classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
150 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm probably going to run the wiring inside the hood ribs, like I have it now.

I think 1 meter ... 39 3/8~" will allow for that to a somewhat centralized switch, or the mercury bulb I already have.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, I just got told by Amazon that they can't get the LED strips that were "in stock, Prime" when I ordered them. 😡

But I did get a plug from Gary and intend to wire up my switch this afternoon, if the rain stops.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a bummer.  Hope you get the switch wired up, but what the plan now, Stan?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have an LED version of an 1156 in the socket now.
It works well enough, and I very rarely use it.
I can wait.

I also need to weigh the idea of using a mercury switch.
I do have the bulbs, but wonder if they ever flash the lights going over bumps and such.

There's plenty of other projects for Li'l Red.
Like cab mounts, new insulation and a rubber mat, replacing the lower right bed corner, rebuilding the front end, finding a door that isn't rotted out, then painting the rest of the truck (from the fenders back)

Keeping junk alive is a full time task and I find it really hard to be motivated.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
But you were motivated on the LED strips, so it is a shame that can't continue.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'll be stripping the fused power from my distribution module as soon as I can figure out how to keep the wires in the plug & socket.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Dane, that Braun worklite is on sale for $27....

https://flyer.harborfreight.com/june-2020-ad/page/1
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good price.

I was looking at their Icon metric wrenches last night. Need some good ones, but can’t really justify Snap-On’s. Although I am considering them.

Best price I found.

https://www.shamrocksupply.com/itemDetailFilterPH.action?RFP=SP&kwd=DRI&IDP=Y&codeId=20963052
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
$12 off 39 is substantial.

Dane,
For wrenches go to the Cripe Distributing site.
They have DEEP discounts on brands like Wright, Proto, Gearwrench, NAPA, Allen, etc..

I haven't seen Snap-Off there, and doubt I will.
But Cripe will combine shipping on orders and save you money, just like Tabco does with body panels.

They're in Boise and great people!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Unless you're really set on Snap-On check these guys out:

https://cripedistributing.com/

I have a few Snap-On/BluePoint tools, but I don't see the value and I'd rather buy American at their prices.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh!
Amazon just confirmed shipment of my LED's.

So this thread is back on track.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Uh, yea....  😐

I'll put it at the top of my list when they get here.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And, they're here.

I think this is where I'm going with them.

You can see the existing 1156 style LED
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have some grommets for where the wires pass inside the hood.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The front locations look ideal as they'll shower the whole engine compartment with light.  And while your body will block light from some of the LEDs hitting whatever you are working on, light from the others should fill in.

But will the light from the rear strips be right in your eyes?  I guess there's no way to know but try them there.

And, remind me of where the switch is going to be?  I'm thinking of why you have the wiring pointing in the directions you do.  I know you have a plan.....

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can see the whole for the existing switch behind the wire, about 4" left of the 1156 LED I have mounted now.

I suppose I could mount the lower LED's right up along the hinges so they are pointing more 'down', but I'll have to see what their spread is.

I've had to do things back by the rear vacuum tree and oil pressure sender, so I want to make sure I have light without having to pull the air cleaner
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was wondering about placing the lights where the yellow arrows are.  Is there a way you can put them in place temporarily to test?  Maybe a few magnets?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I could certainly do that, but think I'd rather have them on the rearmost pair of diagonals.

I want light back at the firewall.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Then what about where the green arrows are?  I'm just looking for a way to direct it and keep it out of your eyes.