WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7845 messages Options
1 ... 62636465666768 ... 393
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, since I have a T19 I doubt it's that.  

Last time I tried to troubleshoot it I moved some wires below the brake booster and it started working.  And after that I couldn't make it quit.

But since this rascal doesn't have a clutch switch on it there's a possibility that whatever they did to wire around where the switch should be is the culprit.  So, when the engine comes out for the refurb and I'm up under the dash installing the hydroboost brake pedal I'll have a good oppo to figure out what's going on and fix it.  And I'm for sure going to put a switch on the clutch - that thing scares me as the 460 lights off so easily and stops for nothing.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
After researching the cost of a new vs a clean and tested radiator, I have decided to buy a new double row core for only $40 more. The ones at RadiatorDepot.com look promising. I can't afford an alluminum radiator.

The fuel tank is practically the same story. I will just buy a new one for $90 as I was quoted $40-100 to clean and check it.

I am driving to Tennessee tomorrow to meet my dad and pick up the engine. It is bored .030 over, and he said the block and head looked solid without any defects. I am supposed to get a spec sheet on it when I pick it up.

If all goes well, I will have it in the garage on Sunday and I will start prepping the engine bay for it's install.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are making a wise choice to go with new components.  And, that was what I was wishing you were doing instead of cleaning as the prices are so close.  Plus, when they clean a tank and find out it is shot then you may have to pay them and buy a new one.

And, since today is yesterday's tomorrow, I hope you are having a safe trip.  Let us know how it went, please, and post some pics.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Thanks you for the well wishes. The trip was uneventful as we made good time down and back. The engine is in a bag, so I haven't opened it to take pictures. Unfortunately it has rained all day, and it will need to sit on the trailer tonight under a tarp and I will need to play musical vehicles/trailers tomorrow to get it all in the garage. I will post some pics then.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Have you found the gremlin that keeps disconnecting your switch to solenoid connection? I hear my dad asking me if I checked ked all the ground wires, and I always reply yes knowing that I haven't checked them all.

I was having a problem with the Ford Tempo a few months ago with switch being intermittent, and the box where the contacts slide together was starting to separate. I was able to squeeze all the tabs back together tightly, and it has worked great. I haven't taken the steering column off the Bronco yet, but it needs it. The switch is very hard to turn, and all the mechanisms are stiff.

I hate having to dig into the door mechanisms. Such a small place for a man's hands. I need to replace my door panels, and I expect the window motors will need replacing. I personally wouldn't mind changing them to window cranks. I disconnected all the electric motors for the locks on the Tempo, and just made it manual. It is much better.

I hope the solutions are mentally stimulating and enjoyable to fix.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Hstrymkrs
Glad you had a safe and uneventful trip.

As for the gremlin, no I've not found it.  But I'm pretty sure it isn't a ground as just jumping from the battery to the solenoid's trigger terminal starts the engine every time.  However, there is a remote chance that I'm pressing on the solenoid just enough to cause it's case to ground, so I'll check to make sure it is well grounded - but don't tell your father.  

As for the doors, I tend to agree with you on the lack of space in there.  However, I'm not sure I agree with you on the windows and locks.  Big Blue has manual windows and locks, and I frequently want the passenger's window down but cannot reach it w/o stopping the truck, unbuckling, and leaning waaaay over.  So I'd like power windows.

And, I want to put a security system on the truck, so need power locks to make it easy to use.  The way it is I let my wife into the truck by walking around and unlocking the passenger's door, and it is way too far across for her to lean across and unlock my door once she's in, so I unlock it with the key as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
One thing I always liked about Ford is how just pulling the inside handle also unlocks the doors. Granted, on the full size vehicles it always creates an extra reach and a grunt.

I was able to get the engine off the trailer and I into the garage without any issues.

Here she is ready for more adventures.

IMG_20181216_163159178.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Engine looks great.    When do you think you'll get it in?

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
I have 8 days off work next week surrounding the holidays. If weather permits and I get the clutch kit and motor mounts on time, I will try to get it in then.

Any advice on clutch kits? I assume that a stock kit will do the job nicely as I will not be hot rodding it. I hope to pull some more torque and a little extra HP, but it won't be gradios or anything.

I hope to get the engine bay cleaned up tomorrow.

I will add a couple small chrome accents and some blue or grey plug wires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a plan.  As for a clutch, I've had good luck the Luk brand.  But if they have two sizes of clutch kit available, go for the bigger one.  There were both 10" and 11" clutches for the 300, so it should bolt right on.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Thanks, Gary. That is helpful as I was just trying to figure out which one I had. I was planning on going home to measure after work.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
On my son's 1984 and my 1986 F150s with 4.9L, the flywheel was already drilled for either the 10" or 11". I used LUK. The mounting bolts are a different size when going to the 11" clutch [not a big deal].
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
I appreciate the extra information. I will order I will plan on ordering the LUK 11 inch clutch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Today was a day of cleaning out the engine bay and attempting to rid it of 33 years of grime. I attempted this cleaning with engine degreaser and some simple green. Oddly enough it didn't come near as clean as I hoped it would. This is okay as one can only expect so much without dismantling everything and actually taking harsh chemicals and abrasive material to it. I am not willing to do this at this time as my goal is not a complete restoration but a functional toy and hopefully daily driver.

I noticed the key was extremely difficult to turn in the column-think a lot of force to turn in both directions. I took the steering column apart to see why. It appears that the grease is actually more of a glue now, and should work well once cleaned and regreased. I noticed the blinker assembly had some broken tabs, so I removed it and put that part on the list to purchase. The center piece of the original steering wheel is dry and cracking as well.

I must say, that I find tinkering on the Bronco to be quite therapeutic. I usually only get to work on vehicles when they are broke and needing to be fixed the next day. It is relaxing to actually just tinker for fun.

I know that with our modern toys that this is rather rudimentary, but I just love this retractable hood light. I can't wait to get it going again.

My son was commenting on the "old" radio. I just smiled and told him that it was staying and how excited I was to still have the original radio.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree that it is therapeutic, even if you don't get the engine compartment spotless.  But, it'll look a lot better than it did, I'm sure.

As for the ignition switch, this time of year is when they get stiff.  There are instructions on how to remove & replace the switch itself here: Electrical/Ignition on the Ignition Switch tab.

The underhood light is a cool item.  

And the radio has some coolness itself.  But I'd like one with Bluetooth capabilities.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Mail delivery today. Time to get back to work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tomorrow will be a good day.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I'M BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!  

Some of you know that we've had live-in grandtwins for about 7 months, so not much has gotten done in the shop.  Just a bit of "computing", as in things added to the website since I could get that in between times when I was doing things with them.

And, I absolutely LOVED having them here, and would much rather be with them than in the shop.  But, all good things come to an end, and they went to their other grandparents as of yesterday and will be headed back to Nicaragua on the 3rd.  So, today I headed out to the shop and will get some "work" done media-blasting on parts for Dad's truck as well as for a friend.  (Having said that, I won't be out here tomorrow as I'm gonna watch my team beat up on David's team.  )

I'm starting with the 460 parts.  The valve covers had been painted with a coat of an aluminum-colored paint, but it blew off easily.  And then I blasted both the outside and the inside of one of the covers, as shown below.  That's because aluminum is quite porous and holds all kinds of yuk in the pores, so after blasting them you have to run the parts through the oven at 400 degrees for at least an hour before washing them again with brake cleaner and then coating them with powder.  That burns the yuk up and then it'll wash off - assuming that you have most of the yuk off before baking.

In this pic the cover in the background hasn't been blasted, but the front one has been and is ready to come out.

And in this one the covers have swapped positions, with the one in the foreground having not been blasted:

We'll see how far I get today, but wanted to put my friend David on notice, and to let my patient friend know that I actually am working on them - finally.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Gary, you may have documented it previously in another post, but do you use soda as the media for aluminium?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, I'm using coal slag.  Aluminum castings need fairly heavy abrasive in order to get things off/out of it, and lighter or softer media doesn't do that.  Plus, you don't want smooth surfaces for powder.  It needs something with "tooth" to grab hold of.

If I were doing delicate things, like a carb or pistons, then I'd go to walnut hulls and turn the pressure down.    But my experience with soda wasn't good.  It was too "soft".  Lacked "bite".  Yes, it might take paint off, but slowly.  And it breaks into DUST on impact, so doesn't seem like it would be good in a cabinet.  However, I don't know that as I've not tried it.

And, here's what I got done today.  Lots of really clean 460 parts.  Next up, probably Monday, is to melt some powder on those parts.  

1 ... 62636465666768 ... 393