WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7919 messages Options
1 ... 63646566676869 ... 396
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gee, that stuff looks vaguely familiar. I thought it had gone into a black hole, or maybe a rusty Chevrolet.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, it wasn't really a black hole.  Or even a Chevy, or a Mopar for that matter.  It was a twinvasion.  (Get it?  Twin invasion.)

Speaking of Mopars, I forgot to post a pic of the convertible parts, which I have blasted.  Wow, they were rusty.  I may run them through the blast cabinet again just to be sure the rust is gone.  And, as said in the email, the valve cover is drying from having been cleaned with brake cleaner to make sure that the baked-on oil doesn't get into the media in the blast cabinet.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well done, looks good!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!

Just realized that the bowl games don't start until 3 PM Central tomorrow.  So, I should at least get the rest of the blasting done, and maybe the 1 hour+ bake at 400 degrees.  Then starts the masking off process as we don't want powder in the intake, inside the valve covers, etc.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I did get the rest of the parts blasted today, and have just finished a 90 minute bake on the aluminum parts at 400 degrees to burn off the contaminants.

But, along the way I had a couple of a few thoughts I wanted to pass on in case one or more of you start powder coating or even media blasting.

RTV: Get all the RTV off before you blast.  Media blasting takes off a lot of things, but not RTV as the media just bounces off.  Yes, some stragglers can be blasted off, but it is much faster to get the bulk off other ways.  My favorite is to soak it in brake cleaner and then hit it with a wire brush.  For aluminum I use a brass "toothbrush".

Powder Coating: You can blast powder coating off, but it is faster to soak it prior to blasting, and O'Reilly's brake cleaner is my favorite as it will bubble powder coating, making it much easier to blast off.  And the Chrysler valve cover had powder on it that was stuck well.  (But the 460 valve covers had a thin coat of aluminum paint that almost blew off with compressed air.)

Tooth: Mark/Dyn asked yesterday if I use baking soda, and I explained that I don't because I want "tooth" to increase the adherence of the powder.  And you can see on the pic below, the surface below the powder is clearly smoooooth.

And here's the after-blasting pic, showing that the almost mirror finish is pitted, giving much better adhesion.  And, in this pic the valve cover is ready for its time in the oven to drive out the impurities, having been washed with the brake cleaner.

Last, just for grins, here's what the under side looks like:

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
FYI, the two small holes on the back side opposite end from the oil cap are for the internal baffle. This "in theory" keeps the oil inside the valve cover. These engines are famous for puking oil into the breather and soaking the air filter with oil.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, there are two tiny screws that go in those holes.  Do you want them powder coated?  Since that's going to be well-lubed, there's no chance of rust.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Probably wouldn't hurt, they get a small bead of RTV on them where they go through the cover.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
It has been a long and sordid day. I was able to get the flywheel cleaned up and the new clutch put back on the engine. As I was putting everything together, I notice the o-ring was missing from the pilot bearing. I know I didn't do anything to make it come out, and there was a small dent in the bearing surface.  Thankfully a new one came with the clutch kit. I borrowed the tool from the parts store to pull the old one out, and like every other time, the tool was work out and didn't work. I had to resort to the bread trick. Let me just say that I am amazed.

Eventually, I was able to get it all together and get the engine married to the transmission. Now I can start putting the other stuff back together. I will upgrade the ignition coil and distributor. Any suggestions are appreciated as I do more research.

I am also reading and trying to decide on a smog delete. Just not sure yet. I really don't know enough about the pros and cons.

William
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Not sure why my I'm ages are flipped.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This forum, like most, doesn't have the smarts to read the metadata in the pic and properly orient the picture.  I usually find that just opening the pic in and editing program and then saving it properly orients it for forum use.  But, it didn't work for me earlier today, and I don't know what I did wrong.

Anyway, glad you got the bearing out.  I've used grease but not bread nor newspaper, but I've heard they work.

As for the smog delete, the AIR pump doesn't take much power, but the components fail and aren't always easy to find.  Especially some of the tubing that is prone to corrosion.  But you can delete that system and leave the rest.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped, but what else is new?  

The part I'd forgotten was how many openings the lower plenum for an EFI'd 460 has.  All of those openings need to be plugged or masked off to ensure powder doesn't go in there.  

Plus, I don't like to put powder on the gasket surfaces, or for that matter the underside for fear that the powder might let go for some reason and get into the oiling system - like the Nylon did about 1970 in GM's engines.  So I mask off all gasket surfaces as well as the bottom.

And, that's it for the day - one lower plenum masked off.  In my defense, that's tedious work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks good sir, those things do have a lot of holes, although I suspect the through holes for the 16 hold down fasteners might not be a huge issue.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Since I had the bottom of the hole blocked with the aluminum foil I was afraid that there would be a buildup of powder if I didn't plug the top.  Conversely, I worried that if I punched through the aluminum foil I would provide a point of entry for the powder to the bottom of the plenum.

Given all that, I plugged them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Disclaimer - Not My Truck.  (But, at least it is sorta a Bullnose.   )

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I could have sworn a 1986 was a Bullnose. The title and registration still say 1986. Those are going to look nice of the new engine!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  And it looks like a Bullnose on the outside.  But under the hood and the dash don't quite look like what Ford shipped out those year.  

I think they'll look very nice on there.  How close are you to getting the engine ready for them?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Well done! They look great.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Engine is ready for them, it's just not ready to be inserted in Darth, that will be a warmer weather several day project. Part of which will be a frame degreasing while everything is accessible. Doghouse off so it will be wide open. Nice part, since I have the later harnesses, it will be easy to separate the front clip. Take the 76 pin firewall connector off, 104 pin EEC-V connector, unplug the A/C harness to front harness plugs. Put a strap on the hood and secure it back and up. Use one of the tractors to push the truck in, lift the old engine out, support the front of the E4OD, pull the truck out and wash everything down. Also be a good time to install the Saginaw pump.

Probably give the frame a coat of paint after it is degreased. Once it is cleaned, new torque converter seal and probably a fluid change on the E4OD.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you have the project well mapped out.  And the parts should be there late next week or the week after.  I have the fasteners masked and ready, so just have to mask the Chizzler valve cover and then I can PC that lot.  Then sand and clear-coat it, and PC the konvertible parts.

By the way, do you want the konvertible parts clear-coated?  If I'm doing the valve cover I could.

1 ... 63646566676869 ... 396