302 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The great wiring project begins

Sac79
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I don't know if a Bricknose dash has the same lamp holder, but let me root around the bins.

Oh, and thank you, Rob!  
I'll be getting back to you.
You got the bushings? No problem, glad I could help. They're better off on someones truck rather than sitting in my garage!
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
I found the bracket that holds the wiper/light switch backlighting bulb at the bottom of box all by itself!

And then instead of continuing with the engine bay wiring I played around with my second luxury buy, the stainless brake lines being the first, I guess the carpet could also count, so could the intake manifold and the carb... OK, maybe there has been a few. Anyway, here it is mocked in place.

It will stay black, hence why I got black carpet. I also got new armrest which will also stay black. The rest of the interior is getting the same blue as the dash already has, except for the dashpad and sunvisors. I had planned on getting a dash cover(which would have been black), but since someone is making speaker covers(hopefully they still are?) I plan on keeping my dashpad as is. That's if it's not cracked to hell from sitting in storage for 4 years... Still haven't unwrapped it.
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob - It is Ron/reamer that is/was making the speaker patch.  Send him an email by clicking on his avatar in one of his posts.

That black overhead console makes it hard to photograph.  But I like it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Thanks Gary, I'll send him an e-mail. Well hopefully I can show you the headliner in person at the truckshow, if not this year, then next...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would like that, Rob.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

The great wiring project slightly derailed by shiny things & leaky things

Sac79
Not a whole lot of progress made on the wiring this week. I spent most of my available time on the headliner. It's installed now and only waiting for the other trim, the front lip is supported by the trim running across the cab, before adding the radio. I'm keeping the original radio as well and it will be connected to the antenna. The aftermarket radio will be for CD/USB only. It has a bunch of other features, but I'm not really up to date on all the modern 'stuff'...

The liner also came with a full size sponge pad. I think the resulting insulation should be quite noticeable.

The above picture was from Thursday before I finished installing the speakers yesterday. It probably wasn't such a good idea to install the headliner on 'shoulders' day... I just physically couldn't finish it. There is a thick piece of sponge for each individual speaker as well which makes installing them a bit of a pain, literally in my case.

I also made progress on the fuel system. Does anyone have a regulator like this? It has a hole for a screw(?)(facing the front on the top dome) on one side that's open, it looks weird, I'm wondering if this unit is missing that screw? Anyway, I have a gauge for the front open port, outlet is set up to the rear. I'm running two filters. Only thing left to do is replace the carb inlet with a 90 deg elbow fitting. I had planned on just bending the hose round, but I want less slack in the hose to prevent the filter from ending up on the manifolds.

The ugly plastic trash on the carb(I'm referring to spacer not the bag) is part of my plan to use the stock air cleaner. It along with the chrome fuel filter and another antenna(my third, and more on it next time) was bought with AZ rewards. I wanted a clear filter like the other one, but they don't have the clear one in 3/8" inlet/outlet. I have 5/16" to the regulator and 3/8" to the carb.

I got the rewards from buying a power steering pump with pressure hose. $50 bonus reward for spending $68! I had bought a repair kit for my original pump, but then I first broke the return hose inlet on the reservoir and then couldn't get the lockring removed. So I gave up and bought the new one. I initially thought I would spend the rewards on new calipers as I believed mine were leaking. Not so sure now, I've pushed on the pedal a few times installing the brake switch and the calipers are bone dry. Maybe the fluid just slowly worked it's way down the spindle after I bled the brakes? The bleeder screws and the hose connections were leaking initially. The spindles were wet for about 3 days after... I plan on bleeding them again at some point soon to check definitively.

Anyway, I have other leaking issues now. Power steering reservoir cap...

That picture was before I added fluid yesterday. I flushed the system first, only about half a quart, though the instructions called for up to a gallon... I thought that was overkill! I then filled the system, initially with the cap removed, as I turned the pulley and then the steering wheel(no power to do them simultaneously), until the first puke spilled ATF all over the garage floor. I then continued the process with the cap in place while doing the turning and only opening to refill. To my dismay it continued to puked out past the new seal on the cap! I am aware of the Ford pump's puking issues, but I thought that only happened at full lock? I was only going one full turn in each direction in the end and it was still leaking. I'm replacing the cap as I hope this isn't normal. I remember that the pump and gear was always wet when the truck was running, but I attributed it to a leak and not normal behavior at the time. I really don't want to go through a Saginaw conversion now...

That's it for my update for the week.

Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The great wiring project slightly derailed by shiny things & leaky things

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Rob - That's quite the update!  A LOT OF WORK!  

Now you see one of many reasons why I don't want the C-II pump.  Just turn the wheel and it'll puke its guts out, all over the engine, floor, etc.  Add noise and lower assist and it has three strikes.

I like the headliner.  I hope you'll show more pics of how it looks and tell us how it sounds.  But I'll bet that the sound deadener and foam makes a big difference.

What brand is your pressure regulator?  Looks a lot like the Holley I've run.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
Rob, I'm running a metal filter with a 90* built into the outlet.

While it's only 8mm in and out it's enough for my 460.

I just happened into it when I was working on my brothers Altima, but there are all sorts of OE applications you won't know about.
That might solve your problem and clean up the routing a bit.

Any possibility to turn the regulator clockwise 90*?
That would take a whole lot of that S out of the hose on the left hand side.
I don't know how you'd feel about the pressure gauge facing up, but we often used to see that in the pits.

Glad to see you're making so much progress, because progress is good!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On the regulator, Holley & Summit Racing's knock off are the same from what I have seen.
It should have 4 screws holding the top part on to the main body.

This is a Holley regulator on my drag race car that I run a Holley Blue Pump on.

On your regulator I would have mounted it closer to the pump and either used a short rubber hose between pump and regulator or steel line & 2 short rubber hoses.
Then use steel line out of regulator to carb again using short rubber hoses.
You want to keep the rubber hose used as short as you can because when it dries out (not if) you have more of it that can leak and spray gas all over a hot engine and start a fire.

When I was drag racing NHRA has a limit of 1 foot TOTAL for rubber hose used on cars for a reason and I try and stick to it on all my builds.

Other wise looking good.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Now you see one of many reasons why I don't want the C-II pump.  Just turn the wheel and it'll puke its guts out, all over the engine, floor, etc.  Add noise and lower assist and it has three strikes.
Well I hope the new cap reduces the puking significantly. I could live with puking at full lock for now, but the current level of pukiness is not acceptable...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, I thought about the orientation of the regulator a lot, the best position would have been with the inlet facing the front, gauge the driver's side, outlet the passenger's side and adjusting nut the firewall... But with the mounting bracket and location I chose that wasn't possible. I'll run it like I have it and if I don't experience problems, great. If I do have problems, I'll experiment further.

I think the 90 deg banjo fitting from Edelbrock should suffice for now to tie up my fuel system, but as I say, we'll see how it goes ones it runs... Thanks for the idea though, and yes, I would like everything to be as 'clean' as possible, but first I need the truck running. I have house/yard projects that need more than a Toyota pickup...
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave(and Gary), it's a Holley knock off from Summit. Yes, it has the 4 screws on top holding the 'dome' on, the hole I'm referring to is orientated the same as the outlets and positioned on one side of the 'dome' itself. You can see it in this picture. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3032 The fact that it's open in that picture suggests it is how it's suppose to be. Still, looks weird to me.

Thanks for the advice on the fuel line. Maybe I can get some more ideas as to the location of the regulator and routing of the lines at Gary's next get-together. For now, I'll just add changing the lines to regular maintenance until I have a permanent solution. As I mentioned to Jim, my priority now, is getting it running. I can always come back and tackle individual issues over weekends etc. after plans have been thoroughly thought out.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clearing hurdles

Chris Guthro
Wow eddy!! That is one nice build!! Love the plain Jane truck! The way most should be haha. Your attention is detail is wicked
Southern frame off 1984 f150, 70’ 460 and 4 speed toploader
Southern 1984 f150 pull truck, 600+ horse 460 np435
Southern 1992 beater f150 302 auto (for now)
Californian 1983 bare bones f150 2wd {unknown plans}
About 15-18 parts truck ahah
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The C2 pump will always pee a stream onto the bottom of the hood through the vent hole no matter how tight the lid.

Although sometimes unavoidable, be conscious of turning the wheel with the engine off.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Ahh, I think you just pointed out a mistake on my part, which I realized was wrong at the time, I just didn't think it would affect the outcome as much. The manual directed turning the wheel while cranking the engine. Since I have no power and were doing those things individually I suppose the puking was exacerbated. So maybe it won't be as bad with the pump running. Hopefully, otherwise I see a Saginaw swap as my first weekend project! And yes, I realize that should have been part of my plan from the start, especially since I could have gotten the parts at the salvage for less than the pump I replaced!
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Clearing hurdles

Sac79
In reply to this post by Chris Guthro
Thanks Chris, I'm looking forward to following your build and side project as well! My attention to detail is waning as I'm rushing to finish and my budget diminishes, but I'll get it all the way I want it eventually. And yes, plain Jane is a good description, anything without AC probably qualifies for that moniker! So I suppose my truck always will.
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The pump won't puke at all if it's turning.
But it will probably moan, groan and whirr.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I saw a meme on Facebook where a Chevy guy pulls up next to a Ford and is wondering "Is that a C-II pump or is that a blower?"  

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I remember the whine fondly from when the truck was running. My Toyota has manual steering, so I'll happily put up with noises as long as it stays clean. You've given me hope Jim!
Rob

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Angelo said he likes it too.
Shaun said a GF of his would know a Ford because she drove a Ranger and knew the sound.

I'm kinda glad I got away from it myself.
But, you're right, power assist is WAY better than Armstrong steering.
 Jim,
1 ... 3456789 ... 16