WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7845 messages Options
1 ... 57585960616263 ... 393
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

85lebaront2
Administrator
What's a smog pump? I used to have dual smoke grinders on Darth, but when I went to EFI, the only function it has is to put air in mid catalyst (between the reducing and oxidizing beds) since a 1986 > 8500 GVW was exempt from a cat, I could not see just having it spin away and do nothing.

For Gary, as requested, here is the picture of the inboard coil bracket stud. It is 5/16-18, the bolt portion is 3/8-16.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by ctubutis
2 x 19 gal tanks + whatever gas cans & stuff I come up with.

I am probably over-thinking this and fearing the worst, I haven't ever driven the truck this far or this long before and am not really sure at what rate the needle is gonna drop to E.

But it has a $5,000 front-end alignment + new tires + new 5yr plates so I figured, What the Hell. :)

The power port thing is mostly because it has a USB charger on it, I can use it to power an MP3 player that I'll plug into the car stereo via one of those electronic cassette tape cartridges with a mini-jack on it.

My cowl area is filled up with pine tree needles & leaves, the thing was parked in my brother's back yard for 5+ years.

I am bringing the roll of duct tape along with me on this trip. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
In reply to this post by ctubutis
ctubutis wrote
I leave mine off, I installed it only for the Emissions test (after which time I got Antique plates and don't need to worry about it again until I sell it :)).

Your name is Nathan or Nolan or close to that, correct? You're in Greeley?

Hi, I'm Chris, I'm down in Littleton/Centennial, that CL link caught my attention (that thing is/was <5mi from my house) which later resulted in my learning about your EFI problem. But is that the truck that got totaled by the insurance company from hail damage?
Nathan and yes I'm in Greeley.  Nice to meet you.  This is the truck totaled by hail.  I thought about leaving the pump off also, but it honestly runs much smoother with it on.  Had a rough idle and seemed a bit down on power.

As much as I'd like to get another Bullnose, I also found a 1968 Falcon Futura that is in really good shape and in my budget.....
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nathan - That Futura would be a cool ride.  We won't hold it against you, and please don't go away.

Chris - A $5000 front end alignment????  Most of these trucks don't cost that much!  What all did you have done?

Bill - Thanks for the pic!  Helps a bunch.  But, another question: Was thinking through things today and looking at your pics.  There are 33,299 fasteners for the waterpump, and 112 more for the timing cover.  But, I don't see any need to pull any of that when I convert to EFI, so is there a compelling reason to change out the bolts?  The water pump nor the timing cover leak, and if I'm not changing out the cam they don't need to come off.  Yes, the front main seal leaks, but that can be replaced w/o pulling anything.

Thoughts?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, where did you get those numbers? The EFI timing cover is pretty much the same, but it may be clearanced for the alternator mount lower bolt. Water pump, if I were you, I would go to the later pump, the bearing and shaft size were increased in 1992 I believe due to the polygroove belts putting a greater down load on the pump pulley leading to this:

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Was counting bolts and ran out of fingers and toes, so guestimated.  

Anyway, you suggest going with the later pump.  But, if I remember correctly, I need to make sure the pump pulley is either drilled for the larger bolt pattern and shaft size or make it so before I powder coat it.  Right?

And, if going with a later pump I might as well go with stainless fasteners.  But still no need to pull the timing cover.  Right?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Chris - A $5000 front end alignment????  Most of these trucks don't cost that much!  What all did you have done?
Basically, rebuild the front TTB (lots of bearings & seals) and related suspension/steering stuff; RedHead box; custom-made dual front shock mounts. $3500 in parts.

He figured out my back brake problem; hardware was OK, but one side had both front shoes and the other had the rears.

The guy who did the work is a friend of my engine machinist and runs a small shop where he usually works on medium-duty-size trucks, I wouldn't know who to go to once he retires. This was originally a project I was hoping to do myself one summer, but I've had the truck over 10 years and it still hasn't happened so I figured I need to either farm out the job or throw it away and get something that doesn't need so much work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Should be in good shape then.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Probably not, unless you find something (like the oil slinger) missing when the pan is off or the timing chain is questionable.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Timing chain is almost new.  But I might pull the cover just to clean it.  There's been a lot of oil slung over and around it.  And with the cover off it'll be easier to replace the seal.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Backwards again!
Got out to the garage at 4am before it got hot and I went off to work.
I wanted to get the stat and new housing back on.
This is what the old stat looked like and I had the motor running a few times too.

So I pulled the 2 plugs out of the new housing put sealer on 1 and put it back in.
The other opening is for the heater hose fitting, put sealer on the hose fitting and go to screw it in and ...... HOUSTON WE HAHVE A PROBLEM!
The heater hose fitting is to big to screw into the housing!

So going to have to think  this one over for a fix.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Chinese aftermarket anyone? Classic case of a manufacturer's MBA staff saying "oh we sell X of this one and only Y of that one, so let's just list X for all 1965-1996 4.9L Ford engines.

I ran into that years ago on my 1971 Colony Park, there were originally 3 tailpipes listed for the Ford/Mercury wagons of that era. a 1 3/4" 1 7/8"and a 2". Several manufacturers consolidated to the 1 7/8" because it was the most common (for the 302 and 351W), I had a 429 which took the 2" (it may have been bigger). When the parts store tried to give me a 1 7/8" tailpipe and said, "Oh, you'll need this reducer if the muffler hasn't been changed." I asked him how that 429 was going to breath through an already, really too small system by restricting it more. His reply "That's what they list.".
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
I didn't do it, but got the windshield replaced today.  Had the guy leave the chrome trim off so I can attempt to remove some of the hail damage and salvage the parts instead of $400+ for new stuff.

My breakout boxes also came in today.  Now I just need it to rain so I can do some diagnostics.... That being said the windshield was the original so maybe replacing it will make the no start after rain disappear....

I did end up with 2 breakout boxes so I'll be posting one for sale.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Got the cowl lifted and cleaned out the debris under there with a vacuum and patience.  Seems there should be a better way.

If you hose that out with water, will it go down and out the fender? The plastic pieces at the bottom of the fender are hanging anyway. Something I intend to fix. Thought I could make it easy to open.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
grumpin wrote
Got the cowl lifted and cleaned out the debris under there with a vacuum and patience.  Seems there should be a better way.

If you hose that out with water, will it go down and out the fender? The plastic pieces at the bottom of the fender are hanging anyway. Something I intend to fix. Thought I could make it easy to open.
There is a better way.
Pull off the left & right plastic kick panels.
If you don't have AC you should be able to reach down inside and pull out hands full of crap.
If you have AC undo the 4 screws that hold that cover plate on and remove the plate, you should be able to reach down inside and pull out hands full of crap.

Yes you should be able to run the water hose down inside the cowl to wash out some of the crap.

Water should come the "duck bill" seal. It is the black "duck bill" looking thing just to the left and below the lower hinge. There is one on each side.
Now you may need to open the "bill" to get the larger crap out.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Great! Thanks Dave! I'll look into that next time. Picture is a great help.

Actually, I probably need to go look in there. I got the stuff from the top today.

Might be awhile though. Had a one step on one side and a two step on the other. Did the one step off the two step and hit the ground pretty hard. Guess I should have done the Texas Two Step!

I'm feeling it now. Think I better go see the Doc..

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  Sorry to see that.  Hope nothing is broken or damaged.  Hitting the ground hard, worse yet "pretty hard", is not good news.  Please let us know after seeing the Doc.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Thanks. Hopefully all is ok. Pretty sore this morning!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I didn't actually do anything to my truck today, but I did pick up another M5OD 5spd transmission.

I'm not sure why...I don't even need one, but it was cheap I figured it might be handy to have as a spare, and perhaps I'll pull it apart and rebuild it this winter. The one in my truck now came out of a 1991 F250, and the one I picked up today appears to have originally been in an 89-90 F150 4x2 with 2.73-3.08 rear diff.

And...if I do find another Bullnose project that is to my liking, then maybe it will end up being a 5spd too;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't realize that the M5OD-R2 was available in the F250.  But, my page on manual transmissions confirms it if you know what to look for.

As explained by Core Shifters, Ford used the term M5OD to refer to both the ZF as well as the Mazda-built unit.  But, in the catalog they are differentiated by "TK" for Toyo Kogyo, which is the arm of Mazda that built them, and "ZF".  The TK was used in F250's below 8500 GVWR, and the ZF above that.

So, it would seem that the TK would be a great tranny for many of these trucks.  It gives an OD, albeit only .80 vs the .72 of the ZF, so you can use taller gears with it than with the ZF.  Cool!

Does the new tranny have a tag on it?

1 ... 57585960616263 ... 393