1 ... 345678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's what I'm saying.

But since they're already on, I'm going to try it as soon as I find my bag of waterproof marine switches.

I have a bunch from when I was making control centers for the rocket club.
There was always a lot of dew, even if we didn't have a shower.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ok, I moved them...

The draw is so small my inductive ammeter doesn't register.
I guess I'll have to pull the plug Gary so graciously shared with me.
The switch is rated 20A @ 12V so there's no problem there
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That looks PERFECT!  Hopefully you'll take a shot tonight in the dark, but I can already see what looks like very even lighting.

And, with that little draw it won't hurt much if you leave it on.  But, there will be strange glow under the truck, so it'll be rather obvious.   
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was working overnight and ended up dragging the F-600 to Stamford.
But I missed on the sale????
It has a new home on a farm.
I may still deal with the owner about the OEM handles.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  I thought that was going to be the answer for you.

As for the handles, if you can make a deal easily then great.  But if not, don't worry.  And thanks either way.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, bummer
Here in CT you can get 60 day temporary (cardboard) tags in order to get your new vehicle to/from a repair shop and through DMV inspection.
If I had known Big Red was going to be sold on the spot I would have left a deposit and spent my day hustling.

Anyway, I DO have my eyes open (even in the dark)

And now....

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks Dane.

While it isn't the underhood work light Scott was originally asking about, it seems he's found a decent LED replacement for the #90 bulb in those.  

And I have a much superior answer to my old corncob 1156 breakdown lamp.

In relocating the lower strips the double sided tape actually ripped the paint off, so I don't think I have a problem with them coming loose.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Wow!  That's good illumination.  It appears to be even and thorough.  

I may well want to do that on Big Blue - after I get a number of other things done and him on the road.  And I might put a connector on the side of the underhood light and use its mercury switch to bring both the to-be LED in it as well as those strips on.

I wonder if those strips would work nicely under the "gunnels", if you will, in the bed?  The bed light on the back of the cab provides little light, but those strips might be ideal.  And I could bring them on with the bed light.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You could, but that would necessitate a connection between cab and bed.

I have small LED flood lights on my rack, and they get power through a waterproof co-axial connector where the bed light (or third brake light) would be.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
True.  But that connection could be out of the floor or sill area and have a loop and then go up into the bed.  Perhaps that is one of the things a switch in a Highliner would be good for.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sure, why not?

I have a micro toggle in the bezel of my dome light to switch them on and off.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Nice job Jim! That really lights it up.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I like the lights in the bed idea.

My cargo light illuminates the top of my big toolbox and the top of the tailgate!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I do too. Can the stake pockets be accessed from underneath as a routing path? I can look later but haven't ever needed to before.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The stake pockets on Dad's truck aren't easily accessible from underneath.  In fact, the front one doesn't go to the floor as it is grafted onto the side of the bed.

However, there's a hole on the inside of the front pocket towards the top where wires could come out.  And there's a hole on the front of the rear pocket near the top.  So it may be possible to drill from underneath into the rear stake pocket and come out that hole near the top.  But then you'd have to get through the middle stake pocket.

I wonder if you could get into the middle stake pocket from the bottom and then fan out from there?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
Which is why I don't have a cargo light but went with a tiny flood light on each side.

I can see into my Knaack boxes in the winter when it's dark leaving for and coming from work.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I think the center pocket is somewhere above the wheel well.
I'd rather go with the loom and come up in the taillights.
There's a clear path, existing mounts and easy access.

Honestly, I think just the section between middle and rear stake pocket would provide plenty of light.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I  am sure I'd somehow drill up and miss the stake pocket so coming from the taillights is promising. I am sold. After seeing how bright your hood lights are I agree that just the back half would be plenty. But if that's plenty then having them full length is even 'more plenty'! (Insert Tim the Toolman grunt)
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
MOAR POWER!     
 Jim,
1 ... 345678