150 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I've just switched my incandescent #90 bulb to an LED.  I used an LED advertised as GRV Ba15d 1076 1142 COB 1511 LED Lights for Vehicle Boat 2.5Watt Double Contact Bayonet Base With Glass Cover from Amazon.  And while it is slightly longer than the #90 bulb it still fits under the lens nicely.

In my typical style I've done some testing to see what the difference is.  Basically I find that it is ~4x brighter than an incandescent #90.  And it does that while pulling 1/3 the current - .2a vs .6a for the incandescent.

How did I determine that?  But using my camera as a light meter and a lab power supply that kept the voltage constant.

In the pics below the incandescent bulb is on the left and the LED is on the right.  And you are highly likely to say "Wait!  The lighting looks to be roughly the same!"  Indeed it is, which is exactly the way an automagic camera works - it exposes the image for different lengths of time and/or lens openings to achieve the same picture, regardless of the amount of light.

But, when you go look at the "camera information" in the file you can see the differences.  In both of the shots below the camera held the lens opening to f3.7 and the ISO setting to 1600.  Plus, I kept the zoom to 4.5 mm and the over/under exposure option to 0.  So, other than the shutter speed they were identical shots.

To capture the image on the left, the incandescent bulb lit one, the camera held the shutter open for .6 seconds.  But to get the one on the right it held it open for only .166 seconds.  The amount of light is an inverse relationship with the shutter speed since all else was held equal.  And .6 divided by .166 is 3.6.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Excellent! Thanks for those test and providing another option for users. I have that one saved in my cart.

Where is the temp difference after X minutes test though?
That #90 gets blistering hot in no time.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good question.  The LED had been shining brightly for over an hour so I touched it and found it just a bit too warm to hold my finger on.  So I got the infrared thermometer and the hottest I could find was 160 degrees.

Then I lit up the incandescent and after a couple of minutes I could find 280 degrees.  And, there was no way I could touch it for any time at all w/o getting burned.

So, there's a BIG difference in temp.  Which is pretty well confirmed by the current pulled and the wattage rating.  At 14 volts and .6 amps the #90 was pulling 8.4 watts, which is close to its rating of 8 watts.  But the LED pulled .2 amps so it was pulling 2.8 watts, which again is close to its rating of 2.4 watts.  (Maybe both were rated at a bit lower voltage?)

So you might think that the LED would put out 1/3 the heat of the incandescent bulb: 8.4 divided by 2.9 = 3.0.  But it also put out more light, which is a form of energy as well and that has to be subtracted from the wattage pulled.  Given that, the LED has to be turning the current into maybe 1/4th or 1/5th as much heat as the #90 incandescent does?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me answer the question about heat a different way.  I left the underhood light on for over an hour and then put my hand on the lens gingerly.  To my surprise it was just barely warm.  Couldn't even have been 100 degrees.  I think we have a winner.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator

To me that is as much or more a benefit as the extra brightness. I left my hood open for a few hours at the show the other weekend and it was nice to not worry about the light (heat) being left on the while time.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree.  Here's what can happen to that lens with an incandescent bulb:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
LED's are a lot more efficient!
(About 8x, in my basic comparisons with incandescent)

This is the sort of thing I like my non-contact IR thermometer for.
Quantifying, instead of "bathwater" or  "coffee"
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That underhood light is definitely one I want to replace and like many, more for the heat issue than the light. Bulb burned out long ago, but have not replace it just because of the heat.

The two courtesy lights just under the dash on both sides are #89, I think. Can I ask what you guys are using in those?    

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Machspeed wrote
The two courtesy lights just under the dash on both sides are #89, I think. Can I ask what you guys are using in those?
I am using these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/courtesy-light-bulb/67-led-light-bulb-12-smd-led-tower-ba15s-base/3698/?year=1986&make=28&model=796&scc_id=1452

I originally had some generic ones in there that flickered a lot. Very happy with these. They look a lot better than the exposed ones also since these have the dome/cover on them.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator

I am using these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/courtesy-light-bulb/67-led-light-bulb-12-smd-led-tower-ba15s-base/3698/?year=1986&make=28&model=796&scc_id=1452

I originally had some generic ones in there that flickered a lot. Very happy with these. They look a lot better than the exposed ones also since these have the dome/cover on them.

Thanks Scott, great website!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
1 ... 5678