple of weeks of moderate temperatures a year, so better get out and enjoy it anyway, just be sure you have your Bubblixa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT2tpGQHfQY
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Gary Lewis wrote
Here was my issue...

I bought the aftermarket bracket. It had to be modified a little, the throttle linkage rubbed against the frame. It came with two return springs, which is too powerful(I could not push it to full throttle with my hand), so I'm using one. My original cable has a broken plastic sleeve inside its return spring, but the issue was simply connecting it to the linkage. I considered just getting an end-assembly and cutting mine.

But I found this in the carb's box...

So problem solved, I think. I'm going to cut the plastic sleeve and return spring off my cable and it should work fine with the aftermarket bracket.

I'll find out tomorrow. I also replaced a couple of the washers on the manifolds with larger ones, where I could.

And here's a preview with the air cleaner. Color suggestions? Options are black, aluminum(aka aluminium) or the same blue as the block...
Rob

123456 ... 16