WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7801 messages Options
1 ... 59606162636465 ... 391
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I actually did something to Big Blue today - I replaced the horn pad with one Chris/ctubutis gave me.  Thanks, Chris!  

Yes, I know it is a Rosewood pad (from a van) and my bezels are burled wood, but the original burled wood pad fell apart.  So I'm happy to have it.  Plus, in the long run I doubt that I'll keep the burled wood bezels since they are turning purple, as most of them do.

Also, today I drove the truck to a meeting at the church building and when I left it didn't want to turn over.  The solenoid didn't engage.  I was able to get it to hit quickly one time by pulling on the steering wheel, but only once and not long enough to actually start.  So I had to use the jumper I carry as a backup and the truck started.  And after that it started with the key every time.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
But isn't the cavity open on the bottom end to air from below?
It's only open to the HVAC system, so the air isn't "FROM" below; it's "TO" below, which is why I chose to put the filter there.
Gary Lewis wrote
The solenoid didn't engage.  I was able to get it to hit quickly one time by pulling on the steering wheel, but only once and not long enough to actually start.  So I had to use the jumper I carry as a backup and the truck started.
This is the where to begin:

...but it may not be the end because there are other known problems...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
  Except that I've done all that and then discovered that there's a problem somewhere in the red/light blue wire 'tween the switch and the solenoid.  When this happens there's no juice to pull the solenoid in.  But everything in the cab works, including the blower.

When I first got the truck it happened frequently, but I did a lot of diagnostic work, including moving the wires, and it went away.  This is the first time it has come back in probably a year, and I wasn't in a position to troubleshoot it at that point in time.  Now it is gone again, only to return at the worst possible time.  

But when I take everything apart for the EFI upgrade, including taking the pedal assembly out to install the hydroboost pedal, I'll have a chance to check the wiring closer.  Some really poor "mechanics" have worked on this truck, and somewhere they've done something that isn't apparent.  One possibility is in the clutch switch.  It's been wired around, so it may be there.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Replaced my tailgate handle. Got it from Bronco Graveyard since I was ordering a window seal kit.

It's the Dorman Help! product. Looks a little crooked. But I can live with it, just bugs me.

One thing to note the factory has metric bolts, this one is standard. Had just purchased some bolts and washers etc. to have on hand. They are 5/16-18. So that worked out. Put the old handle and bolts in a ziploc bag, marked with the item name and date. Why, I'm not sure...

Took the tailgate trim off to help get in there, I think it helped and cleaned things up a bit in there.

Next I'll put the new window seals in.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
grumpin wrote
My truck needs those so badly my windows are loose in the doors...lol. Between them and the door seals, my truck cab is about as tight as a spaghetti strainer.

One of many things on a long to-do list....
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't know that the Dorman handle uses SAE bolts.  But at least you had them.

As for the window seals, it is a bit of a project, but you'll be amazed how much better the truck feels.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
grumpin wrote
My truck needs those so badly my windows are loose in the doors...lol. Between them and the door seals, my truck cab is about as tight as a spaghetti strainer.

One of many things on a long to-do list....
 Haha! My son commented on how fast the windows go up and down. I said the seals are shot, nothing to slow it down!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I do love the way the original steering wheel looks. Mine however is all misshappen and cracked the center pad and around the center pad. I think also why my horn had gotten stuck on. I was thinking of replaceing it with the skinny one with just a horn button from LMC but i would not have my cruise control. Is it to difficult to move the cruise control buttons to another area all together?
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
BuggTruck,

Check with forum Administrator Jonathan [Ford F834]. He has a number of steering horn pads which he brought to the OK GTG back in 2017. He can be trusted and is quite adapt and finding parts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I didn't do much to my truck today other than to use it to burn some gasoline.

It's been pretty windy, so I went for a drive out the road to see what the waves looked like. There were some pretty big white caps, but they were difficult to catch with an iPhone.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those are cool shots!  How 'bout we use one of them for the pic at the top of the page?  Maybe the one w/the light house?

What do y'all think?

Cory?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Those are cool shots!  How 'bout we use one of them for the pic at the top of the page?  Maybe the one w/the light house?

What do y'all think?

Cory?
Doesn't matter to me Gary. I can send you a higher res pic if it helps.

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Found some pretty clean fenders at the picknpull today.

These are getting hard to find around here.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That's great!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

BuggTruck
I like it.
1986 f150 2wd standard cab w/ac 302 5l v8 efi 175,000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
NotEnoughTrucks wrote
Found some pretty clean fenders at the picknpull today.

These are getting hard to find around here.
Nice score! I need a set of those.

Since they are so hard to find around here, I've more or less just planned to go with new aftermarket. Any word on the fit and finish of them compared to the originals?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
Good score, Ray!

As for the "monthly picture", the few that responded liked the idea.  So, congrat's to Cory!

I'd really like to feature a different one of our trucks from time to time, although it wouldn't have to be on a monthly basis.  So when you get a good shot of yours post it up for us to look at.

For instance, when (not if) I get the rear bumper made and mounted on Big Blue I'm thinking that a shot of the rear of the truck in some cool location, like in Colorado, might be good enough.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the "monthly picture", the few that responded liked the idea.  So, congrat's to Cory!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote

What do y'all think?

Cory?
I agree! Those are great shots and would make a great forum header! 😀
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by BuggTruck
BuggTruck wrote
I do love the way the original steering wheel looks. Mine however is all misshappen and cracked the center pad and around the center pad. I think also why my horn had gotten stuck on. I was thinking of replaceing it with the skinny one with just a horn button from LMC but i would not have my cruise control. Is it to difficult to move the cruise control buttons to another area all together?
All of the cruise control signals go through the 2-prong horn plug-in and rubbing contact that allows the steering wheel to spin. I do not know how easy (or not) it would be to relocate the buttons and still have the horn activate from the bar across the wheel.

I do have a number of junkyard horn pads that are in decent shape, but most of them are the van/econoline oak wood grain finish and won’t match your other wood trim. However, given the condition of yours they might be acceptable, or the trim could be painted. I don’t *think I have any more of the burl wood ones like yours. However I have stuff scattered everywhere and over the years my mental inventory is getting somewhat unreliable . I may come across one as we get moved into our new place, and I will keep you in mind.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
1 ... 59606162636465 ... 391