WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7845 messages Options
1 ... 60616263646566 ... 393
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

NotEnoughTrucks
Aftermarket vs original? That would be an interesting comparison. I have an aftermarket R fender somewhere. Perhaps a test fitting and write up sometime in the near future.

And congrats on the cover pic!
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
In reply to this post by Ford F834
I appreciate that!  While i would love to someday have a pretty and matching truck, right now the goal is for full functionality and reliability with pretty and matching a close second. I wouldn't mind the oak grain honestly as my pad has been broken for a while. Is why my horn got stuck and doesn't work, and also why i assume my cruise control stopped.
Am moving soon and with christmas, you understand its also not at the top of the list of course. But for sure please keep me in mind.
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
Found some pretty clean fenders at the picknpull today.

These are getting hard to find around here.
Nice score! I need a set of those.

Since they are so hard to find around here, I've more or less just planned to go with new aftermarket. Any word on the fit and finish of them compared to the originals?
Swallow hard, Cory!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-Ford-Bronco-Truck-F100-150-250-RH-Fender-1980-81-82-83-84-85-86/113305427605?hash=item1a61879e95:g:Oo8AAOSwWlFbwOEp:rk:2:pf:0
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
GASP!!!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Haha...well, that's a bit extreme now...

I don't know if they still have them, but Dennis Carpenter has them in the catalog...but ONLY the RH side. I forget exactly what the prices were...something like $99 each for left or right aftermarket front fenders, and $149 each for NOS OEM, but only the RH side.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I actually DID something with my truck today - Dad's truck no less.  I moved it onto the lift, for the first time in waaaay to long.  Now I can continue the work on the front suspension parts.  Here 'tis:

That let me move the tranny and tool box into the open area, and here you can see the completed E4OD on the engine stand and the Tim Meyer 400 sitting on the floor:

And, feeling good about things I then moved the front end parts to the work table so I can clean, blast, and paint/powder coat them (and some other things ) to get this party going:

Then I added some wall art.  Here's a shot of where it went, and David and Ray Cecil can point out the bits they brought.  Thanks, guys!!!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That’s great Gary! It ~has been a while since you have made progress with Dad’s truck. Like I’m one to talk, but it’s good to see it back on the stand again and ready to be worked on 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The shop has been such a huge mess since I brought Huck in that I've not really been able to work in it.  But over the last few days I've been chipping away at it, and I made a major push today to get it in reasonable shape before my son appears in the morning.

It is a good feeling to have enough things put away that I can actually see my way to doing some work.  My plan is to get the front end under Dad's truck, which will take quite a bit of painting and/or powder coating.  And then to be able to put the engine and transmission in, as they are ready.  It'll be a long, long way from done, but it will be progress.

And then I'll turn to Big Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Well, I actually DID something with my truck today - Dad's truck no less.  I moved it onto the lift, for the first time in waaaay to long.  Now I can continue the work on the front suspension parts.  Here 'tis:

I LOVE the lighting in there Gary. Combined with the white walls and clean floor, that sure looks like a nice bright place to work.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Now that it is fairly clean it is a fun place to work.  And the lighting worked out pretty well.  I downloaded software from a lighting company and designed the system with it.  The lights are, as you can see, close to the walls and use them as reflectors.  That gets the light under hoods, on the brakes you are working on w/o having your head create a shadow, under vehicles on the lift, etc.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, looks good sir! As for the lighting software, it worked well for me too.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I'd forgotten about using it on your shop.  

It'll be next week before I get back to working on trucks since we have all the family here this week.  Been looking forward to this time for quite a while, and it is finally here.  

So, I'll be scarce on here, but will check in early mornings and late at night.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
A few weeks ago I saw a leak from the radiator of my project so I used the pressure tester and found it coming from the lower hose nipple into the tank.

So today being it is getting colder and I still had water in the cooling system of my project and the leak I drained it.
Well just before I drained it I look the radiator over a little better and found 3 tubes by the tank and 1 in the center.
So looks like I am going to need a new radiator :'(
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Not today, but Saturday, I had some wheel bearing noise and an occasional clunk, not loud in the left front. I removed the wheels one side at a time, pulled the calipers off and spun the hub/rotor assemblies. Left had a small amount of noise, but had enough play that the outer edge of the rotor moved at least 1/8" when moving the outer portion of the hub up and down. Not having a pair of seals, I carefully removed the hubs and examined the outer bearings, and looked at the grease in the cavity. I packed some more fresh grease in the cavity and did the outer bearings, re-tightened the bearings and no more noise, bearings looked great, brakes and steering are better now too. Warm weather task, redo both sides, get the rotors turned and new pads.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave - I thought I'd replied to this, but apparently haven't.  Anyway, glad you found the leaks now.  Otherwise you could have had serious on the road that could have been expensive.  Not cheap now, but more so than later.

Bill - Good catch.  I'm debating what to do for Dad's truck as I put it back together.  The bearings look good, but I'm wondering if I should replace them anyway.  However, I will have the rotors turned.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Not so much today, but this week...The engine has finally made it to the machine shop. I was able to get the exhaust manifold off of the exhaust without damaging either once I was able to climb inside the engine bay. I also took the old aluminum running boards off. The weather has been nasty cold here, so I have spent some time getting my shop (think half of a single car garage) ready. I have been setting up a new air compressor so that I will have some help on these 33 year old bolts.

If I can get a break in the weather that coincides with my time off work, I hope to drop the fuel tank and have a look at it.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Refresh me - what are the plans for the engine?  Stock?  More compression?

I remember the days of working in a single-car garage, but not half of one.  That's gotta be tight!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mostly what I did was website-related, but I did a bit of measuring on Big Blue.  And I found that Big Blue's Lift Height (LH), the height of the rear of the bed above the ground, is supposed to be 36.04" when unloaded.  However, with the large tool box on the front of the bed loaded and the large spare tire in the bed the measurement was 36.25".

Part of the problem seems to be the springs.  According to the 1984 specifications the rear should have 5 leafs and be 2.01" thick at the pad.  Instead they have 7 leafs and they measure 2.625".

I've been saying I need to remove some leafs, but I'm even more convinced that I'll be doing that next year.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Hi, Gary. It will be farely stock. We will put a 4bbl and offy intake on it, and the guy doing the machine work will put a "towing" cam in it that he claims to really help. I will be honest that I am leaving that part up to my father as he is working that deal down in Georgia. I will try to get some more information as I have been curious about it, and he just mentioned it last night.

He turned the other helf of the garage into a usable room the my wife, and I get the cold half.

I would like to have something larger, but in honesty, I haven't maximized the space I have. I think I will have by the end of this project.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll bet it will work out very nicely.  You'll be proud.  

1 ... 60616263646566 ... 393