WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7917 messages Options
1 ... 54555657585960 ... 396
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see, lots needing replies.

First, I haven't found Cherokees to be difficult to deal with.  Perhaps it is the fact that she's only a 3/16 Cherokee?  

Second, we are gaining momentum, and while the 2018 show will be great the 2019 will be even better.  So, mark your calendars if you can't be here this year.

Third, I haven't tried pulling the resistor pack, but that's a good idea.  However, with Big Blue having the pin-cushion cowl I doubt anything has gotten in there.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Ford F834 wrote
1986F150Six wrote
I want to encourage everyone to do this final item as we all know how and that it is important, but sometimes put this job off. I am talking about cleaning the duct work supplying air for the A/C, vent, heat, etc.
Excellent suggestion David! I was appalled at the amount of build up in both my trucks.
This time, I also removed the resister pack which opened a window to the evaporator coil, so I could actually see the "stuff" resting on the bottom. It is not necessary, but I am glad I did.
That is a really good idea, especially since the resistor coils like to catch leaves. It a perfect tinder box. If you find more than just a little bit in the condenser housing, it’s fairly easy to remove the driver side half of the HVAC box. There is one bolt/nut under the dash in the passenger foot area, little screws around the box seam, and one square clip. That’s it, and you can get to both sides of the condenser. You can vacuum/wipe out a lot from there.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I forgot to update back on 7/4:
I tighten up the ALT belt and it is charging and no belt noise.

Picked up a radiator cap and installed it but before I did I saw there was some white crust build up in the radiator that I want to see if I can "treat it" before I put the truck into service.

I tried to add more threads to the ebrake add on adjuster and it failed so I cut a short section of tubing to take up more on the cable. Nope ebrake still dose not hold so I really have to look deeper into this now.

I sanded down the body filler on the hood. Do you know what its like to sand filler on a paper sheet that keeps flexing? It still has some low spots, will have to put another skim coat of filler on it.

Today 7/15:
I pulled the radiator to "treat" the crust. What I am trying is a mild acid .... vinegar. Got it laying flat in the bed of the truck and used almost a full gallon to put the tubes under liquid. I will let it sit till maybe next weekend or longer. If that does not work I will look into something stronger.

Then it was on to mixing body filler for the hood and the rear panel of the bed under the tail gate as it had a little dent.
That rear panel was the easy part and is ready for primer.

Now that hood is a different story. Remember the sanding filler on paper, still the same deal, flexing and hard to sand flat.
It may still have low spots and after spending hours on it I am not happy with it and think once paint is on it will look like crap!

The whole time I am thinking of looking over the hood that came on my truck again. It had some rust thru by 1 of the hinges and why I went with bent one.

Being depressed about the hood out come and being 98* in the garage I called it a day.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I missed your post somehow.  Sorry!  

But I can imagine what it is like to sand a piece of paper flat.  It has to be frustrating.  Is the adhesive not holding the skin to the ribs?

As for what I did to/with my truck today, I slid it sideways.  Was driving Big Blue to a friend's house and we had a little shower come up.  Just enough to raise the oil and dirt in the pavement.  Turned a corner and touched the gas and gave those stopped at the intersection quite a show.  She went past 45 degrees sideways and I came off the gas and steered into it.  Got it lined back up and gave it a bit of throttle and it walked sideways again.

Apparently those Torsen/Detroit Trutracs are quick to lock up in slick conditions.  So, with one in the front and one in the back, Big Blue may be a handful in snow.    

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The "Boss" sang about you!

"Well Jimmy Lee was hookin' 'round the far turn of a funky southern Florida dirt track
He had mud caked on his goggles and a screamin' 350 stacked up on his back
Well as he passed the stands he was feelin' all tuckered out,
When through the roar of his engine he heard somebody shout
"Stand on it, come on boy, stand on it"

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

I'd forgotten about that one.  When I think of The Boss I usually remember:

Glory days, well, they'll pass you by
Glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

And, in looking for those lyrics I learned something -  Glory Days was written in '84 and was released on a single in '85 - the B side of which was Stand On It.  Seems quite fitting for Bullnose trucks in general and Big Blue in particular.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote

I'd forgotten about that one.  When I think of The Boss I usually remember:

Glory days, well, they'll pass you by
Glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

And, in looking for those lyrics I learned something -  Glory Days was written in '84 and was released on a single in '85 - the B side of which was Stand On It.  Seems quite fitting for Bullnose trucks in general and Big Blue in particular.  
 True!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Well, I've been AWOL a few weeks. Hail season here and I do some seasonal work as a crop adjuster.

Makes a little spare $$$ to spend on my trucks later this winter.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - I missed your post somehow.  Sorry!  

But I can imagine what it is like to sand a piece of paper flat.  It has to be frustrating.  Is the adhesive not holding the skin to the ribs?

Apparently those Torsen/Detroit Trutracs are quick to lock up in slick conditions.  So, with one in the front and one in the back, Big Blue may be a handful in snow.    
I removed the skin from the frame, big mistake, to fix the dent as I could not pull in out the way I wanted.
When I put it back together I did glue the skin to the frame again, don't remember what I used at this time, but it is where the frame is not is where you cant press to sand.
So between the areas the frame is and is not makes for high & low spots when sanding.
If I get out to the garage today I will rethink this hood deal as there had to be a better way.

I have a Lock Right Locker in my factory v8 Gremlin, 96 in wheel base car. That was fun in the rain around corners, short wheel base would come right around with no warning!
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Interesting, I have the factory limited slip in Darth, biggest issue I run into, one of my neighbors has a deep piled, not packed down gravel driveway, if I try to turn around the front wheels will get stuck in the loose gravel and if I am not careful the rear duals will start spinning and spray it everywhere.

Locking differentials, my 1966 GT350 had a 3.89 gear with a Detroit Locker which is a ratchet style unit. The faster turning axle freewheels so on a turn the inside rear does all the driving. I never had a problem in either rain or even snow. I think the wheelbase on the early Mustangs was 106", but the weight distribution was on the order of 55/45 so it wasn't super nose heavy at 2800 lbs (amazing what some light front end parts and limited sound deadening does). I could spin both rear wheels very easily if I wanted to, but in the 11 years I owned it, had learned how to drive it smoothly.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - Missed your post.  We've missed you.  And while it is hail season here, we've not had any this summer.  Nor have we had any rain.  The lake is down 2' and the grass is withering.

Dave - Missed your post as well. Have you figured out how to sand the hood?  I could ask my paint/body guy if he has any tips if you'd like.

As for the diff, that would be a hoot in such a short wheelbased vehicle.  At least on Big Blue the 133" gives you a bit of time to react, although it seemed instantaneous.

Bill - The factory clutches were totally worn out on Dad's truck when I got it.  We got stuck in a pasture with one wheel spinning and had to use 4wd to get out.  But it won't spin now - the clutches are Kevlar and they really hold.

Big Blue's Detroit Trutrac diff's are supposed to be friendly and gently, according to their webpage:

Operation of the Truetrac is smooth, quiet and automatic. The unit will engage without any driver knowledge or action required.

And, while the bit about smooth and quiet is true, the bit about no driver action required may be a bit of a stretch.  Unless you don't mind crashing you'd better take some action quickly, like backing off the throttle.  That thing would have gone right on around had I not backed off on the first corner as I hit it a bit too fast and had plenty of momentum in the rear to bring it around.  But on the second corner I probably could have held it sideways for quite a while since I hit the corner slower and was expecting it.

Still, it may prove to be difficult to drive for the uninitiated in snow.  I grew up slip-sliding away, regardless of the nearness of my destination, so understand a bit about what can happen and what to do about it.  I'm not sure how experienced my offspring are in that regard.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
Dave - Missed your post as well. Have you figured out how to sand the hood?  I could ask my paint/body guy if he has any tips if you'd like.

As for the diff, that would be a hoot in such a short wheelbased vehicle.  At least on Big Blue the 133" gives you a bit of time to react, although it seemed instantaneous.

I have not put any time in on the hood, body work and hate doing it. I don't really see a way short of some how supporting the open area. You cant push it up too high or when you pull it out it is now too low.

It would not be bad if your eye would not really see it like the roof and mine has it's own "rolling hills" but the hood is not the place that works.
I have to dig the hood out that came on the truck and look it over but I think that's the way I will be going.

On the rear / locker you had to be on your A game!
In the dry because the rear was locked, when under normal power turning corners the tires would squeal. You had to watch for police for "improper start" tickets so in the glove box with the reg & insur papers I had the paper for the locker that said would make noise on corners.

If you went real easy it would hardly make noise.
If you were rolling (off the power) around corners the locker would make clicking noise that everyone could hear. Yep even people on the corner would turn and look it was that loud.

Once you knew what the car would do in the rain it was fun but I would not use the car if I knew it was going to rain just to be safe.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
From the information on the Lock Right Locker, it looks like my Detroit Locker I had in my Shelby, it was for a 9" Ford with 31 spline axles (Carroll didn't take chances on things failing on the track). It used to scare the h*** out of the uninitiated but the weight distribution and the F70-14 tires along with the 106" wheelbase helped. When I autocrossed it I ran G60-15 tires recaped with Goodyear racing rubber. I can appreciate the squirreliness of the Germlin, AMC's V8s are a bit heavier than the small Windsor blocks, but my first car was a 1964 Falcon 2dr sedan with a 260 V8, factory A/C and 3 speed, 102" wheelbase and the engine sat way forward compared to a Mustang. For reference, the motor mount brackets on the Falcon were mounted in front of the lower control arm pivot, on the Mustangs it is the same piece swapped side for side so it sits behind the lower control arm pivot. On the Falcon I had almost no room between the factory flex fan and the radiator, on the Shelby, same radiator, 4" spacer between the 4 blade fan and water pump pulley.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - I think the idea of checking the other hood out is a good one.  A hood is not where you want waves as you'll be looking at them all the time you are driving.

Bill - The Falcons were very light in the rear.  My best friend and I took one out for cruising one night and that 260 would light the tires easily.  But I didn't know about the mounts being flipped in a 'Stang.

As for the rear diff, I like the way the Truetrac does its work in silence.  And, save for the incident in the rain, it hasn't caused any tire squalls or even chirps.  But it is pretty obvious that it locks up in the rain.  Should work fine on the trail, but can be a handful on the street.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Installed the new NOS Battery Hold down and J Bolts!

Thanks 1986F150Six!

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
This will start out off-topic but it has a truck ending ha ha.

As some of you know I’m in the process of moving to a new place. It hasn’t been lived in for a while, and we discovered that the refrigerator didn’t work, and the kitchen stove was quite frankly not worth cleaning. In addition to human funk, the front door of the house had come open and pigeons had been hanging out inside. so we started looking for a used propane cook stove on the online yard sale groups and found one. Don’t laugh, it’s a 1926 Detroit Star... and yes we fully intend to use it for cooking. The only real flaw that I can see is that one of the cast iron (?) burner grates has a crack. Gary, if you happen to see Scott perhaps you could ask if he has any advice about getting this welded?

I know I am a biased antique lover, but man the design and craftsmanship that this has is completely lacking in its modern counterparts.

So we had the bad fridge and gross stove plus a set of six metal frame chairs piled outside as yard art. I decided to take them for recycle at the junkyard on one of my moving runs.... and while at the junkyard you wouldn’t begrudge me a quick trip inside right? I ended up leaving with a 460 ZF. It has been rebuilt at some point as evidenced by grey paint and crimp punches on the holes for the springs in the top cover.

Yes, I have the shift tower... but I had to remove it to get the transmission out. The rear seal had fallen out and will need replaced. The front input shaft does have a very tiny amount of play in it. I have been told that ANY amount of play indicates the need for a full rebuild, but I am starting to question that. It seems like any linkage between components like that need to be able to give at least a tiny amount. I don’t think you want a bunch of slop but I don’t know if a tiny bit is something to panic over. I’m guessing that most ZF’s in use would be that way if you removed it and checked it. Anyway, I need to clean it, pull the PTO covers and have a better look, but for now it goes straight into storage.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Nice hearing from you, Jonathan! The kitchen stove is beautiful!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Yes, that kitchen stove certainly is beautiful.  Man, they put flair into things back then.  Might that be art deco?

And, I'll ask Scott about the burner grate, but he may suggest you bring it.

Also, that's a good find on the ZF.  Is it a 42 or 47?  And, it is the 4wd version I see.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary... I may just hold out and bring the stove piece. Someone already welded it together about an inch away. That weld held but it broke in a new spot. I really want this done right since it isn’t just decoration for us 🙂

The ZF is a 42, wide ratio 460 Bell. I’m probably just going to clean and re-seal it, drill the bell for the IDI and put it in. The ratios will work well if I use the GVOD.

1 ... 54555657585960 ... 396