classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
479 messages Options
1234567 ... 24
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Rocky" - 1981 F250 Restoration

Gsmblue
I got the brilliant white and cleaned up the blue filters. I like the look.

I will second the comment about this forum!!!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How about a pic with the filters in place?

And glad the forum is helping.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
I ordered the cool whites. I'll play with them with the filters both on and off, but expect I'll probably remove the filters especially behind the climate control unit.

No real progress today. I'm behind on a work project so I'm jamming to get some things done before tomorrow. Hope y'all are having a good week.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you'll like the cool whites w/o the filters.  That setup isn't quite "factory", but I was never really enamored with Ford's "blue" look.  I like my gauges easily readable and the cool whites did that for me.

Yes, I'm having a good week.  Ran all over Tulsa today to find what my wife wanted for her sewing room - a Husky adjustable-height work table and a shelving unit.  They didn't have them in the stores that said they did, but we eventually found them, got them loaded up, brought them home, unloaded them, and got them not only upstairs but put together.  She's happy, and I'm happy and tired.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I like the blue! Mind you, blue is my fav color…. Back in the day I had a red Fiat Uno, I changed all the interior lighting to blue!

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Blue is my fav color, but I like legibility even better, and the white does that for me.

Uno?  Saw lots of those when we lived in the UK.  Never drove one.  Did drive a 2CV and an early Mini though, in addition to the Nissan Prairie we owned.  All manual transmissions, which required attention with the left hand at the worst possible times, like in the middle of a roundabout when I was concentrating on making it through alive.  

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
My favorite is actually orange, which nobody seems to want for instrument panels anymore.  I actually "like" the dim, retro look of factory lights believe it or not. When I drive at night in a modern car I usually turn the dash lighting down to its lowest dimmer setting because I hate strong lights distracting me from the road. But I've always been light sensitive.

Honestly the main reason I want the white LEDs is almost silly but important to me. I posted this in another thread but I'm remaking (or trying to) my faceplate for my climate control. My faceplate is cracked and scratched worse than I've been able to buff out, and I have that ARA after-market A/C system so finding replacements has been impossible. So I'm having the acrylic piece laser-cut and printing this design on a transparency sheet to see how it all works:

Some of those colors wouldn't look right with a blue light behind them. They need a white backlight.

I feel like I'm in limbo for the project. Literally everything I need to do next is waiting on something in the mail! Hopefully tomorrow I can get back into it.
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Orange might be close enough to red to not impact your night vision.

But you are right that white will work best with your HVAC controls.  

Hope you start getting things in the mail, soon!  It is no fun to be hung up waiting on someone else.  (My new rear view mirror/camera system doesn't come in until Tuesday.)

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Gary Lewis wrote
Hope you start getting things in the mail, soon!  It is no fun to be hung up waiting on someone else.  (My new rear view mirror/camera system doesn't come in until Tuesday.)
I think I'm going to have a busy weekend. :) A bunch of things are scheduled to arrive over the next few days.

Looking forward to feedback on your camera system. I went a different route. I really liked the look of the repro chrome rearview mirror LMC has so I went with that - I'm in some kind of "chrome everywhere" mood. But I'm going to be using this truck mostly with a slide-in camper where backing up is definitely a good place to have a camera. So I went with one of those $99 license plate cameras, the ones that just display on your cell phone. I'm already used to bringing out "extra devices" when we tow our fifth-wheel so I think it'll be fine, I only need it for a few minutes a trip. We'll see how it goes...
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For $230 inc tax you can have what I'm getting:

12" mirror with full-width display

Waterproof rear camera that automatically shows on the mirror when you shift into reverse

Front camera that goes on the inside of the windshield

GPS antenna that records where the truck goes on the included memory card

Continual recording, with the last 30 seconds of the file saved in case of an accident

Does your $99 camera do that?  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
and we all love the simplicity of our bullnose trucks! haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
For $230 inc tax you can have what I'm getting:

12" mirror with full-width display

Waterproof rear camera that automatically shows on the mirror when you shift into reverse

Front camera that goes on the inside of the windshield

GPS antenna that records where the truck goes on the included memory card

Continual recording, with the last 30 seconds of the file saved in case of an accident

Does your $99 camera do that?  
Can't wait till your review on Tuesday!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't hold your breath.  I need to go clean the shop in order to have room to test the mirror and cameras, and I HATE cleaning.  But there is the carrot dangling in front of me that if I get it done I can play, so...

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Did it ever occur to you I might not want the antics I get up to with this truck recorded in that much detail?

IDK I just love chrome. I was born in 75. By the time I started driving, chrome was already out of style on cars, and I didn't get into trucks until it was out of style there too. So it's the thing I never really had. If you sent me a catalog full of chrome stuff for this truck I'd be poor in a week! So I'm sticking with the old school mirror.
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To each his own.  I just want to be able to see what I'm about to back into or hit going forward.  And my old school menu isn't doing that for me.  

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Some parts are starting to arrive. As usual, it's 90% of what I need. I have a bad habit of ordering three cables when I needed four...

I started working on my instrument cluster. I added a tach, which I always like to have on a manual transmission even though I never really use it. Instead of hard-wiring it right to the terminals I decided to order the replacement PCB as well because mine is starting to crack like they all do. I got a new one that has the tach connectors as well so I can do a clean install, but just realized I forgot to get four nuts for it. Oops! I could jerry-rig them with some copper star washers, a flat washer, and a regular nut but I went ahead and bought a pack just so I have everything clean. I also have a new regulator on the way, that solid state one you guys recommended.

While I was doing that I removed my ammeter. I'll be doing an alternator upgrade at some point and figured I may as well switch that to a Rocketman voltmeter while I have everything apart.

While doing THAT, I got to thinking. I have that narrow rectangular dummy panel where usually the shift indicator goes for the automatics. Has anybody thought of anything clever to do with that area? I was thinking of trying to put in an LCD clock but can't find one I like that fits the area...

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had a narrowband AFR LED arrangement in that window on Dad's truck for a while.  But it was really worthless.  Narrowband just tells you if you are above or below 14.7:1, not how far.  So it just flashed.  

Anyway, you are doing it right!  But you will change the wiring for the voltmeter?

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, you are doing it right!  But you will change the wiring for the voltmeter?
Yes, I'm doing the Rocketman conversion, having him rebuild my core then adjusting the wiring to the gauge when I install it. I want to get the truck running sooner than Rocketman/CC can send me the new unit (their site says mid-January) so I'm going to reinstall the panel in the next few days just without that gauge in, and prepare an ACC/GND 2-wire plug to the location ready to use when I need it.

I was looking at one of these, which will fit just about perfectly, but I'm not sure it's dimmable. (Fairly sure it's not but I'd have to look at the PCB, sometimes they are but they just don't document it.)

They're so cheap I may grab one just to see if it works.
--
Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Installed the new door lock cylinders last night and puzzled out some of the lock mechanism stuff. I still have some issues with my driver's side lock linkages rubbing against the window tracks, so they aren't working well. But it can wait.

Can somebody tell me what this line is for? It's marked as part of the set of "3A713" power steering assembly lines, which is fine. But I don't know enough about power steering systems to know what it DOES. Is it some kind of buffer line, or maybe a ghetto way to provide some cooling?

It seems so exposed, it's right against the front frame rail exposed to anything that might fly under the front bumper. I'm not going to take this thing jeeping, but I do hit a lot of forest-service roads that can be pretty rocky, and I'm worried about its exposure. I think I could fashion some type of rock guard for it, but want to understand its exact function first (especially if it IS for cooling and needs airflow).
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is for cooling. So it does need some air flow. But on Big Blue things would hit the steering linkage before hitting that.

1234567 ... 24